Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#328204 - 01/18/07 11:52 AM Safe River to Learn to Row DB
Fish Whisperer Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Belfair, WA
If there is such a thing. I've drift boat fished a lot in the past, only on the oars once. Now I'm thinking of buying a drift boat.
I 've read some books on rowing and have an idea of the correct way to do it. Any suggestions on a SW/W WA. river?? Or should I hook up with someone and be a willing slave for someone that will teach me?

#328206 - 01/18/07 12:02 PM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: Fish Whisperer]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Books mean nothing.. Go with a long time river vet. That way he can tell you all day " pull both.. both again... now with your left.. NO.. your other left "..

#328265 - 01/18/07 04:44 PM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: Fish Whisperer]
Fish Fossil Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Toledo Wa.
Try a lake first then Pm me and I'll take you down the Cowlitz in my DB.

Edited by Cowlitz Kidd (01/18/07 06:59 PM)

#328272 - 01/18/07 05:08 PM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: Fish Fossil]
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Find someone with a boat, or hire a guide. Let them put you on the sticks while they sit up front. They move their hands just like they're rowing, you follow exactly what their hands are doing with the oars. Works like a charm. Quickest way to learn. There is no "safe" river to learn on. Any piece of moving water can kill you in an instant.

#328274 - 01/18/07 05:21 PM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: Kyle_A]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
First ya PM Sol and beg fer a ride. He'll hook a fish and the lessons will be underway. While he's running around in the boat he'll be barkin orders at ya. He's loud enough that the folks at the diner in Forks are laughin and wonderin who's ridin with Sol today.

It'll hurt but he'll beat it into your head--your good ta go!

#328275 - 01/18/07 05:31 PM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Loc: Port Angeles
Don't let this be you! \:\)

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#328277 - 01/18/07 05:36 PM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: TBird]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
YA that gut didn't get his lesson from Sol!! The day after that happened he rode with Graham or was that the day before.

Really--your best bet is riding with someone THAT HAS THE TIME ON THE RIVER and learn from them.

Edited by Bucket (01/18/07 05:39 PM)

#328287 - 01/18/07 07:29 PM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: Fish Whisperer]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Fish Whisperer
If there is such a thing. I've drift boat fished a lot in the past, only on the oars once. Now I'm thinking of buying a drift boat.
I 've read some books on rowing and have an idea of the correct way to do it. Any suggestions on a SW/W WA. river?? Or should I hook up with someone and be a willing slave for someone that will teach me?

Before you buy a DB, make a few trips with someone who has one and knows what they are doing on the sticks. Ask them to let you row in a mellow area (frog water stuff) and get used to how the boat handles. Learn to turn the boat quickly, do a 360 (it WILL come in handy to spin off rocks) and balance your oars to get a smooth stroke.

Once you buy your own, take it to a lake and spend a 1/2 hr. and do the same...get used to your boat, then head for an easy drift to start out on.

If you can't find someone to go with you when you get your boat, drop me a note and feel free to come up to the Skagit. I'll be happy to give you the basics I know, and for more waters requiring more experience, you always want to hit them first with someone who knows them. Going blindly down ANY river is never advised, I don't care how easy it looks.

Learn to know your limitations, and do not exceed them.

BUY a good PFD and wear the SOB every time you get in the boat. Even the most experienced can get into trouble on rivers they have rowed for 40 years or more. (See the story of Jim Erickson on Ifish)

Mis Dos Centavos...

Mike

Edited by ISO Chrome (01/18/07 07:32 PM)

#328320 - 01/19/07 12:09 AM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: ]
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
Do the Snoqualmie from Plumb to Fall City. Fairly easy water to learn how.

#328344 - 01/19/07 08:33 AM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: charr]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Good advice from all. Get used to your boat first. When I was a kid I saw the bow of a drift boat sticking out of the gravel in a new channel about 15 feet above the river on the Queets.

#328376 - 01/19/07 03:51 PM Re: Safe River to Learn to Row DB [Re: Fish Whisperer]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
There is a passage close to you. Try launching at the Fox Island bridge(rough ramp) and row along the shoreline. You can fish for the little coho and practice rowing at the same time.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |