Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#437430 - 06/04/08 12:48 AM My first fly rod
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Loc: Bainbridge Island
Hey there, I was just given a new 9 foot 5wt. WW Grigg with an Okuma Sierra reel I know it is not the best thing going but I dont want to invest alot of money in fly gear until I learn how to use it. This should be fine for SRC's and resident coho should'nt it? I know it is light to be using when the bigger fish are in but I just want to start fly fishing for those fish instead of spinfishing, I think its more effective alot of the time. Anyway any tips on line to use would be appreciated. Thanks -TBJ

#437452 - 06/04/08 10:56 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: TBJ]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
that will be fine. you may want to get something with a little more punch once you experience trying to fish the beaches in bad conditions but for now that will work.
A WF5F(floating) line is what you need, Or a WF5I (intermediate).

Edited by D3Smartie (06/04/08 10:57 AM)

#437453 - 06/04/08 11:24 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: D3Smartie]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Thank you off to the fly shop today. There are some really big resident coho at Flagler right now and a ton of bait gonna try some olive or chartruse clousers. -Tom

#437481 - 06/04/08 02:34 PM Re: My first fly rod [Re: TBJ]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Just went and saw Bill at Penninsula Outfitters. I just wanted to say how helpfull he was. What a great store. -Tom

#437551 - 06/04/08 08:56 PM Re: My first fly rod [Re: TBJ]
Elkman Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Anchorage, AK U.S.A
I've got to see pics of this Tom!!! You without your herring and spinning rod!! What is the world coming to...

Just kidding... hope you have fun. You might want to also try some candlefish patterns as well. A slow strip works great with an unweighted minnow.

good luck

Ryan

#437578 - 06/04/08 10:52 PM Re: My first fly rod [Re: Elkman]
dbl spey Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle, wa
I dont do much of the silvers or SRC but the guys at Patrick's Fly shop do. They all use 8wt single handers. Having said that they also want to cast a country mile because they own or work at a fly shop. I'm sure a 5wt will be big enough to pull in resident silvers and for sure SRC, its just a matter of getting a bigger fly out past 50' that will be an issue with the 5wt.

I do think a 5wt is the perfect all around trout and pan fish rod, good idea to take it out, see how you like fly fishing before spending money on rods to target specific fisheries (like spey for rivers or 7wt for bass...)

Good luck and have fun. We'll know that you've totally hooked if your next posting is asking for advice on a tying vice.

#437584 - 06/04/08 11:27 PM Re: My first fly rod [Re: Elkman]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Dont worry Ryan, when the season opens the herring are coming out. I have several friends who are fly fishing guides and and have been interested in learning how. I have some nice olive and grey clousers ready to go. As far as getting an 8 wt. its coming. I want to do some nymphing this winter for steelies so I am looking at 10 foot 8wt.'s and will probably get one this fall. I have been outfished by my buddy with the fly rod and the olive clousers too many times to not want to learn how to fish this way. -Tom

#437626 - 06/05/08 11:39 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: TBJ]
SciGuy Offline
Superstar in diapers

Loc: B.I.
I hear ya TBJ. My fly gear is now all set up for beach coho but it'll be really hard to keep from breaking out the spinning gear and chucking herring. I'll be sticking to BI beaches mostly but I might make a few trips up to your stomping grounds too. As far as new herring rigs...think bubble fly.

Put 'em back.

#437631 - 06/05/08 12:18 PM Re: My first fly rod [Re: SciGuy]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Tom,
Welcome to the dark side.... Next, you'll buy a vise and start collecting dead animal parts to tie on a hook smile

#438839 - 06/11/08 04:07 PM Re: My first fly rod [Re: Driftin']
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Tom,
I seen you put your master herring skills to work on the beaches. I have no doubt you'll pick up the fly game quickly. It's addictive for sure.
Brian

P.S. Don't overlook chartreuse and pink clousers over white and in solid colors.

Edited by stonefish (06/11/08 09:06 PM)

#438908 - 06/12/08 12:48 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: stonefish]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

Brian, I was out there tonight. I am getting the fly out about 25 to 35 feet and getting enough of a presentation to leave the spinning rod in the car. I have been practicing an hour or two at a time so I dont get too frusterated. Alot of bait off of the beach recently and one nice jumper that kept me casting another half hour tonight. No takes yet but I think I am getting a decent presentation so it is only a matter of time. I can already tell that I am gonna want to invest in an 8 wt. soon. Thanks for the words of encouragment. -Tom

Edited by TBJ (06/12/08 12:50 AM)

#438910 - 06/12/08 12:57 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: TBJ]
D3Smartie Offline

Tom- Its starting to pick up lately after a tough spring. Keep at it and you'll find some fish. What beaches have you been fishing?

#438941 - 06/12/08 10:43 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: D3Smartie]
TBJ Offline
Carcass

I fished Lynwood once and other than that have been hitting PNP and finding the bait. Lots of bait. Young of the year candlefish and herring and red and green lable herring have been very abundant. I was thinking of going to hit some Dabob area beaches this weekend as those have always produced SRC'S on the spinning gear. -T

#438953 - 06/12/08 11:28 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: TBJ]
D3Smartie Offline

If you catch a SRC at PnP take a picture. I have seen very few ever caught up there. There are a few up that way but i have always found them on the rockier beaches.
Dabob would be a decent bet right now. I was just over there yesterday shrimping and the water was off color but still fishable. Lots of salmon smolt around and some big schools of sandlance, about 1.5 - 2 inches long.
Once it gets a little later in the summer and the fishing picks up, lets get out in the boat and catch some cutts.

#438994 - 06/12/08 01:07 PM Re: My first fly rod [Re: D3Smartie]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
At least when it came to hucking a popper on a Rio Outbound, I much preferred my 8wt Loomis over the 6wt Sage.

I'm sure if I learned how to do a double haul cast, I'd probably change my mind, but since I can't cast that way for crap, it's nice to have that heavier/whippier rod to get that line and fly out.

At least in my limited experience, once the coho were in, they usually hit about 10' in front of you. 100' casts didn't seem to be necessary....although they sure do make you you look and feel good!

Much like a good golf shot.

Kinda getting excited to hit KidSquid's beach for some popper fishing. thumbs

#439010 - 06/12/08 02:24 PM Re: My first fly rod [Re: The Moderator]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Tom,
One other accessory you might want to consider picking up is a stripping basket. It will likely improve your casting distance, reduce tangles and keep your line from picking up seaweed. They are a good line management tool. Not everyone is a fan of them, but I personally won't hit the beach without mine.

Parker,
Pay for a casting lesson and learn to double haul. It would be good money spent. Then you can have more fun with the ho's on your lighter 6 wt.
Brian

#439073 - 06/13/08 12:42 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: stonefish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Last couple years I have fished a 5-wt. Used to have an 8, but I picked up a nice Orvis CF IV and was told to put it on a 5. Works really nice, so far. Picked up everything from some Yellowstone Cutts to Kennedy Creek chum. Handled them all just fine. The rod that I probably enjoy most is one my Dad made for me. It is about 3' long and I use it on tiny, brushy creeks. Easy to snake out those little beauties and not get all tangled in the brush.

#439075 - 06/13/08 01:02 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: Carcassman]
D3Smartie Offline

Had one hell of a night tonight. Lots of sandlance and the resis were on the prowl. smile

#439080 - 06/13/08 02:02 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: D3Smartie]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: D3Smartie
Had one hell of a night tonight. Lots of sandlance and the resis were on the prowl. smile

And the photos are forthcoming?

#439084 - 06/13/08 02:16 AM Re: My first fly rod [Re: Driftin']
D3Smartie Offline

I'll see what I can do... smile gotta get them off the camera and hosted online. Maybe a report tomorrow and pics after i hit it again tomorrow night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (skyrise, Krijack, steely slammer), 1504 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645405 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |