LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#387027 - 11/07/07 12:17 AM wondering about willapa hills elk hunting????
shadowless_nite Offline
Egg

so its my first year every hunting after my father in law and friends finally talked me into it. i am doing modern fire arm this season and from what ive seen in my local area its nuts. im in vancouver wa and just about every unit near here is swarming with people. i know the local area and well.... just dont like seeing this many people with this much pressure in the areas my chances as a beginner are very slim.

ive been doing research and the willapa hills area has grown some interest in me. though no one i know has went there to hunt. so i thought id ask around here and see if anyone has had any experience and can help guide a noob. im not looking for someones hot spot but rather some where i can atleast get started. im looking into this area specifically for elk. ive done my research and examined maps, satelite shots etc but it doesnt help to not know where to even begin in that area.

any guidance is appreciated
justin

#387774 - 11/10/07 02:37 AM Re: wondering about willapa hills elk hunting???? [Re: shadowless_nite]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Where I grew up, Boistfort Peak (pronounced Baw-faw meaning Strong Wood) was the be-all end-all Mecca of local Deer and Elk Hunting, (and also keggers accessible only by 4x4) but by the end of the 80's it'd pretty well been hunted out.

You might try the southern section, Down closer to Hwy 4, than up by Hwy 6 where the tweakers and moonshiners have been poaching for decades...Speaking of which, it's the heart of Banjo-land. If you stumble upon a shack or trailer emitting a strong smell of Ammonia run away fast and quietly as you can.

#389319 - 11/16/07 01:42 AM Re: wondering about willapa hills elk hunting???? [Re: Irie]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
Boistfort HUH... my old man is from Pe ell and im from winlock

#398784 - 12/22/07 02:35 PM Re: wondering about willapa hills elk hunting???? [Re: shadowless_nite]
curtiselkmagnet Offline
Alevin

I graduated from Boistfort elementary and have hunted there all my life. Lots of deer and elk in Pe Ell area, lots of hunters too!! Im going to bow this year to try to get away from so many hunters.

#399957 - 12/27/07 10:33 PM Re: wondering about willapa hills elk hunting???? [Re: curtiselkmagnet]
hunter 333 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: slayin brats.
drive up the elochomen valley near just past cathlamet and when u hit gravel take the 720 line and glass them clear cuts, dont get lost.

#412977 - 02/10/08 01:04 AM Re: wondering about willapa hills elk hunting???? [Re: shadowless_nite]
localbouy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Naselle Area
If you want an enjoyable hunt during the rifle season for Elk I'd encourage you to "walk" atleast 4-8 miles behind any gate legal to hunt behind from Longview to Aberdeen to Chehalis. Yeah you could try your luck hunting field Elk but good luck. Too much pressure, hassle, and risk. Elk hunting, as many will tell you, is just insane anymore. Willapa Hills has plenty of Elk to kill if your'e willing to go after them. Do your scouting, sell yourself on an area, and commit. I don't claim to be an expert at all, but I can't over emphasize the quality of hunt you'll have if you forego the mayhem.

#413184 - 02/10/08 08:24 PM Re: wondering about willapa hills elk hunting???? [Re: localbouy]
localbouy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Naselle Area
And speaking of Field Elk....

Attachments
Field Bull.gif

Description: Field Bull

Field Elk 2.jpg

Description: Field Bulls/Twins

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645294 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |