LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#494365 - 03/10/09 12:19 AM Fluro for a swinging fly?
dbl spey Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle, wa
Been switching up between fluro and mono for swinging fly. Frankly I dont hook enough fish to notice any pattern... What do the fly guys think, does fluro help (other than losing gear)?

#494366 - 03/10/09 12:20 AM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: dbl spey]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
i dont like flouro..

#494379 - 03/10/09 01:03 AM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: D3Smartie]
dbl spey Offline
Juvenille at Sea

My thoughts are we use to use that red Maxima line, if fish hit that what would they care about a hint of green on some P-line 12lb. On the other hand, anything I can do to keep from spooking a fish I'm all for. Any other thoughts out there?

#494389 - 03/10/09 01:26 AM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: dbl spey]
floatinghat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Seattle

The have heard flouro doesn't break down over a reasonable time (say a season) as non flouro does. That said, I stick with 15 or 17 straight UG in the winter, maybe dropping to 12lb in the lowest of waters. I don't believe steelhead are leader shy.

#494821 - 03/11/09 05:57 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: floatinghat]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
I'll use fluorocarbon in the summer, H2O Yo-Zuri. I used to be an old Maxima Ultragreen veteran but if a stealth leader is not needed my favorite material has been Pline CXX moss green last couple years. It has the stiffness you are looking for in a leader material and is tougher than nails. If you like Maxima Ultragreen try Pline CXX, it handles like Maxima Ultragreen but on steroids. One of the best lines tested for breaking strength.

#494826 - 03/11/09 06:19 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: dbl spey]
Pisco Sicko Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Twisp WA
For swinging I don't bother with fluoro, especially on the wetside. Water clarity isn't all that great and it seems like the bite is a reaction thing, not finesse.

On the eastside summerruns, the water is usually clear, the fish are quickly educated and by late fall moving in to winter slow water presentations. So, for nymphing I'll frequently use fluoro.

#495172 - 03/12/09 08:24 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: Pisco Sicko]
dbl spey Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for the input guys. I'll roll with the 10lb CXX (breaks at ~20lb) and call it cool.

#495221 - 03/12/09 11:14 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: dbl spey]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

DS,

Another vote against flouro. Maxima has been my standard for over 30 years. I fished with Bob Tuesday and mentioned that I've yet to break off any steelhead anywhere except the Thompson on 8# Maxima. This was in the context of my only fish of the day hitting while I was using some flouro given me by a friend, 17# no less. My fault for using it at all, but I wanted to give it a test. But I noticed that when I hung bottom, it seemed to break easier than the Maxima I typically use. Well, same thing happened on the second jump the steelhead made. It didn't handle the sudden jerk well at all. I'm tossing all the flouro I have laying around before we head to the Bahamas on the 20th. I think I'll take my chances with 8# nylon mono.

Sg

#495301 - 03/13/09 12:40 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: Salmo g.]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
DS,

Another vote against flouro. Maxima has been my standard for over 30 years. I fished with Bob Tuesday and mentioned that I've yet to break off any steelhead anywhere except the Thompson on 8# Maxima. This was in the context of my only fish of the day hitting while I was using some flouro given me by a friend, 17# no less. My fault for using it at all, but I wanted to give it a test. But I noticed that when I hung bottom, it seemed to break easier than the Maxima I typically use. Well, same thing happened on the second jump the steelhead made. It didn't handle the sudden jerk well at all. I'm tossing all the flouro I have laying around before we head to the Bahamas on the 20th. I think I'll take my chances with 8# nylon mono.

I heard about that SG - that sucks. frown Oh well, better to have hooked and lost then not hooked at all - I say.

#495420 - 03/13/09 09:00 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: The Moderator]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Maxima Chameleon.....

25-12...enough said.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#495521 - 03/14/09 03:15 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: Magicfly]
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Another ex Maxima UG user here. I used it ever since it hit the market but newer lines have came along and replaced it for me. The thing that I really liked about UG was its stretch and shock resistance. For a direct replacement P-line CCX is very good as well as Trilene Big Game. I do use a lot of fluorocarbon in clear water, but the only brand that I like is Seaguar. I've probably tried every fluoro on the market, but either they have little or no shock resistance or the knots will slip due to its slipperyness.

#495537 - 03/14/09 06:58 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: wolverine]
dbl spey Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Ouch SG, that is a hard way to learn that lesson. I'll take it to heart and pull it from my gear.

So other than costing more, breaking easier and needing to be babied when tying knots its some amazing stuff...

#495593 - 03/15/09 02:59 AM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: dbl spey]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
It might sound weird, but Berkley's Vanish is a great fluoro. Seems to lack the "break when shock loaded" tendencies of quite a few of the other fluoro's.

Don't knock it until you've tried it smile

PS - It's cheap as well.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#495755 - 03/16/09 03:38 AM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

You still owe me a response on my dolly lama question and my guide spacing question. You must have thought I forgot, or that I didn't care. Well your wrong buddy. I am waiting...

Still...

Waiting...

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#495817 - 03/16/09 02:07 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: ]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Hardest hit ive ever had on a fly came on a flouro leader, snapped like a twig and Ill never even "experiment" again. 12-15lb UG for me in the spring

#495860 - 03/16/09 04:12 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: summerrun]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

You tha man KK. I will spend the next few days figuring out what you said and let you know how it goes smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#497500 - 03/23/09 11:43 PM Re: Fluro for a swinging fly? [Re: ]
BCB Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LynnHood
Flouro Sucks.... Period. Steel aint line shy so why use it? I've towed drift boats with 10 lb maxima! smile

"I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!"
Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |