THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#472837 - 12/12/08 01:16 PM Help with drift boat question.
You caught how many. Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Hello all,

I have owned a Clackacraft for the last 10 years. I have since sold it and am now thinking about buying a new drift boat again. I am considering a aluminum boat specifically a WILLIE BOAT 17x60. Now my question is with rowing. I have rowed alumawelds, northriver, and a couple other aluminium boats. They all seem like tanks when rowing up stream, weather in current or not. What's interesting is that the willie boat weights only about 50lbs more then the Clackacraft. I talked with willie and they said the back of there boats are so high they row differently then the other aluminium boats.

So what do you think, specifically those of you who have rowed a fiberglass boat Vs. aluminium. I have not rowed a WILLIE, which is suppose to be the best tracking over all aluminium. I know all the pros and cons. but I am interested in knowing how the willie rows as far as how many strokes it takes to row upstream or hold in place or vs. fiberglass boats. The aluminium just feels like once it get's started going down stream there is no stopping it? Thanks for your input. Jeff

#472840 - 12/12/08 01:31 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: You caught how many.]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood
Obviously it depends where you fish and how...

You may notice that almost all the guides on the OP use aluminum boats. It's more a question of durability than one of rowability.

Why do you need to row upstream so much?

Perhaps that 50lbs is enough to add a stroke or two to your above mentioned scenario, and if that's the most relevant factor in your decision, then stick with glass...

Personally, i feel that my Willie 16X54 rowed like a champ. If I did miss a stroke or two, I'd much rather hit stuff in a metal boat...

I suggest trying to hitch a ride (or hire a guide) in a Willie and beg to row it for a while. I sold mine or I would offer up a ride.

(I also believe that the rowablity has a lot to do with the oars too: having the right weight and length will make it feel much easier. If possible, compare glass to metal with THE SAME OARS. wink )

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#472869 - 12/12/08 02:55 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: hohbomb73]
carpdiem Offline
Parr

If you want to try another glass boat you might want to look at a Lavro

#472873 - 12/12/08 03:09 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: carpdiem]
rtturbo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Fear no Rock
Clackacraft

I've been rowing a clack for 24 years and I've bounced these boats off of everything and is very easy to go back up.

#472886 - 12/12/08 03:43 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: rtturbo]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I feel different boats have different applications. Some offer more rocker to move around boulder gardens near slides. I believe the glass boats are best for floating shallow water, summer flows.

Every boat is a compromise. Pick the one that fills your needs and the majority of wants. Try a used boat or two to find your niche.
This is a buyers market, I've seen some good deals out there.

#472893 - 12/12/08 04:03 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: You caught how many.]
James T Offline
Fry

Why don't you consider getting another Clack? I've owned 10 driftboats in my life and Clack is by far the easiest rowing. Glass is warmer than alum., but not as tough. This year I tried out an 18 foot Clackamax and found it was easier to row than my 17 alum. boat (that I still have), so I bought one. The 18 foot Clack is REALLY big and comfortable and with the new innovations on the bottoms of Clackacrafts you'll find that the big boat rows easier than a lot of 16 alum. boats. But, Clacks are expensive.

#472958 - 12/12/08 06:02 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: James T]
The Sensei #1 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: forks
go with the 17x60, put my dad and two uncles which would be a total wieght of near 1000lbs and rowed all day long just as it was only two dudes in the front and none in the back. Dont know anything about how many oar strokes or what not just that the 60 bottom tracks less water and seems more balanced, rows like a gem, ah choices, good luck.

#472988 - 12/12/08 07:37 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: The Sensei #1]
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
Love my 17x60 but you know that

#473008 - 12/12/08 08:18 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: You caught how many.]
bronc Offline
Parr

Loc: vancouver wa
i had a lavro , an sorry i sold it , later i got an alumaweld an d wished i had the glass boat back again , theres no question in my mind the glass boat was much easier to row an handle , how ever the alumaweld is in destrucktable so its up to
what you value , my alum boat sits out in the yard all summer it the sun an it isnt affected by the wheather , howevr i think the gass boat might be more affected by the sun , in any case the glass boat is tuff as far as running the river in , i seen some pretty badly dentd up alumin boats,i think a glass boat is tougher in that respect,i dont think you can put a hole in a glass boat, at least i never seen one. they slip over the rocks easier,

#473024 - 12/12/08 09:13 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: bronc]
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Mike has been a great help, and offered to let me row his 17 x 60, I can't wait. The great thing about this board is there are experienced anglers on here. Some other boards are made up of mostly office boys, who are board at work. You guys rule! Jeff

#473026 - 12/12/08 09:26 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: bronc]
Steelie Tamer Offline
Smolt

Loc: SW Washington
I sold my clack last spring and bought a 17x60 willie, you won't regret it a bit as I was amazed at how well the willie rows and handles, the thing tracks like a dream! Also, it's hard to beat the price on a new willies, I paid 6k for mine brand new and they will work with you on the options you want, just be prepared to wait a little while for them get it built for you though, but it's worth the wait.

#473036 - 12/12/08 10:06 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: Steelie Tamer]
Juvenile at Sea

Great, Looking at the packaged 17 x 60 willie any options you guys think you would want added to the standard boat? Longer oars, different oars, fish boxes, or storage boxes?? Thanks, Jeff

Edited by You caught how many. (12/12/08 10:10 PM)

#473049 - 12/12/08 11:29 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: You caught how many.]
James T Offline
Fry

On any new drift boat I would get an under-seat storage as an option. Then consider getting another under-seat storage box for the rower's seat. They add very little to the over all weight of the boat and add immeasurably to its comfort by being able to get things out of the way - like a stove for a quick lunch, life jackets when they're not being used, a tool/repair kit, extra clothing, rain gear, etc. A few extra pounds won't make any difference in a wide bottomed boat.

I like the extra room of a big boat for overnight float trips in the summer or winter. You can pack a lot of stuff in a big drift boat. Even though I prefer a Clackacraft, I know the Willie 17X60 is a great boat too. And you can't wear it out.

I'm somewhat amazed at what design advances have been made in driftboats the last 20 years. I've been rowing one for 40 years and not too long ago a 16X48 boat was considered the optimum. Now we know that a 60 inch bottom floats higher and rows easier per boat weight. Who'd a thunk it?

#473084 - 12/13/08 06:37 AM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: James T]
sdaff Offline
Egg

Loc: p-townt
Just feel it's necessary to give a shout out to RO Drift boats from bozeman, Mt. The 16ft guide model pulls off of rocks very easy(1-3 strokes). http://www.rodriftboats.com/

Draws very shallow, Pivots nicely, seems like the water flows underneath even in heavy water with minimal effort( tracking i guess). For example in riffle to cut-bank with rocks and only one way through situations the boat is easy to slow down and find the line. Also, takes waves nicely.

As far as pounding rocks, this it can do even at night -- Lifetime warranty as long as not sunk. The RO devilee looks pretty sweet for windy days.

I would say clackas are built better and row about the same but more expensive. lavros seems to be known for toughness but are also heavy.

Just my two cents from when i was researching dbs a couple years back.

#473134 - 12/13/08 05:21 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: sdaff]
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
This is a good time to order a Willieboat. They are done with most of the winter ordered boats, and dont start the Alaska boats till next year. Ordered my powerboat just after Thanksgiving, and it was done by the end of Janauary. Pretty good turn around for a custom built boat.

#473139 - 12/13/08 06:49 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: You caught how many.]
hollywood Offline
Fry

TRM is having 25% off of willie dbs till the end of dec. (wish I could afford one!)

#473374 - 12/15/08 05:48 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: hollywood]
gw Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Albany, Or
I've got a 18x60 WIllie that I really like. I was going order a 17x60 and when I went in they had this boat sitting on the lot. Great shape with more options than I would have paid for and less money than I was going to spend. I havent rowed a new clacka, but I would take my boat over a river craft, 16x54 wille, and most definately a NR. I used to own a NR sled so I'm not anti NR, but their drift boats are the worst rowing boat I've ever been in. They draft a ton of water, row heavy, and come with those horrible little chop stick oars. If your setting yourself up for a boat that rows like a NR, you'll be smiling ear to ear the first time you take it down the river.

The front storage under the seat and the fish box are both mandatory. I'd spring for the adjustable box in the rear and diamond plate floors while your at it. You'll have a really nice boat that will fish great for years to come.

#473509 - 12/16/08 04:15 AM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: gw]
bobberdog Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish Co
I,ve rowed glass my whole life. My Buddy bought the fully loaded model last winter and I offered to row his boat for the virgin trip, and all I can say is I would MUCH rather row my glass boat. Tracking was better in the cold boat, not enough for me to ever switch to metal though. .02 more for ya

#473516 - 12/16/08 10:36 AM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: bobberdog]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
I have spent a lot of time in a drift boat, Right now I am in a 17x60 Willie. Last winter I did a demo on a new Clack over on the Oregon coast. Needless to say I would not buy one. After dropping it of the first slide it had a chip in the jell coat. The second day we had to drag it and the Bottom was all scratched up. You wold not have this Prob with a Aluminum. Just my two cents.

#473541 - 12/16/08 12:13 PM Re: Help with drift boat question. [Re: cowlitzkiller]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Cowlitzkiller,
I'm just curious since I've never owned a drift boat: Could you have dragged the aluminun over the same route you dragged the glass boat? All the advertising films address this, and parlay it to running shallows and how you'd hang up in aluminum, vs how a glass boat will slip over it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 793 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |