LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#348287 - 04/23/07 06:39 PM Bass on the beds - seen any yet this spring?
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I hit a couple of small lakes this weekend with the fly rod. I was hoping the smaller bodies of water would warm up quicker, but no luck. Fished popper, sliders, divers and crawdad patterns.
Talked with a few guys tossing Senko who had hit a few small fish (1-2 lbs) in deeper water.
Has anyone seen any fish up on their beds yet? Looks like we'll need a shot of better weather to get them in the mood.
Brian

#348297 - 04/23/07 07:02 PM Re: Bass on the beds - seen any yet this spring? [Re: stonefish]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
No, wait for a little while...

This good weather we got forecasted for the next week should pull the bass up into the shallows and into their prespawn patterns...From there, its just a matter of time till a few more degrees of water temp will get them spawning.

#348317 - 04/23/07 07:22 PM Re: Bass on the beds - seen any yet this spring? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Here in my part of the of the state water temps have been up into the mid-50s.

The adult fish are definely in the pre-spawn mode. Fished last week and had a very good day on smallies. I would expect that the smallmouth will be moving on to the beds in the next week or so depending on the weather.

The largemouth while up in the shallows are still several weeks away from "bedding".

All of which means I have a week or so of smallmouth and a couple weeks of largemouth fishing until I knock off bass fishing for a while. Will be back on the water for bass after the spawn.

Tight lines
Curt

#348352 - 04/23/07 09:44 PM Re: Bass on the beds - seen any yet this spring? [Re: Smalma]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
07 & Smalma,
Thanks for the info. I've become addicted to catching bass on poppers. I had some great days last summer fishing very early & late in the day.
Based on your info on the smallies Curt, I know where I'll be on Saturday.
Thanks again,
Brian

#348361 - 04/23/07 10:05 PM Re: Bass on the beds - seen any yet this spring? [Re: stonefish]
Daniel T Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup
Smalma got it right. They are in the shallows but about 10 degrees from settling down. The bite is picking up more and more everyday!

#348377 - 04/23/07 10:48 PM Re: Bass on the beds - seen any yet this spring? [Re: Daniel T]
River Nutrients

Yea likewise what Daniel said. Temps are probably right around the low 50's and need to be up about 10 degrees. On a warm sunsoaked day, go out and find a spot of the lake which was hit by the sun all day and perhaps some bass will have moved up for the day to do some cruising.

These next few days are supposed to be a lot warmer, so check the water temps and I'd probably say that in about 2 weeks (ballpark figure, don't hold me to it) the temps will have the bass in the shallows in prespawn patterns

#348445 - 04/24/07 04:16 AM Re: Bass on the beds - seen any yet this spring? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Beerbohm Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane, Wa
Are bass not active during spawn?

#348550 - 04/24/07 05:55 PM Re: Bass on the beds - seen any yet this spring? [Re: Beerbohm]
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Beerbohm
Are bass not active during spawn?

Well there are really three stages of the spawning period:
Prespawn
Spawn
Postspawn

Bass are really active in the prespawn because they are fighing for prime bed space, mates, etc, and just starting to be a lot more active after all the cold water. The spawn is basically bass just sitting on beds. Thats why during this time period you just basically go sight fishing for them with polarized glasses. And the postspawn, well I'm not totally sure about that, but I believe that the bass go back out of the shallows and become a lot less active...

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |