Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#351303 - 05/08/07 10:53 AM My First Turkey
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
Went to Idaho this weekend to try to get my first turkey. And it didnt take long \:\)
Saturday morning my dad, myself and my dad's friend Sam pulled up to one of his spots and at ten minutes to 5 heard our first gobble. He was quite a ways off in the distance but we quickly set off down a logging road to the edge of some heavier timber where they like to roost. Pausing every now and then to call along the way.
The little hill we were on had good roosting timber on the top edges, good feeding area on a little flat at the top and clear cuts around the sides.
We get to the edge of the clear cut and call again and quickly get a gobble right back. The sun is just coming up and the lake below us is alive with activity. Geese and mallards making a racket as well as the turkeys we are after. Quickly we skirted up through the edge of the timber to the top of the ridge and called again. The gobble made it sound like the birds were right on the next ridge over. So we got into the heavy timber, snuck around the top of the next draw and sat down to hopefully call him in.
Well either the birds had moved or we had heard in correctly but the next gobble we heard was again on the other side of the next draw. So we take off again chasing these birds.
We get to the top of the next draw and call, and a gobble comes back that is right over a little rocky outcropping ahead of us. The birds are maybe 70 yards away at this point. So i sneak up to the rocks and crawl up on to the knob peaking into the clear cut. I can see some movement down to my left so i sit down into a little depression and get ready. My dad sneaks up to my left and sits down as well. Sam backs up and calls again. Through the brush i can see 4 birds doming right at us, pausing to gobble and go into a half strut before they keep coming. I signal to Sam that they are coming and he slowly works his way backwards calling and drawing the birds in. For a moment it looks like they are going to head down to my right at about 30 yards, but instead they keep coming right at me. 4 birds all in a row. Well, i let them get to about 20 feet before the lead bird split off to the right and gave me a clean shot. And down he went in a hurry. On the shot, the 3 remaining gobble again, so my dad stands up from his position and whacks one more.
2 nice jakes on the ground by 6:00. A great way to start a morning \:\)

#351364 - 05/08/07 05:19 PM Re: My First Turkey [Re: D3Smartie]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Nice turkey... Turkey!
Cool photo \:\)

#351552 - 05/09/07 06:27 PM Re: My First Turkey [Re: Neal M]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Awsome. Nice job! What part of Idaho were you in? Dont worry I'm not after your spot. I cant afford an in state tag right now, let alone a non-res tag.

j7 2012

#351580 - 05/09/07 07:47 PM Re: My First Turkey [Re: j 7]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
We were out of CDA.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1094 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |