THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#377412 - 09/26/07 11:11 PM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? *** [Re: jandlfishingguide]
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Loc: gales creek, or
Normally, but not always.......... A Chinook gill plate will bronze like the one in the picture. More often than not a coho will turn red or pink when a male matures. The fish is 100% male, but remains to be seen if it's a pink, coho, or king. The spots on it's back are too big for a coho jack.

My 2 pennys worth anyway.
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#377413 - 09/26/07 11:15 PM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: kevin lund]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

It appears to have teeth on it's tongue, which (I believe) rules it out for being a pink.

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#377417 - 09/26/07 11:25 PM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: hohbomb73]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Hohbomb -
I too debated whether the tongue had teeth or not and decided I could not say for sure from the picture. Which is why I said coho but there was that little doubt.

Sure would like a clearer picture

Doc?

Tight lines
Curt

#377419 - 09/26/07 11:33 PM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: hohbomb73]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Well if you must know, I voted coho on the poll when I first set it up. But unlike you, I had the benefit of having the little devil in hand. But like so many of you, I was rather perplexed by those big-a$$ king spots. I still think there's a good chance it's a hybrid.

I purposely posted the composition that would bounce the flash away from the camera to bring out the bronze undertones of the skin. The brown background reflecting off the scales also adds to the gold/bronze "tule-esque" skin hue. (Damn I sound like one of those hi-falutin' Spey dudes describing a single-malt Scotch!)

Like I said, more pic later tonight... gonna have dinner with my daughter first.

More pics to come

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#377421 - 09/26/07 11:45 PM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: Smalma]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

Loc: Silverdale WA
i did pic coho...and i did catch a fish in the salt very similair to this fish, i let it go without a pic..but it kept me guessing for a while..i would not have kept it anyway because it was small...but i did go to cali about 4 or 5 years ago to fish the king run going to the Sacramento river and Delta...(in Benicia) i belive that that is where i caught my first white King...(had to visit mom and grandpa) i remember wanting to let it go and everyone saying NO thats a King...i was saying, No looks like a Coho..(most places in Cali i guess you cant keep Coho) they later told me that they were White kings...that was the first time i knew of them...i never really looked at the one pic i had of that fish, and have no idea where it is...im sure my mom has it...hahahaha....but i did choose Coho...and still think its a coho...the i think if it was a jack chinook the teeth would be larger and sharper...

#377422 - 09/26/07 11:48 PM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: lovetofish365]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

oh yeah and i forgot...if you look at the pic..it looks like the fish was bonked...and in the cooler or something...it has a line to it...you know how a fish looks like it has been up against another fish in some areas, the colors change...it looks like the top part of the fish color has changed to to being in the cooler, or something touching it, or half out of the water for a while...me 2 cent...c

#377424 - 09/26/07 11:54 PM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: lovetofish365]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Chinook was my first impression and voted same PRIOR to all this confusion. \:\)

#377430 - 09/27/07 12:22 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: ParaLeaks]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

oh wait a min...he said he released it...c

#377431 - 09/27/07 12:24 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: lovetofish365]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: lovetofish365
oh yeah and i forgot...if you look at the pic..it looks like the fish was bonked...and in the cooler or something...it has a line to it...you know how a fish looks like it has been up against another fish in some areas, the colors change...it looks like the top part of the fish color has changed to to being in the cooler, or something touching it, or half out of the water for a while...me 2 cent...c

Bonked?

That fish is very much alive... the color change is the portion of the fish above the water line. HINT: It's still in the water, dude.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#377435 - 09/27/07 12:31 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: eyeFISH]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

yeah...figured that out..but still looks like that water line you get in a cooler...plus ive been home for a couple hours, drinkin and playing on the internet..hahaha...c

Edited by lovetofish365 (09/27/07 12:33 AM)

#377441 - 09/27/07 01:33 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: Kid Sauk]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
 Originally Posted By: Kid Sauk
Stam, if you're so confident, then I bet you a day as rowing b!tch if it's not a coho. Your boat if I'm right and you row all day. If I'm wrong, then it's my boat and I row you all day........so? You man enough to take the challenge? ;\) \:D

I said 110% Coho.... Wonder if Stam would take that bet with me too, I'd like to be rowed down a river someday..... Always seems when I'm with the buddies I get stuck on the sticks....

Keith

#377444 - 09/27/07 01:54 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: stlhdr1]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Keith,

I'll getcha out in April if yer willin'...just don't bring your buddy from down yer ways who thinks "nads" means running a sled up an open waterway with nine inches of water...I hate it when people wig out in the drifter going through rocks and trees!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#377453 - 09/27/07 03:05 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: ]
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
I haven't looked inside a salmons mouth to identify the species forever. The big oval spots scream Chinook....I've never seen spots like that on a Coho before...

Doc, I'm sure this is not the first one of these (hybrid looking Chinnho) you have caught. Have you ever taken scale samples and sent them to WDFW? It could be interesting.

Ike

#377454 - 09/27/07 03:05 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: Todd]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Todd
Keith,

I'll getcha out in April if yer willin'...just don't bring your buddy from down yer ways who thinks "nads" means running a sled up an open waterway with nine inches of water...I hate it when people wig out in the drifter going through rocks and trees!

Fish on...

Todd

You lost me there bud.... But if I have the time free and not out slaughtering the early Spring Chinook I'll certainly take you up on the offer.... I'd love to fish a few of them tribs you fish, there's some nice big steelhead there.... Can I bring some eggs?? ;\)

Keith

#377455 - 09/27/07 03:36 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

OK, from the hoochie rvrfshr spinner shot, this bright fish with white gums (both above and below) screams coho.

In the lip-grip shot, taken at an angle that mutes the chrome, the spots scream chinook.

I didn't think to take a close-up of the tail. What you see is what you get. Don't think there are too many spots in that caudal fin. The fin that gets my attention is the anal fin.... it has that pale spot at the distal end of the long leading ray. It also comes to a point at that spot. Very chararcteristic of coho. Chinook tend to have that broader based anal fin with a shorter leading edge an a somewhat flared trailing edge.

Attachments
1376-09-26-07CohoJackSatsopRvrfshr.jpg

1378-09-26-07CohoJackSatsop.jpg

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#377459 - 09/27/07 08:01 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: ]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Doc -
Thanks for the other picutres.

Clearly not a pink!

I'll stick with coho.

Tight lines
Curt

#377464 - 09/27/07 09:48 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: Smalma]
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Thank you Doc, this was a helluva thread! \:D

Let's all join in chorus and sing to Stam:

Row row row YOUR BOAT
Gently down the streeeeam........... ;\) \:\)

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#377469 - 09/27/07 10:10 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: Kid Sauk]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Gota go "chinook". Have caught 100's of both silvers and chinook jacks, during my 40 yrs. on Grays Harbor, but for sure the 1 indicator is smell.......ugh to king jacks in my boat.

Hope everyone has a great river salmon season????? Let's not be praying for "early rains", or it could be another 2006 year.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#377472 - 09/27/07 10:48 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: DrifterWA]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Yep still 110% coho jack...

"Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, Merrily life is but a dream...."

I know Stam would have took the bet so I win... Where you rowing me Stam? You want to row me and the Kid together?? We can stand up front and catch fish all day...

Keith

#377477 - 09/27/07 11:24 AM Re: Jack Salmon... coho or chinook? [Re: stlhdr1]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
I still say Coho and the new pics are even more convincing, Great thread BTW!-TBJ

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1408 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |