Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325828 - 12/28/05 03:49 PM Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
I’ve been told today to make this public

I was informed last week that WDFW Marblemount Hatchery will have the Hatchery Steelhead cut back 64% and the lost of 2 workers at the hatchery

From 466k to 229k this year; there are things in the works right now for this years planting

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#325829 - 12/28/05 03:53 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
DL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodiville
Is this just a budget issue, or something else?

#325830 - 12/28/05 04:00 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

I was told budget issue

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#325831 - 12/28/05 04:15 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I think it's kind of a budget issue, but the money isn't exactly going away...it is being re-directed, per agreement of the parties with the purse strings, to habitat improvement in the Skagit basin.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#325832 - 12/28/05 04:17 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer2handed:
I was informed last week that WDFW Marblemount Hatchery will have the Hatchery Steelhead cut back 64% and the lost of 2 workers at the hatchery. From 466k to 229k this year; there are things in the works right now for this years planting
Brian: I've heard "rumblings" about this for some time. It Sucks.

Anyone wonder why it is hatchery steelhead that are being cut back (further)???

They don't bring commecial or tribal revenue, that's why! The tribes don't care about brats as they don't make any $$ on them, so they are the first to get whacked. I bet that the State asked the tribes who they should cut back on...and then the State did what the tribes told them to.

Might as well kill the hatchery steelhead program entirely...average return is about 1%..not worth the effort unless they want to FIX the program first.

Of course, the tribes will STILL BE GILL NETTING the WILD Steelhead.

&^%$#**%$@*&(*&*^%$%$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

#325833 - 12/28/05 05:21 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Brian

I just sent an e-mail off to WDFW for verification along with a couple of questions to be answered. You'll see a copy off my routing list.

#325834 - 12/28/05 05:27 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by bushbear:
Brian

I just sent an e-mail off to WDFW for verification along with a couple of questions to be answered. You'll see a copy off my routing list.
OK; I have to take off for meetings I'll be back about 10:00pm

GOT it thanks

#325835 - 12/28/05 05:52 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
The following message was sent to some folks at WDFW. I've rec'd a preliminary response and it is posted below.
Good afternoon, all

I've just seen a posting that the Marblemount Hatchery is taking a 64% cut in steelhead smolt production and losing two FTE positions. That is a pretty hefty hit for a recreational fishery that brings a lot of dollars into the local economy and provides a lot of recreational opportunity to the I-5 corridor fishers.

Can you verify the information and let us (SCPAG) know what is behind the cuts? What are the long range plans? What changes might be faced for other fish production at the facility? Will/can the lost production be picked up at another facility?
The response I rec'd:

It's true that there is a potential for Skagit hatchery steelhead to be cut. I don't know all the details so I asked Pat Frazier and Kirt Hughes (Region 4 fish program managers) to give you the latest status via e-mail.
I'll pass along what I get.

#325836 - 12/28/05 06:04 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody know if Steve Stout is still working at the hatchery up there?

Been meaning to go visit for awhile but haven't had the chance \:\(

#325837 - 12/28/05 07:23 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Yes, Steve is still "The Man" at the Marblemount hatchery.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#325838 - 12/28/05 09:30 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Curt45lc Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everson, WA
Thats too bad. Unless Kendall Creek hatchery on the Nooksack starts getting more fish its going to suffer a budget cut too. Kendall hatchery had 12 steelies in the trap on dec 22 and only 3 on satuday (they figured they were backing out, so they made the opening smaller so they can't get back out as easy). It doesn't look good. Also alot of fish were getting over the barrier with the high water and passing the hatchery, there goes some more steelhead.

#325839 - 12/28/05 10:26 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
If hatcheries can't perform then shut them down!!!

I am pretty much opposed to hatceries to begin with but i have never wanted them all closed but as a Washington state tax payer I want the most for my money. If we are going to harm wild steelhead runs by planting hatchery fish then thoes programs had better be providing excellent fishing opportunities, in recent years a lot of them haven't been. So I say make them perform or shut them down...

With the amount of money we spend on hatcheries it should be impossible to go to a river this time of year and not see fish on the bank.. I have yet to see one caught down this way in three trips..

#325840 - 12/28/05 10:33 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Curt45lc Offline
Returning Adult

robert,

you are way off, hatchery fish have very little impact on natives in the rivers that are talked about in this thread. They come in little contact with one another as the bulk of the hatcheries come in dec and early january and the bulk of natives come in march, or even later on some rivers.

#325841 - 12/28/05 10:40 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
bank walker Offline
Spawner

With all the smolts F&W plants in the skagit, and for the measily returns they get, i say shut it down. That system is obviously not working. Maybe the early component of the native stock would come back faster if the hatchery fish were discontinued?????

Somebody has to have overall smolts planted vs actual adult return rates... I bet its not good..1% if lucky
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#325842 - 12/28/05 10:55 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Curt45lc Offline
Returning Adult

Part of the problem with north end hatchery returns are the fact that they use those mixed stock, chambers creek fish. I believe if they killed off all those genetically week brats we have these days and started using a new line of fish. Use native brood stock from the system and you will get fish that survive much better, grow much bigger, and are way more aggressive.

#325843 - 12/28/05 11:23 PM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Anonymous
Unregistered

Curtis: I believe the Skagit plants are of Skamania origin.

Bank Walker: The same thing that is happening to the Skagit fish is also happening to the Nooksack, Sky and other N. Puget Sound rivers.

These hatchery fish are getting hammered when out in the salt..and just a few miles west of Everett. If we could stop those commercial gill nets (tribal, I believe), then we would have smashing returns once again.

Until they get those gill nets out of the water it ain't gonna change.

Mike

#325844 - 12/29/05 12:47 AM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
All the talk of hatchery fish harming the native runs pales by comparison to what tribal gill nets do to the wild runs...especially steelhead. The cutbacks on the Skagit are a result of yet another "deal" with the tribes...translate that to say the tribes told WDFW one more time how things are gonna be...done deal. again.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#325845 - 12/29/05 04:06 AM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
There has never been a Skamania winter run stock, we have chambers creek fish here. Also there isn't anywhere down here or in Puget sound for that matter that heas a healthy enough run to develop wild broodstock programs..

Also the idea of run timing and the temporal seperation of hatchery and wild stocks is 100% false.. I have caught freshly spawned out chambers creek stock fish in MAY!!! They rutinely spawn along side wild fish late in the season. It's also false to assume that wild winter steelhead only spawn in March and April, it is common for them to spawn as early as January!

but all of that has nothing to do with my comments.. If a hatchery isn't holding it's own it is a waste of my taxes and should be closed...

#325846 - 12/29/05 09:04 AM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Mike (ISO Chrome),

This was discussed 2 weeks ago at the Steelhead Club meeting. I wasn't there but your neighbor Phil across the street was at the meeting and knows all the details.

The Swinomish Tribe (Brian Cladoosby) and Seattle City Light together with the WDFW negotiated the deal which included planting trees for riperian restoration rather than planting steelhead.

Perhaps you can check with Phil and fill us in on what is going on.

Thanks!

#325847 - 12/29/05 09:27 AM Re: Marblemount Hatchery cut back
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
PLUNKER SIGHTING!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |