THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#444863 - 07/22/08 01:41 AM Area 7 Report....
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham
Yo, just checking in to see if anyone has anything to report from area 7. Was headed out on Sat, and the seas said "go crabbing in the bay"......was headed to do Obstruction/Pt Lawrence, and heard it was good....,anyone out there finding fish?....Sincerely Tom

#444874 - 07/22/08 07:46 AM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: Speyguy]
A-DOG Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
Its still happening. If I went off of my log book I would have said dont bother over this last weekend with the full moon. But we caught fish. Pretty encouraging. Actually since my last report we have had fish and or takedowns every trip except last night. Headed out again in about 5 mins. FYI I did see a dandy caught at Obstruction Saturday an hour before the change, but I have been going that way less as we are hitting fish farther North and back towards town here.

#444919 - 07/22/08 02:08 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: A-DOG]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I've heard mixed reports, although some are certainly finding fish. I spent some time jigging on Saturday morning but didn't find any fish or see any caught around me. I was further south though. Enough bait and fish on the finder to be encouraging.

Thanks for the regular reports, A-Dog. I appreciate them. It sounds like you are locked in!

-Kaiser D.

#444965 - 07/22/08 04:47 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Next Year Offline
Eyed Egg

I was camping at Doe Is. this weekend and made it to Obstruction for a couple hours in the morning Saturday where we picked up a 17 pounder.
In the afternoon I took my 7yo son to Pt Lawrence at the end of the ebb and we got a 25 pounder in a half hour of fishing. He couldn't quite handle the knuckle buster (used to spinning reels) so I had to help him out, but he did great getting the other line and riggers up and netted the fish.
Good times

#445020 - 07/22/08 07:23 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: Next Year]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Did you take your 7 yo son to the naked hippie rave party @ doe bay on Sat?...just kidding. Thanks for the encouraging reports....I'm going out all day tomorrow probably to pt lawrence/Obstruction/Indian Village or Secret Harbor...The fish checker @ Squalicum checked 15 kings by 2pm on Sat(biggest day so far)....I'll post the report tomorrow....Tom

#445044 - 07/22/08 10:55 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
A-DOG Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I feel pretty fortunate. We get so spoiled during Blackmouth season around here its hard to compare the two seasons. The good thing like you said is the amount of bait. More than I have seen in a long long time. The bigger tides definately make it tough but we have tried to stay on fish when we find them. It helps to have some buddy boats fishing to. FH is a small town, word gets around pretty quick, which saves some time. It died on me last night and this morning in SJ Channel. Had a good 3 day streak going there. Oh well, I will consult the tide tables and current charts and make an educated guess on where to go later this week. If the weather is good I will be north. I run a 20 Alumaweld intruder say hi. Here is a pick of one i got saturday....Oh funny I was just reading the cell phone fish on threads.....Yeah this was one of them to! My dad listened to the whole battle. Pretty cool. FYI most of the fish we have been hitting are Averaging 12-14. This one was 17.

#445083 - 07/23/08 10:17 AM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: A-DOG]
CDSeattle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Thanks for the reports, guys. I will be heading up to FH for a couple days this weekend and plan to fish Sat and Sun mornings.

Last year we did OK at Eagle Point (west side of SJ island). Is anyone catching fish out there or should we plan to fish at Obstruction?

#445088 - 07/23/08 11:01 AM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: CDSeattle]
West Side Offline
Alevin

Loc: Shaw Island, WA
I noticed that the tides are not lined up for a morning ebb at O Pass or Lawrence Point this weekend unless you start fishing at 4:00 AM. What areas do people recommend for an incoming tide in Rosario, Haro or Presidents Channel? I've had luck at Open Bay, Eagle Bluff and Girl Scout Camp. Any suggestions for this weekend. I was thinking of trying the north side of Waldron or Sucia. Any reports from up there?

#445115 - 07/23/08 01:55 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: West Side]
A-DOG Offline
Juvenile at Sea

You can fish Eagle Bluff on the Flood. West Side SJI you can fish the Ebb South and the flood North.

#445211 - 07/23/08 11:52 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: A-DOG]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Hey, fished Pt. Lawrence/Buoy 16 ALL day...Tons of bait, especially in the deeper water...the only real take down was a 22" ling.....Fish checker checked only one fish(coho).... had a full gas tank and thought about going N. to Waldron etc...but the voice of reason said keep trolling....Going back out Sat to ????. Haven't decided where..Let's keep this post alive with some awsome reports from somewhere....Gotta cook some crab....Tom

#445769 - 07/28/08 05:39 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: Speyguy]
West Side Offline
Alevin

Loc: Shaw Island, WA
Fished three days straight and it was sloooooooow! Went to Eagle Bluff lots of bait, birds, charter boats and nothing no fish caught by anyone. Tried O-Pass for the ebb nothing. The next day tried the west side of San Juan. Lots of orcas no bits. The final day we tried the north side of Waldron saw fish jumping probably sockeye or coho lots of bait but no bits. Great fishing weekend just poor catching. I used the same set up that was successful in early July and also tried jigging (caught an octopus and rockfish). Where were the fish this weekend? Secret Harbor?, Thatcher Pass or Lopez Flats? I think we need a good rain to push more fish into the islands.

I have to wait until late September to fish again. Hoping for a nice Harrison River Chinook off the west side.

#445798 - 07/28/08 07:09 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: West Side]
sgoose Offline
Fry

Sounds like there was nothing around Thatcher, Lopez, Secret Hbr, etc this weekend either. Also heard checker in Anacortes late afternoon Sat. had seen 24 boats with 4 fish, and two of those were from the same boat.

#445811 - 07/28/08 08:06 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: sgoose]
A-DOG Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I fished Waldron for a bit Friday afternoon. Nothing. I fished Saturday afternoon at Rocky Bay. Nothing. Sunday the wind just didnt look very inviting so I went to the archery range. I didnt even do well on my crab pots over the weekend. Didnt hear of any caught either. Nets are now in on the West side of SJI I presume for Sockeye. If weather cooperates we are hitting MCB area this weeknend. Should be a fun trip. I cant even get a room or campsite over there. Wow! I though FH was a tourist show. Probably stay on my boat or if I can find a campsite would like to camp.

#445828 - 07/28/08 09:33 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: A-DOG]
eveningbite Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Fished hard Friday and Saturday. The spit off Fisherman's bay, nada, Hien Bank, nada, Eagle Point and legal side of Salmon Bank, nada. Spring pass turned out to be the ticket. Two in the upper teens and three lost during battles. Very slow and hard fishing.

#445830 - 07/28/08 09:39 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: eveningbite]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Sunday....

Tide Point, Strawberry, Blakely, all til 1pm.....nada.

I got a call at 2pm, saying I should have hit O-Pass on my way out, 3 boats, 6 fish....go figure.

#445831 - 07/28/08 09:53 PM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: Thrasher]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Good friends, good camping, good crabbing, Zodiac-induced feathered hair, and even a good fish while getting my jig on. Went 17.5 to 18 on the digital scale. It gave me the shakes. Found fish and A LOT of bait everywhere but not many biters with the exception of our share of dogfish.

-Kaiser D.

Attachments
IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

#445850 - 07/29/08 12:00 AM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: eveningbite]
A-DOG Offline
Juvenile at Sea

SWEET! Way to get into fish eveningbite! What kind of boat were you in? Kaiser D, EXCELLENT photo. That was sure a pretty one! Glad people are still finding fish! I was definately starting to get bummed.

#445863 - 07/29/08 01:40 AM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: A-DOG]
eveningbite Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
A-DOG
Red 34 ft pursut center console with twin yamaha 250's. If you see me on the water give a wave. Spring Pass was fishing well on the modest low slack. Some of the locals are getting one or two at high slack of the spit off Fishermans bay in front of the rock. Picked up two thier last week. Keep the reports coming, it seems area 7 gets left out for fishing reports. For die hard fisherman who want to test thier skills I think it is some of the best water in the state. If there are nets on the outside I always run to MCB. Would love to hear how it is fishing.

#445864 - 07/29/08 01:43 AM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: A-DOG]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Hey A-Dog, I'm also starting to get a little bummed as I'm still salmonless for 08(only blackmouth I caught @ pt lawrence got chomped by a seal...well released some native's @ Seiku on the 4th...and a long distance release @ Kingston a week or so ago, but in my home turf.....nothing...which in the last few years has become more common than I'd like.... Area 7E opens soon, and some of my favorite close spots will also.....watched a native seiner the other day set right outside of about 300 recreational pots off Aliza....pulled about a 5 gallon bucket of something bigger than herring/maybe some herring.....none of it left the boat....reefnet's on lummi had a sockeye opening today and some fish were caught....Might drag the boat to keystone/edmonds and fish Mid channel/Kingston depending....Saw you had the same plan.....I'd be in a 19ft Olympic w/Yamaha motor.....all your pics are motivating...Tom

#445865 - 07/29/08 01:54 AM Re: Area 7 Report.... [Re: eveningbite]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Eveningbite...just curious, are your motors 2-stroke?, wether or not, just wondering what you're gallons/hr rate is on that boat?....sounds like a mean boat....look out for pirates in a 19ft olympic....;-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Carcassman), 1459 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |