LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#330878 - 02/03/07 12:18 AM new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!??
Anonymous
Unregistered

i just filled out all the paper work and wating to pick up my new toy.

RUGER REDHAWK 44.MAG WITH BUSHNELL 2-4X32MM SCOPE

now then i have not payed for this yet. and i am just waiting for the background check to be made.

so my question is. did i make the right choice.

my choice was between the;

s&w 41mag
s&w 460, which also shoots 45colt and 454.
or
the ruger redhawk 44mag.

now this gun is only gonna be used for deer, and packing around while hiking scouting trips.

shots will at max be 75-100yards.

the 41 and 44 have close to the same balistics, the only difference being bullet weight.

but the 460 has balistics very close to a 30-30. and is accurate up to 200 yards. according to reviews and charts. also it is very flat shooting with those balistics. BUTits kicks like a mule. BUT it also shoots 45 colt and 454 so thats a plus.

anyway so any of you handgun hunters out there. so what i am gonna use the gun for. do you think i made the right choice with the redhawk 44mag???

on a side note the redhawk is alot lighter the then s&w 460

thanks for your input

#331094 - 02/04/07 12:25 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: ]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Can't go wrong with the .44. It will definitely bring down a deer at 50+ yards. WHat barrell length did you get? That makes a big diffence on accuracy and managability!

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#331119 - 02/04/07 03:17 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: FishRanger]
Anonymous
Unregistered

7 1/2. so far i think i will like it. i havent shot anyting bigger then a 9mm so i think ima gonna be in for a suprize that first time i pull the trigger. which was half the reason i didnt get the S&W 460

not to mention the ruger will be alot nicer to carry around. sence its like half the wieght.

#331407 - 02/05/07 08:42 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: ]
Dalmar Offline
Smolt

Loc: Western Wa.
You'll like it for sure! If I remember right I used to load 7gr. of Unique under 240gr. lead in .44 special cases. Quite pleasant to shoot compared to the hot .44 mag loads. Scoped revolvers were too bulky and ugly for my tastes back then. I liked the Ruger adjustable sights with various colored front sight inserts. Bill

#331423 - 02/05/07 10:09 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: Dalmar]
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i just picked the gun up tonight. had the scope mounted and man is it purdy. im in love now. its great because it basicly matches my ruger 7mm with the bushnell 3x9-40 scope.

all i need now is holster for it. im tryin to find a leather holster that will work with the scope but im having a hard time. i found these chest ones but i want it on my hip.

anyway im gonna hit the range or the woods tomarrow to go shoot this bad boy. taking the 7mm sence its brand new and hasnt been shot either. YAY!!! for plinking days

#333232 - 02/13/07 02:36 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: ]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
If you want a hip holster I suggest a crossdraw, so it doesn't bang against your rifle while it's slung.

#333289 - 02/13/07 08:04 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: Irie]
Anonymous
Unregistered

im not gonna be carrying it with my rifle. its gonna be an either or type deal.

but thanks for the advice. i will look into those

#334075 - 02/17/07 11:39 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: ]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
So Deerslayer, how did it shoot? I'm betting it kicked less than you expected since it is such a large frame. You can make it easy on yourself while you are getting used to it and use the 44 specials for plinking, less kick and less expense. I inherited my dads 44 Blackhawk which I have always loved and bought a little Marlin lever action in 44 as well to go with it. Lots of fun to shoot and great in the brush.
Where do you go shoot? There are a couple of good places out east of Duvall.

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#334340 - 02/19/07 09:49 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: FishRanger]
Anonymous
Unregistered

the gun shoots awesome. kick wasnt that bad compared to what i was told. actually it was very pleasent to shoot EVEN with the 320gr loads i shot which were very hot loads.

ive been up at sam's in everett. but after had a ego trippin employee yell at my buddy for not having an ID. he is only 15. and then having one of the local cops who shoots there take the range guys side. with the cop right there the guy threatened me and put his hand on his sidearm. JERKS!!! but thats a different story.

ANYWAY ive been shooting it at 25yrds just to get use to the gun. put about 150 rounds through it. grouping about 4 inches high at 25yrds. all about 10" groups offhand. and 4-6" groups with a rest. also i noticed im jerking the trigger a whole lot. gotta get that under control and i should be getting tighter groups.

now i need to take it to a 50yrd range or farther. sence the scope is bore sighted at 50yards. and see how it groups.

#334744 - 02/21/07 05:01 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: ]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I've got the exact same gun. Love it. I have a really ice Bianchi leather belt and holster that cost a pretty penny. I wish I would have gone the shoulder/chest mount though. I carry a backpack when I hunt and the belt strap on the bp and the holster do not work well together...something to think about.

#335798 - 02/27/07 03:40 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: seastrike]
Anonymous
Unregistered

seastrike you can go to sportsman's warehouse and get one of the uncle mikes holsters that are chest/shoulder holsters. they are only 30 dollars.

better then all the high priced gun shops around western washington. that charge anywhere from 60-110 dollars for the exact same holster. RIP OFFS

anyway thats the holster that i just baught two days ago. it fits the gun really good. and is actually comfy

#341838 - 03/24/07 02:36 AM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: ]
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
If you want a nice leather holster I'd suggest you go see Karl at Mountain Man Leather Works in Forks. Everything he does is custom. He took my 10 1/2" Blackhawk .44mag and formed a crossdraw holster around it that is a one of a kind piece of art. He operates out of a small trailer on the side of the road on the north end of Forks. I'll put some pics up when I get a chance.

#342110 - 03/25/07 05:10 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: Erik]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Erik
If you want a nice leather holster I'd suggest you go see Karl at Mountain Man Leather Works in Forks. Everything he does is custom. He took my 10 1/2" Blackhawk .44mag and formed a crossdraw holster around it that is a one of a kind piece of art. He operates out of a small trailer on the side of the road on the north end of Forks. I'll put some pics up when I get a chance.

sounds good, id like to see a couple pics of his work.

#342699 - 03/27/07 10:35 PM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: ]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Post a pic when you get it

#343043 - 03/29/07 12:55 AM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: Dave D]
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
WOW! I consider myself pretty computer literate and for the life of me I can't get the photos up here. Maybe someone can help me out by posting a link to the uploader instructions or something. I thought I saw recently that the process was simplified with the software update. Sorry guys...I'll get it though

Edited by Erik (03/29/07 12:56 AM)

#343067 - 03/29/07 02:48 AM Re: new toy!!! ruger redhawk YAY!?? [Re: Erik]
Anonymous
Unregistered

i tryd to post some pics of my gun just for views and couldnt do it either. im a moron though.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |