Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#335865 - 02/27/07 09:34 PM Camping/Boat Launch on Lake Chelan
Steve Marsh Offline
Fry

Loc: Redmond, WA
Planning a Kokanee trip to Chelan this year. Any recommendations on a campground with or close to a boat launch (15' Smokercraft)?

Comments on tackle, where to fish, when to fish, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Redmond

#335883 - 02/27/07 10:49 PM Re: Camping/Boat Launch on Lake Chelan [Re: Steve Marsh]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
It's been atleast 8 years since I last fished Chelan for Koke's. I only did it twice and went out with a buddy's dad who lives out there on the water. BUT, like I said, all I can remember was that we fished in the evening and trolled like Pop gear and some of the corn your supposed to use. Not sure if or what kind of lure we used or just a hook.

All I can say is that it was a blast and they were tasty little guys...I hope you get some. I'm sure there are plenty of campgrounds with launches or atleast launches around and you can pull your boat up on shore....

#335893 - 02/27/07 11:17 PM Re: Camping/Boat Launch on Lake Chelan [Re: Steve Marsh]
Benfishin Offline
Parr

Loc: Renton, Wa
The state park on the southwest side of the lake has both a campground and a single lane concrete boat launch with several docks. However they don't start filling the lake to its summer level till about June so I would check with the park rangers to see if the water is covering the end of the ramp before you go over. Couple of years ago I almost got stuck in the sand at the end when the water level was a little lower than normal.

Generally at that time of year the schools of Kokanee are located anywhere south of the narrow part of the lake. The narrow part of the lake is located just north of the Yacht club. When I fished Chelan last June, I did the best where the deep water comes next to the road, south of the state park. Was fishing for the Kokes at a depth of 30-40 ft in water 300 ft deep using pop gear & a wedding ring baited with worm and green glitter power bait. I've also heard white shoepeg corn treated with corn toughener from Pro-cure works well on the wedding ring instead of the worms and power bait though I haven't tried it yet.

While I've caught fish all the way into the afternoon, I would recommend fishing Chelan in the morning for kokanee. It seems like they don't bite near as hard in the afternoon as they do in the morning and you'll start missing more of the strikes as the day goes on. Also at that time of year, the wind starts kicking up around 1 o'clock and blows pretty hard until about 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Edited by Benfishin (02/27/07 11:25 PM)

#335901 - 02/27/07 11:59 PM Re: Camping/Boat Launch on Lake Chelan [Re: Benfishin]
PRODUCE2TROUTCAT Offline
Parr

Loc: rat city
Hi Steve , the big key is when are you planning to go.Late April on is when the kokes start hitting. As far as camping goes, the State park 10 miles uplake from the town of Chelan is nice when the water level gets up and if you tent camp they have several docks in front of the campsites that you can tie up to and see your boat from camp.There is also a campground with boat launch in town on the eastside of the lake and if the water level is low there is a great boat launch over by the high school, a few minutes from the campground.For looking at the water level go to chelan pud website click on lake levels and they will show current and previous/average for past years(water level of 1090 ft + is good for the launches).They want to have the water level up high enough by Memorial Day w/e. A friend and I used to go fish in the salmon derby over from 96-02 in May.We always stayed at the St park .Only one year where we could not launch because they were putting in a sewer system and were not done yet . Any ?'s give me a PM
Mike

#335964 - 02/28/07 09:30 AM Re: Camping/Boat Launch on Lake Chelan [Re: PRODUCE2TROUTCAT]
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
The state park campground is on the reservation system and fills up very fast. I'd check the state's web site (link is on WL.com front left contents area). The city campground I have no info on as they are not sponsors of this site. There is also an excellent multilane launch on the east side of the lake by Manson which puts you right on top of the prime area for koks.

#336263 - 03/01/07 03:42 AM Re: Camping/Boat Launch on Lake Chelan [Re: Mike C]
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
First of all, when are you going? The fish move in lake chelan depending on the time of year. The best fishing for Kokes is from mid-spring through early June. After that they start moving up lake.

Do you have to camp, or would a hotel be okay? The Best Western Hotel on the lake, before you get into town has excellent fishing for kokes at that time of year right in front of it. Indoor pool too. Their prices are pretty good too. Also, Peterson's resort is a great place to stay, you can keep your boat on the water there, and it 's cheap at that time of year. If you camp, I'd stay at the city park if you're there early in the year, state park if it is later in the summer, cuz then the fish will be up near and above there. There is a launch on the "river" in town, but then you have a ways to go to get to where you want to fish. If you're camping at the city park, you can launch on that side of the lake, by the burger stand and then park your boat in moorage there for a fee of course.

You will definately need a reservation anywhere, including camping on the weekends, and after mid June, even for mid week. Don't go on Memorial Day weekend, the place is full of high school and college kids.

You want to troll real slow with light pop gear with RED wedding rings and white corn on the hook. Add Krill scent if you want too. Right in front of the Best Westen is a great location and then along the wall by the highway. While you're there go get some laker too. The Kokes are usually about 30' down, but if you have a depth finder, check for the schools, if you don't have one, play with the depth untill you find them, which most likely would be a little deeper, not usually higher up. The lakers are easy to catch over by Rocky Point and off the line from Wapato Pt. Just check your finder if you have one to locate schools Without one just go to Rocky Pt. and drift around, constantly checking bottom with your jig to make sure you're near the bottom. You want to jig with 1/2 to 3 ounce leadheads with white curly grubs or crawdad immatations, the tip the hook with herring strips or sqauw fish strips. Easy fishing. Use no more than a mid sized steelhead rod to jig with so you get the most fight you can out of them and still get a decent jig going with your rod.

Edited by Addicted (03/01/07 03:43 AM)

#337461 - 03/06/07 12:37 AM Re: Camping/Boat Launch on Lake Chelan [Re: Addicted]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
The city has a boat launch by Lakeside (hamburger stand) you could camp at the campground less then a block away. Then follow what everyone else says (all great advice). Use a rubber snubber and Jolly Green Giant white corn. Also, I have had great luck fishing the Manson side in town (Chelan) from Petersons Resort to 1/2 mile past the red roofed house about 300 yards off shore.

RVW

Edited by RowVsWade (03/06/07 12:38 AM)

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1407 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |