Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#344229 - 04/02/07 11:56 PM Fly fishing with float tubes
robosimono Offline
Alevin

Loc: cheney, wa
Hi, i am going to be buying a float tube within the next couple days and i was looking at the creek company u-boat 2000. I was wondering if that type of float tube can be used easily to fly fish. I have not started fly fishing yet, but i will soon. If there are any recommended float tubes/pontoons for fly fishing id like to know. you can see the creek company float tube float tube by clicking here and i am trying to keep it under $200. thx.

#344233 - 04/03/07 12:12 AM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: robosimono]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Go to GI Joes...They have some good quality ones for cheap...

#344272 - 04/03/07 01:54 AM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
robosimono Offline
Alevin

thank you. im actually around spokane and there don't happen to be any joes around here, but there are plenty of other places i have been looking.

#344274 - 04/03/07 01:59 AM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: robosimono]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Yea well Joes has an online site you can probably order off of, but personally i like to see what I buy and so I prefer going to the stores...

There should be plenty of good tackle shops in Spokane

#344292 - 04/03/07 09:40 AM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Raffpap Offline
Parr

I'm from the Spokane area also. All of the major sporting good stores have tubes and pontoons. My simple recommendation? If you can afford a small pontoon boat vs. a float tube and you have a means of easily transporting it, then get a pontoon, even if it's only a 7 or 8 footer. It's a world of difference! A pontoon will buck wind better. It will get you from point A to B quicker with the oars. And you will definitely be warmer, especially during early season. They are a bit more expensive but will pay for themselves by lasting several years. I have two, a Buck's Bags and Outcast. I also have two tubes, but only take them on pack trips into the mountains. I heard White's is having a clearance sale, 20% off, on all fishing gear, maybe you could start there! Good luck!

#344303 - 04/03/07 11:24 AM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: Raffpap]
Jay S Offline
Parr

look on craigslist there is a pontoon in the spokane area i think he was asking 150 for it. I have a u boat and the only dislike is there is no front bar like most float tubes have. Not sure if that makes sense to ya but sure u know what im talkin about if you have been lookin.

#344321 - 04/03/07 12:30 PM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: Jay S]
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I see Costco in Kirkland is selling a 7 ft pontoon for $300. No brand name but frankly looks very good. I'm tempted to add to my collection...

Costco in spokane may have it as well. I agree with Raffpap, well worth it if you can stretch your budget. The only advantage of a U-tube (I have one) is they are easy and quick into the water and less storage hassle. A U-tube is a better shape if you have to go that route, vrs. a round tube. It's easier to kick.

A pontoon is the way to go if you can.

#344499 - 04/04/07 05:08 AM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: Mike C]
robosimono Offline
Alevin

well its offical, i have bought a floatation device. and what is it you ask? i ended up buying the creek company u-boat 2000. White elephant(spokane) had one for 85.00. came with fins/pump. I took it out to amber lake today (cheney area) and had some fun. I think i will say raffpaff is right about the whole being warmer thing in a pontoon. I FROZE my a** off today in waders, but after my limbs went numb i couldnt feel the cold anymore so it didnt matter. I dont like fins. definately a learning curve with fins and this boat. it seems to go where the wind wants you to. i also ended up buying my first fly rod/reel so i tested everything out today at the same time. i was so busy getting all flustered maneuvering the boat and trying to learn how to cast with the fly rod i didnt catch anything. thx for the info guys. this u-boat will get me by until i can afford a pontoon.

#344505 - 04/04/07 09:35 AM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: robosimono]
Raffpap Offline
Parr

Good for you! You'll get used to it, and things will only get warmer from here on out. I know some guys who have both pontoons and tubes. A couple absolutely love their tubes.....you'll rarely see them in their pontoons. I was at Amber also on Tuesday and things were quite slow due to the recent cold front. Stay at it and good luck....you'll understand when you begin having 20 and 30 fish days! Also, in an attempt to lessen your learning curve, I'd highly recommend that you get two rods/reels, one with a float line and one with a sink line (or float line w/sink tip). These lakes are deep around here and once the water warms up you're gonna need to go deep to get at the fish. My mentor never told me about the benefits of a sink line and it took me a couple years to figure it out!

#344706 - 04/04/07 10:15 PM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: Raffpap]
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Congrats, and yes, you will soon add a pontoon boat to your collection. It's inevitable. There are times and lakes when you'll prefer to use one or the other anyway.

#345852 - 04/10/07 03:04 PM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: Mike C]
robosimono Offline
Alevin

Yes i have been substituting an additional rod/reel with an extra long tippet tied on to my leader so i reached a depth of about 18ft the other day when the fishing was slowww. I really enjoy going out in the uboat, its very "snug". I'm not sure if its just me, but sometimes in waders does it feel a little damp in some places after a few hours of fishing?

#345872 - 04/10/07 03:58 PM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: robosimono]
Jay S Offline
Parr

Yea you do get a little damp they hold water in just like they keep it out. Probly just sweat no biggie. Good to see you found something that fit in the budget and is still enjoyable.

#345995 - 04/10/07 11:18 PM Re: Fly fishing with float tubes [Re: robosimono]
Lotech Joe Offline
Fry

Loc: Liberty Lake, WA.
robosimono,
I've been fly fishing for quite a few years now and have quit using float tubes because of weak legs. However, if I were to re-invest in a float tube for the $$$ you mention, this would be my choice. I'd go with the Outcast Super Fat Cat, but for under $200 this is the one I'd choose;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...0010&hasJS=true
Sorry for the length of the link. But, it's a good tube.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |