THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#474082 - 12/18/08 07:21 PM Whats the Nymph set up this time a year.
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LynnHood
Just bringing a buddy and a 5 weight tomorrow heading up to the sky/Wallace. ( 2 weeks ago snapped my 8 weight, ouch!) So far this year has been semi good, taking 1 big dolly and a few salmon earlier in the season. I don't have my sink tip right now so no swinging! The last 2 outings I have been drifting yarny's x2 ( egg patterns) with an indicator on the float line. zip O. Is there another pattern I should be trying with the nymph indicator setup? Perhaps a pink marabou dead drift???? I don't know. Big Black stone with rubber legs? Just want my first winter run steel. Is it that my guides keep icing up every other cast and the fish agree it's to damn cold? Any help from a steel slayer would be sweeeeeeet! Thanks.

"I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!"
Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

#474083 - 12/18/08 07:24 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: BCB]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
i'd fish a pink beadheaded worm or a small eggsucking leech with a lifter or cab egg dropper.

#474085 - 12/18/08 07:28 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: D3Smartie]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

I have the esl's. What is a lifter? And would the Marabou imitate the worm pattern aswell as the leech pattern? Thanks

#474140 - 12/18/08 11:33 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: BCB]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
Downturned eye, steel eyed pink & white bunny leach has been a good producer for winter brats, either high stick drifted no indicator or the 90 degree indicator rig.

#474440 - 12/20/08 02:38 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Gray Ghost]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I think nymphing a winter steelhead rig on a 5 wt will be a challenge. I'm not a nympher, but if I were to try it I'd fish an ESL like D3 said and a glow bug or bead or Lifter or Caballero, etc. as a dropper.

For ease of casting a nymphing rig I set up a line last year that I think will better serve the purpose. For my 8 wt rod I took a WF10F line and cut off the front 8' and formed a loop. The front taper doesn't turn over the split shot or weighted nymph so well, so removing it and letting the heavier belly section do the heavy work seems pretty functional. I just need to put some time into it and see how well it works out.

Sg

#474758 - 12/22/08 10:51 AM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Salmo g.]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

I cast a 5 w stiff, It isn't as bad casting as I thought it would be. Alittle tough getting the line up off the water but not bad for I only need 30 feet max typically to dead drift a hole or slot. I use an interesting mend technique taught to me by my brother to get 100 foot drifts with my fly line. I do miss my 8 weight, not as much work to get the weighted fly's out there.

#474835 - 12/22/08 05:19 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: BCB]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
www.troutbeads.com

Mottled orange, natural roe, pearl pink and bubble gum pink. 10 mil with an 8 mil dropper or glo bug. Setup with split shot 12-18" above the bead which is pegged 2.5 inches above a #4 hook. You want it to just tick the bottom. 15+ fish on this rig so far this year.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#474902 - 12/22/08 11:16 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ColeyG]
big o Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: bothell
I like those esl's done with the trout beads

#474941 - 12/23/08 09:59 AM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: big o]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

I typically run double yarn patterns with number 7 split, with a thingamabobber!

#478024 - 01/06/09 10:14 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: BCB]
Nympho Mania Offline
Egg

I prefer to Nymph Fish for Steel Head. Have done pretty well over the past couple of years. I moved out here from Montana about 5 years ago. Went into a Fly shop and asked how to catch Steelhead, the guy gave me some good advice and told me to fish the same way we did in Montana for trout. I prefer to fish a big fly on top (Kilowat, Egg sucking leach, Etc) and drop an egg pattern. Have done much better using this technique than swinging. Yet to catch a steel head swinging flies. I have caught plenty of other salmon, dollies, trout swinging just no Steel yet. Those thingamabobber really have allowed me to drift nymph some big flies. Just bought some eggs from trout beads per Coley G's suggestion thanks and hopefully the floods wont last too long.

#478031 - 01/06/09 10:33 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Nympho Mania]
Queets guy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: port orchard, WA
Ive always had a dilema with fishing beads, theres something I dont like about my hook being below my bead by a couple inches. Im not sure why, I guess I think I would miss a lot of fish, but I havnt used beads long enough to really test that theory. Do any of you guys perfer fishing beads over glo bugs, glue eggs....ect? I also agree that thingamabobbers are the best indacators out there! Just order 5 packs of the XLs.

#478036 - 01/06/09 10:45 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Queets guy]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

I prefer Beads over glo bugs. Pegged 2.5 to 3 inches above a # 4 octopuss. When your indicator goes down set the hook, no different than having a glo bug right on the hook. I have had more success on Beads then generic looking glo bugs. Yarnys are my second option. Have you ever tied your own Floats? I have been using Thingamabobbers alot and am finding I dont like them as much as hand tied yarn indicators. Just my 2 cents!

#478064 - 01/07/09 01:26 AM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: BCB]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Funny that others know and use the Thingamabobber. I randomly ran into them in a fly shop in BC last summer and picked a couple up. I love them... and I've tried a lot of commercial and homemade indicators.

I have yet to fish the bead but I can attest to their ability to catch fish. Pretty f'ing cool actually. And Coley has made me a firm believer on the importance of different beads. Put them in the water when you get them and compare different ones. Then do it again in different water conditions. It is an interesting experiment.

I think nymph fishing with indicators is a lot of fun. The feeling of sticking a fish hard when the indicator goes under (or goes ballistic!) is so exciting. I think one of my favorite fishing memories of 2008 is watching my mom's thingamabobber rip diaganally through the water as a big rainbox slide over in a fast-moving slot and engulfed a large stonefly nymph. Reel screamer!

#478085 - 01/07/09 03:53 AM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Queets guy]
Pisco Sicko Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Twisp WA
The hook is below the bead for the same reason the FnP has his special Kenai baitholder. Just trying to reduce the possibility of fish swallowing the hook with the bead. I've been using troutbeads for several years, and prefer them over globugs. I'm not a fan of troutbead's leader wrap method for locating the bead above the hook. The beads seem to easily cut through the tippet material, so I've been snelling small amounts of yarn onto the leader/tippet and then letting the bead slide down onto the yarn. Ends up looking like a little corkie-and-yarn drift rig.

#478097 - 01/07/09 09:33 AM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Pisco Sicko]
Nympho Mania Offline
Egg

I have tied my own indicators for years and recently discovered the thingamabobber, my buddie brought them back from the Clearwater last fall. I guess they were all the rage out there, I had my reservations at first about putting a balloon on my line but then I tried them and they float a hell of a lot better than any indecators I have ever tied. I am not a purist by any stretch, just like to catch fish and prefer a flyrod to fishing with spinning rods or baitcasters,Then I started seeing them in all the Flyshops around here. The forecast for next week is looking sweet so hopefully the flooding will be short lived and we can be fishing by later next week. So far this year has been really slow for me on the local rivers and I am hoping a fresh batch of steel rides the high water up. I just registered to this forum and I like seeing the Fly fishing link.

Good Luck

Mania

#478148 - 01/07/09 01:47 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: Nympho Mania]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

A nail knot using 20-30lb mono helps keep the bead in place above the hook as well. Some prefer to let the bead slide freely up and down the leader. I like it pegged in place with a toothpick. I think it is super key to use a very light mono/fluoro leader, 6lb to 8lb at the most, to let the bead move like a real egg in the subtle currents. Thicker test really stiffens the action of the bead/glo bug.

I like mottled beads in clear water with lots of light and clear/bright beads in dirtier water or lower light conditions. As Aaron said, experiment and don't be afraid to try some weird stuff. The chartreuse 10mil with a blood dot has taken a lot of fish!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#478162 - 01/07/09 02:30 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ColeyG]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
This is old info but.... last winter on the Hoh (Feb 2008) noticed a fly guy fighting a nice fish out of a DB. The set up was a straight forward enough an 8 wt. & floating line about a 8' leader strike indicator set @ 6', but here is the strange part.

There was a big red egg/bead about 7 or 8mm pinned on the line about 8" above a 1/16 oz. barbell headed rabbit fur jig.

Dude landed a nice 16-17 lb. buck on it, I have no clue why was the egg pinned to the leader ??

c/22

#478215 - 01/07/09 05:12 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: ColeyG
www.troutbeads.com

Mottled orange, natural roe, pearl pink and bubble gum pink. 10 mil with an 8 mil dropper or glo bug. Setup with split shot 12-18" above the bead which is pegged 2.5 inches above a #4 hook. You want it to just tick the bottom. 15+ fish on this rig so far this year.

Coley,
Do you ever put the split shot between the two beads?
This has worked well for me with both beads and nymphs. A guide I fished with showed me that technique about twenty years ago.

#478220 - 01/07/09 05:39 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: stonefish]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

No I can't say I have tried that. At first thought, it seems like it would kill the action of the first bead and make it drag the bottom more than you would want. I don't really like the dropper because of this either, it pulls on the first bead in funny ways that gives it an unnatural look. In small water with good vis where I know I am getting my stuff in front of the fish, I will fish the single bead. In bigger water with some color or really generic terrain, I usually go with the double rig as described previously as it searches a bit better I think.

A "big" bead for steelhead is 12mil. Small is 8mil.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#478224 - 01/07/09 05:58 PM Re: Whats the Nymph set up this time a year. [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I haven't found it to be an action killer. I just adjust my indicator slightly shorter when running the split in the middle to avoid dragging the bottom to much. One advantage I think it does offers is that it gets things down into the zone a little quick in faster runs.
I agree with you though, sometimes running the double set-up is more hassle then it is worth.

12 mm beads.... I've got 10's. If you don't mind, what is your source for those?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 948 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |