Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325732 - 12/27/05 12:50 PM Power pro to Mono
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Just bloodknoted some 30 lb power pro to 10 lb Izor green. Knot seems rock solid, did some mondo backyard hook-sets with the drag pretty tight....I hate to learn new knots, sooo, will this one work thru a few steelies? Anyboby routinely use this knot?? .......C/22

#325733 - 12/27/05 01:21 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Here is the recomended knot for Power Pro to mono.
http://www.powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp

#325734 - 12/27/05 01:25 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
I feel more secure with a double uni-knot myself. Bloodknot is OK if you KNOW it is right.

The reason for this is not just that the uni is easier to tie but because braids and mono are DISPARATE materials. When you tie a double uni you are actually securing the braid to itself and the mono to itself and letting them slide down on each other to lock up. Knots are always stronger when they can seat to the same type material. Hope this helps.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325735 - 12/27/05 01:49 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brad,

I used to use the double blood knot when adding mono to PP, until I went for a hook set one time and came up with nothing but the PP..leader gone!

I use the double-uni knot and it holds superb. Easy to tie, and I'll be glad to show it to you in March if you have not already mastered it by then. Once you have done a few it gets much faster and easier to tie!

Mike

#325736 - 12/27/05 02:01 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
I only use the uni not for PowerPro, too!

#325737 - 12/27/05 03:27 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
chrome/22 Offline

I don't have that Gene. The one that connects the line drawing of the knot to the brain to the hands. You should have seen my fishing buddy teach me the egg loop, took most of the night and a bottle of Tangle Ridge....C/22

#325738 - 12/27/05 03:40 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
chrome/22 Offline

Ok, I Cowboyed-up (NOT brokeback mt. type!!) And looked over the knot. I actually think I can do this one, without the wiskey...C/22 :p

#325739 - 12/27/05 04:16 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Another way to join the two lines is with two nail knots. Much like the uni to uni knot but requires the use of a nail knot tool.

#325740 - 12/27/05 04:18 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Improved cinch knot ...... I use this for tieing mono to braided line, mono to swivels, mono to crane swivels, mono to plugs......hey bottom line, this is the only knot I use!!!!!

\:D Just make sure you "wet" the knot before you pull it tight!!! Works for me!!!

I went back and found the site that teaches "How to tie knots"

http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#325741 - 12/27/05 04:23 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
Anonymous
Unregistered

Drifter: That is another knot that I USED to use to connect PP and mono.

If it locks up tight, you are good to go...but I have also had Power Pro slip out of that knot.

I do use the Improved cinch knot for 90% of my tackle, thought. It is excellent for tying on hooks, etc.

The Uni-Uni has never failed me for the PP/mono application.

Mike

#325742 - 12/27/05 04:26 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by chrome/22:
Ok, I Cowboyed-up (NOT brokeback mt. type!!) And looked over the knot. I actually think I can do this one, without the wiskey...C/22 :p
LOL! What, no Yukon to "grease the brain" for better tying??

I've got hands that work like feet, and an equal lack of coordination/dexterity with stumpy, arthritic fingers. If *I* can tie that knot then anyone can!!

Mike

#325743 - 12/27/05 04:27 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
chrome/22 Offline

Drifter!!!! You just made my day! Now I got the Gene, baby....C/22

#325744 - 12/28/05 12:25 AM Re: Power pro to Mono
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
We use the uni to uni knot in the store to splice power pro to dacron backing on the reel. Also works with mono.

I have given up on the improved clinch knot and use the Palomar know for tying on hooks, swivels, etc. Much stronger and easier to tie when your hands turn to claws because they are cold and wet. Just tie a bigger loop.

#325745 - 12/28/05 02:34 AM Re: Power pro to Mono
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I'm trying to think why I would want to tie mono directly to power pro without a swivel in between. I'm sure it's a terminal tackle difference in preference (like extremely long leaders?), but what is it?

Mike, those clinch and improved clinch knots are less than 100% strength. The palomar and trilene knots are full strength.

#325746 - 12/28/05 11:24 AM Re: Power pro to Mono
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Fun5Acres:

I start by tieing "mono", on my spools.......I think its crazy to have a full spool of braided line, so for example if I buy 300 yds of braided line.....I'll measure a area that is 75 yards long, then:
1. fill the spool completely with mono line, I use Ande 10#.

2. Then put the reel on free spool, if level wind or open bail if spinning, walk out the 75 yds., set line on ground....go back to reel, cut line at that point.

3. Now I save that 75 yds. of mono for leader material.

4. Now I take the spool of braided line, tie the improved cinch knot, mono to the braid.

5. Walk out the same 75 yds., cut the braided line. Then wind back on the spool.

6. For those that think the diameter of the braid line is "that much smaller" and won't fill the spool........believe me, you'll have a tough time telling it!!!!!

7. For those that will say "75 yds., WOW, that's not much, and worry about getting "spooled", I say to that.......50+ years of fishing.....I've never been spooled. Maybe I've just been lucky.

8. I'll fish that braided line, until the color leaves the begining 20-30 yds., then reverse the line.

9. At some time, I'll decided to change the braided line........just go down to the braid/mono knot......cut off the braid, put new on.

10. Works for me, and many othes......and I can sure afford to "go all new" but just doesn't make sense.

Sorry for the long post........but its still raining.......grrrrrrr and rivers are "on the rise" again!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#325747 - 12/28/05 11:40 AM Re: Power pro to Mono
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
While I use the uni to uni knot for joining a lot of lines, I have had it fail. Be very cautious using it to join fluorocarbon to GSP lines...I broke off three silvers in a row the year before last.

Talking to some people in the business, I found that the fluorocarbon-superline junction can be a tough one to make work...something about the lack of stretch from both lines or the density of the fluorocarbon. I've had no problems with the mono to super line connection using the same knot.

The knot itself is strong-- the skipper on a charter I fished this year out of Sitka uses it to join his very expensive color-coded GSP braid to plain braid. We caught lots of kings and halibut to 70 pounds or so without a knot failure.

Dennis-- I like to use hi-viz super lines and tie six feet or so of mono to keep from spooking fish. Whether it really matters or not is something else again, but that's why I do it.

Keith

#325748 - 12/28/05 11:58 AM Re: Power pro to Mono
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Fun,

Here's some reasons where and why a swivel may not work as well as the double uni:

1. When you want to lay your braid on a bed of mono to keep the braid from slipping or piling up on the reel.

2. If you want a LONGER mono or shock tippet that will cast and reel easily through your guides in order to:
a. reduce abrasion at terminal end when drift fishing
b. reduce line visibility at terminal end
c. increase shock absorbancy or introduce some line stretch

3. The connection to a swivel has two separate knots, while the double uni is a redundant knot which decreases, not increases, the probability of failure if a single knot fails.

4. A knot that seats to itself or at least the same material provides inherently a more grip. This is why the Palomar and “improved” clinch knots are recommended knots to swivel or hook, because they increase the surface area of the line material against the swivel. A bowline knot is a prime example of this strength in action.

5. Each swivel has the potential to introduce a “bolo” effect and increases hinging when casting. The farther up the line the greater the effect, thus reducing overall castability.

6. If you are constantly retying at the terminal end while on the water it is better to use mono for QUICK secure knots when tying off to swivels as braid requires a lot more attention to insure knot strength.

My own experience has confirmed to me what every fly fisherman already knows, which is that these line to line connections are every bit as secure as the line to swivel connections that drift fisherman are used to when they are tied right. In fact whenever I have to break off, the mono usually breaks at the swivel instead of the double uni-knot. Give it a shot I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Drifter, yep, still raining...............
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325749 - 12/28/05 12:04 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
chrome/22 Offline

Yeah, what Mooch said. Here I was trying to think up all the reasons to go swivel-less and Mooch whips up a masterpiece, if you fish as good as you can write all the steelies better watch out!...C/22

#325750 - 12/28/05 12:13 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
For those that will say "75 yds., WOW, that's not much, and worry about getting "spooled", I say to that.......50+ years of fishing.....I've never been spooled. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Thats not lucky. Every angler should hook at least one fish in their lifetime that spools on its first run. I've gotten spooled with 400 yards of 40 pound trilene big game on a accurate conversion, penn 500 jigmaster. Quarter of a mile in one smoking hot run.
That kind of fish will bring you religeon.

#325751 - 12/28/05 12:40 PM Re: Power pro to Mono
chrome/22 Offline

V-hawk, just think if you had uni knoted that 40 lb. mono leader to some power pro. You would'ave had 800 yards on that penn & you could have landed that sucker......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |