THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405787 - 01/17/08 12:23 PM Watch your 401K's!
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Markets are not doing very good lately...and there's no real indication that they are going to get better. One "event" like a terrorist attack or something similar could really start a negative slide.... or should I say a slide even worse than we are seeing now \:\(
You may want to take a close look at your elections and drop your $$$ in a stable value fund or something similar until this blows over so you dont lose your ass. Recession is only a formal announcement away.

R-

#405789 - 01/17/08 12:25 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Sky-Guy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks. I already lost most of my nest egg value in 2001-2005.

#405796 - 01/17/08 12:40 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Salmo g.]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
401k's simply allow your employer to spend your pension as they deem fit and are just yet another reversal of New Deal Social programs.

Now just imagine if Social Security & Medicare becomes privatized...into some outfit like Enron where the CEO take take the Nation's Pension Plan and transfer it to his Cayman Island Account.

Recession my ass. Unless outsourcing is outlawed we're looking at a Depression.

#405801 - 01/17/08 01:08 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Irie]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

This is merely a buying opportunity. Lot's of cheap stocks out there right now if you get in long. Most likely the market will fluctuate through the election and then take off. With the value of the dollar in the toilet there will be a lot more foreign investment in the US this year.

#405806 - 01/17/08 01:39 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: stlhead]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
I recently moved most of my retirement into foreign investments. They are more stable and at the rate the US dollar is taking the plunge, it's a wise move.

#405835 - 01/17/08 04:22 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Sol]
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Take your money to Vegas and play high stakes card games 'til you go broke or get rich \:D

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#405838 - 01/17/08 04:26 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Kid Sauk]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
I won't set foot anywhere near the stock market while The Bush Boys are running the FTC.

#405846 - 01/17/08 05:01 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Irie]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Here's what I am telling my clients.........

Money already in invested.....only move 20% to a safer position. The other 80%: ride it out.

New money to be invested....move 20% in now(there are some good things to buy) and hold the other 80% out (in 3 to 6 month CD's) until the b.s. with the banks/mortgage companies smooths out.

Don't panic. The Dow went from 10,500 to 14,000 in two years. When you feed a baby too fast it burps. The stock market just burped. Memo to U.S.A.: Start feeding it again slowly and don't lend $ to morons who would rather walk away from a house than work to keep it. I'd sell my left *&^% before I would walk away from my home.

#405853 - 01/17/08 05:31 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Snake Pliskin]
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
 Originally Posted By: Snake Pliskin
I'd sell my left *&^% before I would walk away from my home.

What's the going rate for a left nut?

Seriously, if I could hang onto our waterfront place till the market improved I could easily get another $100,000 out of it. Unfourtunately, divorce "requires" me to walk away.

#405857 - 01/17/08 05:43 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Sol]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Whats bad for stocks is good for mortgages, as of yesterday imo we have just started another refi boom. I locked MANY client in this week on 30 fix at 5.375% and 15 fix at 4.875%...the rule of thumb in my business is the more turmoil and negativity in the economy the better I do...I am seeing many investors coming off the sidelines this week as well ready to buy. Be happy you live in this state, it is kicking ass compared to the rest of the nation...cheers.

#405865 - 01/17/08 06:13 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: summerrun]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Do you think the .5% rate cut the Fed is supposed to announce at the end of the month will drive the 15 and 30yr fixed rates down even more? Say to maybe 4.5 and 5.125 ?

#405868 - 01/17/08 06:49 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: 4Salt]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
NO, it is priced in right now. Fed rate cuts drop short term debt IR immediately ie variable rate credit cards, heloc's etc...the bond market anticipates fed action well in advance and prices accordingly weeks before it actually happens. There are other more direct cause/effects on mortgage rates but keep your eye on the 10yr T-Bond, that is the best indicator for us common folk of what fixed mtg rates are doing. Prices up, yield down is what you want if you are wanting to buy or refi.

IF the fed does something other than expected, fixed rates often go up the same day the fed announces a cut. I have a helluva time explaining that to people as I get a bunch of calls each time the fed cuts rates but ive seen it happen MANY times.

As of today we are essentially right back where we were in the summer of 03, all time record low rates...i gotta run my phone is ringing steadily for the first time in a year...cheers

#406301 - 01/19/08 03:41 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: summerrun]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Working for the fed govt we have only 4 investment choices for our retirement accounts. All pretty conservative, the riskiest being tied to the S&P Index.

#406307 - 01/19/08 05:13 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Salmo g.]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Yep, I've watched my Annuity slip 46K in just the last few week's. I'm still young though.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#406366 - 01/19/08 09:44 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Magicfly]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Mortgage rates will continue a slow drop down over the next few months. They'll drop below 5% for 30 year mortgages within 3-4 months. Had a meeting with the head of our mortgage unit Friday.

Fed meets end of this month and again in March. Look for 0.5% and 0.25% drops respectively. As summerrun said, Fed rate drops do not corrolate directly to drops in mortgage rates.

It will be a good time to refinance in a few months. If you see 30 year fixed rates hit 5%, get your application in. Better yet, get your information ready now. Go fixed rate only, no option ARM B.S.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#406399 - 01/19/08 11:42 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Dogfish]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
 Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Better yet, get your information ready now. Go fixed rate only, no option ARM B.S.

That's music to my ears Andy, as we need to refi in April. Hopefully we hit things just right. I'm taking summerruns advice and getting prepared now so when the time comes I can lock in and slap everything down for a quick turnaround.

#406406 - 01/20/08 12:21 AM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Sky-Guy]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Don't be worried about it hitting it just right, just get a good spread from where you are today. Once you get a 1-1.5% drop in rates it would be wise to pull the trigger (the higher your mortgage amount, the lower the rate change necessary to realize a quick recapture of refi fees). Once you pull the trigger, don't look back.

On a $300K mortgage dropping from 6% to 5%, payments would drop from $1,798 to $1,610. $188x48 months = $9024. If your closing costs are lower than this $9,024 amount over the next 4 years, you came out ahead. (They really should be lower than this, if not, you are getting hosed.)

Same mortgage but on a 15 year term, rate going from 6% to 5%, payments go from $2,531 to $2,372.

There are a few mortgage pro's here that may correct me, but the general rule is that if you plan on staying in your home for 4-5 years or more, pay the points (loan fee). If you plan on selling in less than 4-5 years choose the lower/no points option.

For example, loans on any given day are 5.375% with a 1% fee, or 5.5% with a 0% fee. The fee needs to be calculated as part of your overall interest cost for the estimated holding time to figure your break-even point.

Should be a good time for folks in the mortgage business in the next few months.

Here is a link to a great loan calculator.
Loan calculator

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#406417 - 01/20/08 01:40 AM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Dogfish]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
I'm already at 5.625 on a 20, but will be paying attention for the next couple months. Thanks for the post Dogfish.

#406457 - 01/20/08 03:32 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: Sol]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
 Originally Posted By: Sol
I recently moved most of my retirement into foreign investments. They are more stable and at the rate the US dollar is taking the plunge, it's a wise move.

Me too Tim.........that sh!t has scored a touchdown for us, 23% growth in past 24 months. Domestic stuff has sucked mooseweenie BIG TIME.

Luckily I already have 25 left on a 30 year at 5.15% so I'm good for that.....

If you have a bad heart, DON'T CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS EVERY DAY dudes! that will just depress you one day and make you think you're Donald Trump the next.

#406487 - 01/20/08 09:40 PM Re: Watch your 401K's! [Re: ]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
Yep Auntie, you are correct. It's not about how much you make but about how much you keep.
If anyone is interested, there are self directed 401k's available. A co-worker rolled over one to a condo purchse for a rental. She bought and sold and the right times and did well. The foreclosure market is making money for some people. I know a couple of guys that have bought and sold several houses since spring. They resell under the going market so they can turn them quickly.
Banks and mortgage companies have their real estate owned (REOs in the biz) properties online and are anxious to dump them so if you are thinking about buying check online for what's available. Regardless of what some people think, lenders do not want the properties. Google REO and lenders websites should show up.They want the money to reloan and aren't set up for handling rentals or maintenance.
Our real estate market in the NW, imo, will suffer but not like most other areas. One of my sons lives in Columbus, Ohio, and there are new subdivsions back there built out and nobody home. I've worked in the real estate field in Western Washington in various capcities for 30+ years including during the interest hike that started in late '79 when a friend had to pay 22% on commercial money. Some people reach a point in their lives where they have to sell and it creates an opportunity for someone else particularly with the prevailing interest rate for loans. Like the old adage about real estate says -They aren't making anymore of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 923 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |