Rate This Topic
#486592 - 02/10/09 01:44 AM Let me see if I got this rght
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Should Marijuana Laws In Washington be More Lenient

Q13 FOX News Online Staff

February 10, 2009

The Washington Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing Tuesday morning on Senate Bill 5615, a bill that would reclassify possession of small amounts of marijuana from a misdemeanor, carrying mandatory jail time, to a civil infraction and a $100 dollar fine.

According to the Washington A.C.L.U., In 2007, enforcement of Washington laws for possession of marijuana resulted in over 11,000 arrests, 3,600 convictions (with an average sentence of four days in jail), and cost an estimated $7.5 million dollars.

The A.C.L.U. says it supports Senate Bill 5615 sponsored by Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles.

Alison Holcomb with the A.C.L.U. says: "We don't believe adults who use small quantities of marijuana for personal use should be treated as criminals."

Some Washington police officials see it differently.

Burien Police Chief Scott Kimerer says he fears, if passed, this could open the door to further legalization and he says he doesn't want to make the drug more attractive than it may already be.

He goes on to says; "People might have a tendency to say well it's not going to be a criminal offense. It's not going to affect my job... It's not going to affect anything else involving what a criminal matter would and so why don't I try it... And I don't want to do that."

The Senate hearing starts Tuesday morning at 10am in Senate Hearing Room 1 of the J.A. Cherberg Building at the State Capitol.

So they are thinking that not wearing your seat-belt is bigger deal than possessing a controlled substance? Not that I have a problem with pot smokers, but I am not sure I agree with that one.

#486608 - 02/10/09 02:34 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Vic]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
No issues with legalizing it entirely.

MJ laws go way back and were instituted in a racially motivated way. Pretty scary when you actually read up on it. Control it, tax it, heck sell it in liquor stores. Seriously, more damage is done by alcohol than pot every year.

In my limited experience in law enforcement, I never ran into any death, accident, fight, etc, that was MJ related. Alcohol was a completly different issue altogether.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#486610 - 02/10/09 02:46 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Okay, other than a slap fight....

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#486611 - 02/10/09 02:47 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Dogfish]
Satan Offline
I love me

Loc: Around the way
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

MJ laws go way back and were instituted in a racially motivated way.

Let's leave M J out of this one.

#486642 - 02/10/09 07:20 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Dogfish]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Control it, tax it, heck sell it in liquor stores. Seriously, more damage is done by alcohol than pot every year.

+1

#486650 - 02/10/09 09:09 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: fish4brains]
litlcleo Offline
shiny thingy

Loc: hood canal
Quit smoking weed when Fairbanks caught me out on the Hoh.One day in jail and 700 dollars later I was done saying I am sorry.

With the population ballooning out of control, there
are bound to be more and more fishermen clogging up our rivers. All of
these fishermen have one thing in common: They come to the Olympic
Peninsula seeking solitude.”
Pat Neal

#486652 - 02/10/09 09:41 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: litlcleo]
Vic Offline
Spawner

As I said, I really don't have a problem with pot smokers,,, but I think it is stupid that the fine for a seatbelt violation is more than the proposed fine for possession of a controlled substance. Guess it is all about economics and the states willingness to screw the common person.

#486661 - 02/10/09 10:44 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Vic]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

i like to smoke pot while not wearing my seat belt

#486663 - 02/10/09 11:07 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: dewbie]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
i like to smoke pot while not wearing my seat belt, with a open cold one and talking on my cell.

#486664 - 02/10/09 11:08 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: chasbo]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: chasbo
i like to smoke pot while not wearing my seat belt, with a open cold one and talking on my cell.

now your talkin!!

#486667 - 02/10/09 11:43 AM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: chasbo]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA

Don't forget the hummer yer gettin' at the same time...you'll have to hold the pinner and beer in the same hand, not a problem.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#486674 - 02/10/09 12:25 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: ]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: AuntyM

And unless pot smokers LIVE with you, they pose no danger to YOUR refrigerator.

or if you are friends with them and they want to eat your cheese its

#486676 - 02/10/09 12:43 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Todd]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: Todd

Don't forget the hummer yer gettin' at the same time...you'll have to hold the pinner and beer in the same hand, not a problem.

Fish on...

Todd

Road head...more dangerous than all intox's combine...those were the days lol

- Albert Einstein.

#486685 - 02/10/09 01:08 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Sol Duc]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Not wearing your seat belt is far more dangerous than smoking pot, unless you're talking about smoking pot while driving. A lot of people have a bad case of mind f^vk about pot. No one ever died from smoking pot, but they can do serious jail time for it. People die every day from using tobacco and alcohol, and it's perfectly legal. Talk about a screwed up legal system.

Burien Police Chief Scott Kimerer is a perfect example of a f^vked up mind when it comes to pot, or maybe pot enforcement is a big part of his police budget and he cares more about the $ than he does about serving society.

Want to make 50% of all drug problems go away? Legalize pot. Legalize it completely. Don't tax it. Don't regulate it. Prices will decline. Use will go up somewhat. And the economy will benefit from the run on dry Cheerios, Fritos, and now Cheez its.

Sg

#486689 - 02/10/09 01:16 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Salmo g.]
Vic Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Not wearing your seat belt is far more dangerous than smoking pot, unless you're talking about smoking pot while driving. A lot of people have a bad case of mind f^vk about pot. No one ever died from smoking pot, but they can do serious jail time for it. People die every day from using tobacco and alcohol, and it's perfectly legal. Talk about a screwed up legal system.

Sg

So,,, pot doesn't cause or contribute to lung cancer the same as tobacco?

I have no problem with them making this a non jailable offense. I think the fine should be a lot more than a seatbelt ticket.

#486691 - 02/10/09 01:19 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Vic]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

i am really craving some cheese its right now. i was told weed doesnt contain carcinogenics. of course that came from my grower, so who knows...

#486692 - 02/10/09 01:19 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Vic]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Most pot smokers don't inhale nearly so much smoke at tobacco smokers, and as far as studied pot doesn't cause lung cancer; no nicotine either.

Why should pot use be fined at all, let alone more than not using a selt belt? Altho personally I don't believe in the seat belt fine either. I believe in seat belts, but not the law fining people for non use.

Sg

#486694 - 02/10/09 01:23 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Salmo g.]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Legalize pot? I don't think so, can you imagine what this country would look like after being ravaged by millions of hunger crazed food addicts?

#486696 - 02/10/09 01:28 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Illahee]
dewbie Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: freespool
Legalize pot? I don't think so, can you imagine what this country would look like after being ravaged by millions of hunger crazed food addicts?

not everyone gets the munchies, especially if they have been smoking for a while....the world would be a much happier place i think.

#486698 - 02/10/09 01:39 PM Re: Let me see if I got this rght [Re: Salmo g.]
Vic Offline
Spawner

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are several of the same carsinogenic chemicals in pot smoke that there are in tobacco smoke. Not to mention several that aren't in tobacco. I know poeple who smoke pot several times a day. I don't see how tobacco could be more evil than pot to a person like that.

Salmo, fundamentaly I agree with you. I am against any law (with in reason) that limits my freedom. I think the part that really chapps my hide is all the effort this state puts into the whole "click it or ticket" fundraisers. As I said before the pot thing really doesn't bother me that much. But sending officers out to look in my car to see that I am strapped in, is in my opinion an invasion of my privacy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (FleaFlickr02, Excitable Bob), 1086 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |