Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#459331 - 10/11/08 06:49 PM 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
Arrived at camp on the Sept 28th, and its was 87 degrees at 4 pm. We where hunting in extreme northern Humboldt County, not far from the Klamath River. My buddy Eric, and I set up camp, and got the sleeping bags ready for that night, which ended up being a smart move. We had heard from other hunters that there were a lot of bears around, and we had the week off to try to fill our tags. We began our hunt in an area that several bears had been taken in the past few years. I hadnt hunted this area for over a year, and was suprised to find it had been clear cut, darn it.
We changed plans and I moved us to a spot I had been on bears in the past. We parked the quads, and began a slow quiet walk on a logging road. I checked the wind with my puffer, and it was perfect, blowing right in our faces. We walked about a 1/2 mile and came into the area I had heard bears in the past few years. As we began a sharp turn luck shined on us, and we caught a decent bear crossing the road. She had no idea we were there, and Eric was able to put one right between the eyes. The bear dropped and was DRT (dead right there). After a couple pics, and tagging we walked back to the quads, and drove up and loaded her up. We later weighed her, and she was a solid 150 lbs. We took her back to camp, and finished gutting and skinning, and had the bag on her by 11pm. After a couple whisky drinks we were out.

The next morning we hunting another good area, and I could hear a bear in the brush. I kept trying to get ahead of the sound, but was never able too. Eric was tagged out, for bear, and looking for a buck. WIth no luck we went back to camp, and had lunch. I was back in the brush by 2 pm. This time I was hunting an area of white oaks. Again the wind was blowing in my face. After about an hour I saw a decent bear ,and tried an off hand shot at about 50 yards. Wow, I completely missed him. I spent 40 minutes looking for blood or any sign I may have hit em. Now I was bummed I had missed a nice bear, and probably scared any other bears off. I kept on the hunt, and about 30 minutes later came into a clearing. At about 120 yards I saw a nice bear feeding under a large oak tree. I was able to sneak up to a tree for a rest, and waited for a good shot. After the longest 5 minutes of my life the bear finally gave me a broadside shot. I touched off the shot, and saw the bear arch up his back, and take off running. I waited for about 30 minutes, and then slowly walked down to the area I had shot. I looked, and looked, and found no blood. That crappy feeling was washing over me, and I was getting seriously bummed. I kept looking, cause in the past I have seen that arching of the back, it usually meant it was a good center mass shot. I began to cut trail in circle pattern from where I thought he was when I shot. After a few minutes of nothing, I was really getting down. Finally at about 30 yards and over a small crest, I found him piled up.
I hooked up with Eric, and we spent the next 2 hours trying to find a way to get a quad to him. Erics GPS was on the fritz, so we went old school, and drug him up the hill and out the trial I had been on. Two hours later we got him to the quad. Back to camp we go, and agian we are in the dark skinning a bear. This guy came in at right at 220 lbs.

These bears were not big monsters, but we were happy with them. There is just something about going out on your own, spotting and stalking a bear. Hope ya enjoy the pics ,and story.

#459346 - 10/11/08 10:09 PM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: tyeeterror]
Tackle Shack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: WA
Thats a cool report,

You guys look familiar, do you happen to be corrections officers?

J/K

#459348 - 10/11/08 10:21 PM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: Tackle Shack]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Nice bears....

Keith thumbs

#459356 - 10/11/08 11:59 PM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: stlhdr1]
bonkit Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
Nice bears, way to go...I like that shot dead center of the eyes...

#459358 - 10/12/08 12:09 AM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: bonkit]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Good job on the bears.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#459851 - 10/14/08 03:34 PM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: Dogfish]
rtturbo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA
nice job

#460104 - 10/15/08 03:24 PM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: rtturbo]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
That top bear is one dead bear.

Hmmm, bear brains.

Nice bears!

#460872 - 10/18/08 12:02 PM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: The Moderator]
milton Offline
Juvenille at Sea

nice, my dad got a 350 lb about ten years ago

#460984 - 10/18/08 08:05 PM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: milton]
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
Congrats guys. Sounds like a great hunt.

I just filled my second bear tag of 2008 two nights ago.

#463203 - 10/28/08 05:20 PM Re: 2008 bear season over for us, 2 down. PICS [Re: riverswild]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Nice.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |