Rate This Topic
#50060 - 12/26/00 01:16 AM shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to buy a shimano 201 SG in excellent shape or new in box

#50061 - 01/09/01 10:33 AM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Wouldn't we all! Good luck.....you'll need it.

#50062 - 01/09/01 02:58 PM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
What are they worth. I have one thats in pretty darn good shape.

Bob D

#50063 - 01/09/01 06:12 PM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
steelyhorn hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: eastside
My best guess would be if it is "darn good shape" it would run $100-150. If it was in excellent shape it would run from $125-200. It all depends on how bad someone wants it. I've collected the 100,200,300,and 400's for quite afew years now so I'm not as willng to pay as much as someone that REALLY wants one.. Simply put, I think they're still one of the best reels ever built..

#50064 - 01/09/01 09:02 PM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
There is a guy that goes by "fish4wildcoho" or something like that that scoops up every one of the 201 SG's on EBAY. In just the last 2 months he's bought at least a half dozen. He pays whatever it takes to win the auction. He will pay anywhere from $125 dollars to $225. For two months it seemed like he bought $1300 worth of reels. But he says in his bio that he's not a collector.HA!(must be nice to have that kind of spare change). The moral of the story is that there are a lot of guys with a lot of money seeking out these reels and since you can't buy them anymore people will pay anything for them.

#50065 - 01/09/01 10:51 PM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I got a 201 sg of ebay sunday for $125. No picture but the description mentioned it to be in excellent shape.

I guess well see when it arrives.
I CANT WAIT!!

------------------
Ryan S. Petzold
aka
Sparkey and/or Special

#50066 - 01/11/01 09:15 PM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
Migrating_Smolt Offline
Parr

Loc: Yelm, WA, USA
I just won a 251 SG off ebay for $80. It's in excellent condition. I also cannot wait to "play".

-Stephen

btw, Monty, I won the reel from fish4wildcoho, and I am meeting him tomorrow to pick up the reel.

[This message has been edited by Rookie (edited 01-11-2001).]

#50067 - 01/14/01 12:43 AM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
Migrating_Smolt Offline
Parr

Loc: Yelm, WA, USA
Got my 251SG yesterday and took it for a few hours today. I like how smooth it casts. Same guy offered an "like new" 201SG for way too much ($225) Shimano 201SG
It does look nice though. Maybe next time.

-Stephen

#50068 - 01/22/01 02:12 AM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a 201SG and sold it. I feel they are overrated and besides that you cannot get them serviced because Shimano does not produce spare parts for discontinued reel series like the old Bantams. When you open one up there is a lot of plastic inside and the sideplate is plastic. I like the old Ambassadeurs because you can still get parts for them and they are all metal. Remember this is just my opinion so don't come unglued.

[This message has been edited by Steelhead Stew (edited 01-21-2001).]

#50069 - 01/22/01 04:25 AM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
fish4wildcoho Offline
Egg

Loc: Des Moines, Washington USA
Let me introduce myself. My alias on Ebay is fish4wildcoho. My 201's have been acquired honestly in the open venue we all call Ebay. I have bought reels and sold reels on Ebay. I have bid on items for friends who did not have access to a computer with internet access and they set the maximum price that they were willing to pay. Personally, all but maybe one of the 201's I have purchased will go into use this year in the pursuit of Salmon and Steelhead in rivers, and in the open saltwater. These reels will be used and enjoyed as per the original intent and design of these reels. To catch fish. Yes, these are the finest reels produced for chasing Salmon, Steelhead, Stripers etc.. Many of my friends are also avid anglers and guides locally where I live. They too share the love for the coveted 201SG. Ebay is a wonderful venue where we can compete and actually obtain items that are no longer produced. I have liquidated some of the 201's that I have purchased on Ebay because some of those friends did not pay for the items that they had asked me to bid on. I indeed was not very happy. However, the lucky anglers who actually had purchased those miscellaneous extra 201's paid me only what I had paid for them. No profit was made, and they are currently enjoying the spoils of owning one of the if not the finest Steelhead, Salmon, Striper reels ever made! Best wishes to those lucky anglers and many happy and enjoyable years of service from those 201 SG's do I wish for my fellow anglers who helped me recoupe some of my personal funds in an effort to help my friends. Other reels of mine, owned before the Ebay experience, were also auctioned off by yours truly so that I could keep a couple of 201's for myself. Those lucky anglers have received reels from my personal collection that were in excellent to superior condition, since I do not abuse my equipment. May those fortunate Ebayers who bought my reels will enjoy them for many years to come! Afterall, I am probably at the end of my 201 SG shopping spree for awhile. I personally wanted only a couple and that was it. Oh, well, never mix friendship and money! It always seems to put a nasty kink into a perfectly wonderful friendship. Best wishes to all of the other fellow anglers on Ebay. I will be liquidating some of my older Ambassadeurs and Shimano BMP 251 SG's to make room for other reels and rods in my fishing war chest! Tight lines to all of you! Open up your wallets and good luck on the bidding on Ebay. If you have not noticed, I have not bid on any more 201's for over a month or so. Have at it and good luck. Don't price each other out of the market. Afterall, the 201's are no longer made, and supplies of nice, clean ones are hard to come by. Alternative sources have supplied me with a couple clean, beautiful specimens of America's finest freshwater gamefish reel in history! The highly sought after and coveted Shimano 201SG.May the 201 SG reign supreme in it's performance and legendary reputation for many years to come! May everyone be so fortunate as to own a couple during their lifetime!

#50070 - 01/23/01 01:15 AM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Well I got my 201 SG in the mail today. Absolutely MINT!!!! Anyone got $500 they do not mind parting with???

------------------
Ryan S. Petzold
aka
Sparkey and/or Special

#50071 - 01/23/01 02:14 AM Re: shimano 201 SG, SS,or chrome
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
fish4wildcoho,
Nice response, I feel bad about singling you out in my post. Sorry! I agree you aquire these reels fair and squarely. Having a degree in Economics, I have to admit Ebay is about as close to a perfect market as you can get. Every item meets supply with demand and every item has its true value defined. The fact that you were buying them for friends proves that it really isn't any of my business how many reels you buy and how much you pay.(Sorry to hear you got stiffed) By the way nice site you have dedicated to your reels. You have great taste in equipment!

Monty

[This message has been edited by Monty (edited 01-23-2001).]

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1185 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645399 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |