LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#423831 - 03/21/08 07:33 PM Trail Cam???
meat pie Offline
Parr

Loc: The River
Some crazy voice in my head is telling me I have to get one. I could only imagine how cool it would be to see what lurks around when my scent isn't contaminating the area.

What is everyones experience with this product?
Any recomendations such as Flash or infaray?
Who make the best and do I need the best?

I would also like to hear about any other cool gadgets you use when scouting game. The only thing I use presently not including the must haves are GPS, Mountain Bike, Bino,and kick a$$ camo.

Thanks

#423958 - 03/22/08 12:36 PM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: meat pie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have two Bushnell trail cams. One provides security for our 5 acre parcel and the shed out there, the other I use for scouting.

The one I use for security has a 5 MP quality photo, and uses both infra-red and flash for pictures. I don't use the flash because I don't want folks to know it is out there. You can set it to take photos during daytime only, nighttime only, 24 hours, movie or stills, etc. It was over $300. It takes 4 D cell batteries and lasts about 2 months. The photos are great and I am please with it. I'm not posting any photos taken with it because I don't want anybody to know where it is. I have caught a few nice 2 and 3 points on our property that is in the city limits. I have also got pictures of the neighbors kids riding their ATVs out there (I told them they could), racoons, and other animals. I also got a shot of a tweaker who decided to leave my shed alone after seeing the lock. I ran into the guy a few weeks later, and let him know I had his photo. Haven't seen anybody out there since who shouldn't be out there.

The other Bushnell is also a dual use camera but only has the 24 hour option and has fewer features. The cost was about $125, and the photos are of good quality.

Of the two, the 5MP camera has the best locking mechanism that allows me to lag bolt a bracket to a tree and then I lock the camera to the bracket. The inexpensive camera doesn't have a good locking device so I bought a steel "key box" and made a sturdy container for it.

I don't know if they are the best, but for what I use them for, I'm happy. I would try and figure out what you were using it for before you pull the trigger. The extra features are nice, but you'll spend more for them.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#423983 - 03/22/08 05:37 PM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: Dogfish]
meat pie Offline
Parr

Loc: The River
Thanks for the info Dogfish

#427115 - 04/07/08 03:08 AM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: meat pie]
Jason Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA
I've thought about trying out a couple trail cams to help my 0-for-3 record on blacktails here in western WA. Is there anything decent out there for less than $100 each, and will they really help for blacktails? I'd love to be able to hunt fairly close to home again, and I can say for sure that my Alabama whitetails skills aren't helping at all on western WA blacktails. \:\)

#427132 - 04/07/08 09:38 AM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: Jason]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
So Dogfish, i have been thinking about getting a trail cam because my girlfrirnd has a stalker that is prowling around her place and has been in her house twice while she was there. i really want to get this guy. Is the $125 bushnell going to give me good enough pictures to ID this creep or do i need to spend a little more money to do it right.

#427162 - 04/07/08 12:52 PM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: D3Smartie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

D3,

I'll lend you mine for that cause. Then you can see if it works.

#427171 - 04/07/08 01:43 PM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: Dogfish]
D3Smartie Offline

That would be fantastic. The guy left a note the other day saying "i miss you" as she hasnt stayed there for a week. And then she found some flowers outside two days later.
if you dont mind i would love to try it. With as often as this guys is around it shouldnt be too long til we nail his ass.

#427178 - 04/07/08 02:28 PM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: D3Smartie]
Jason Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA
Wow, that sounds like a lot better use of a trailcam than we were talking about. Just make sure it's not one that uses a flash that will get it found and stolen/destroyed.

#427197 - 04/07/08 03:40 PM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: Jason]
D3Smartie Offline

I for sure need it to be without a flash or noise of any kind. I am totally ignorant about these things so i am not even sure how the trailcams function. But I do know it would be a great way to catch this creep.

#427222 - 04/07/08 05:44 PM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: D3Smartie]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Check PM

#428517 - 04/14/08 01:47 PM Re: Trail Cam??? [Re: D3Smartie]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

You need a pistol not a camera, the sound and the flash won't matter if it's aimed right...

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 559 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |