Three Rivers Marine

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#591627 - 03/31/10 02:23 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. *** [Re: Todd]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds, WA
Doesn't mean that vigilantly defending the 2nd amendment is useless.

Would you agree that gun control is on the short list of the current administration or are you touting it as a ridiculous notion altogether?

By the time they are actually grabbed it is too late.

Edited by Marz (03/31/10 02:24 PM)

#591630 - 03/31/10 02:27 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Todd]
ISO Chrome
Unregistered

Todd,

Interested to get your input on this... (concept of this was on Dave Ross's show today)..

Should a legally qualified medical marijuana patient, who is a business owner, taxpayer and upstanding citizen in every respect, be denied their right to own a firearm because they use what the Federal Gov't considers as an "illegal drug"?

Should the same apply to anyone using something really dangerous like Oxycontin (when taken by prescription)? Oxy is, no question, a far more dangerous substance...yet, I can take 2 and go buy a handgun...but...be an MMJ patient and you are denied your rights?

Not arguing...just honestly looking for your input as this is a "close to home" issue.

ISO

Edited by ISO Chrome (03/31/10 02:28 PM)

#591638 - 03/31/10 03:22 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Mike, yeah, they're a felon, felon's can't carry guns.

Do I think it's right that medical marijuana users...or any marijuana users, for that matter...are considered felons? No.

Marz, just keep poppin' the fear pills...you'll find plenty of compatriots.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#591642 - 03/31/10 03:58 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Todd]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

So your saying that the potential for increased gun control is a myth?

Or are you just saying that expressing concern for it is a ridiculous pointless act?

I actually dont know why I even re-ask these questions since you avoided the first with a Bill Maher-esque attempt at the funny.

#591646 - 03/31/10 04:32 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Marz]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

The potential for almost anything in the whole world is possible...
Originally Posted By: Marz

Of course it's not useless...but defending against something that's not even there is fuckin ridiculous...but it does keep the NRA coffers hopping, so spend away..."defense" of something assumes that there is some "offense" out there...and there's clearly not, just your own fear.

Would you agree that gun control is on the short list of the current administration or are you touting it as a ridiculous notion altogether?

Not in the least...they've had over a year to grab your guns by now...and they haven't, nor will they.

If I were you, I'd consider buying 10K rounds, and getting in your coat closet...after all, they could be coming today.

Fish on...

Todd

#591651 - 03/31/10 05:34 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Todd]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Todd
The potential for almost anything in the whole world is possible...

Of course it's not useless...but defending against something that's not even there is fuckin ridiculous...but it does keep the NRA coffers hopping, so spend away..."defense" of something assumes that there is some "offense" out there...and there's clearly not, just your own fear.

Not in the least...they've had over a year to grab your guns by now...and they haven't, nor will they.

If I were you, I'd consider buying 10K rounds, and getting in your coat closet...after all, they could be coming today.

Fish on...

Todd

First, there is no need to paint me as a paranoid tin foil hat wearing wing nut, as your glib attitude projects. I got nothing against you, I am just challenging your unearthing a dead thread to give yourself a gold star of self assurance.

The fact that gun sales went through the roof and the O-man's approval ratings took a hit could very well be a reason for him pushing back from the gun control table.

I agree, no one is going to come grab our guns, they may tax the hell out of em, limit legal firearms to that of a single bolt action .22, maybe they will make high-cap mags and vertical forward grips illegal... but not even Washington Cease Fire will take your guns, they may make you a criminal for owning them, but they wont take em.

I am not hitting the panic button but I am also not pretending it doesn't exist. I dont throw money at the NRA to make the boogie man go away, I just challenge those that seem intent on pussifing the US and those that seem complacent with letting it happen.

Edited by Marz (03/31/10 05:36 PM)

#591653 - 03/31/10 05:38 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Marz]
Piper
Unregistered

I just keep an eye on those that seem intent on pussifing the US and challenge those that seem complacent with letting it happen.

That is signature worthy right there... thumbs

#591679 - 03/31/10 08:49 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Todd]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: Todd
Mike, yeah, they're a felon, felon's can't carry guns.

Do I think it's right that medical marijuana users...or any marijuana users, for that matter...are considered felons? No.

Marz, just keep poppin' the fear pills...you'll find plenty of compatriots.

Fish on...

Todd

Simple possession isn't a felony and therefore isn't a disqualifying event. It's the questions posed on the federal form 4473 that can get an MMJ patient in trouble.

Question 11 a. on form 4473...."Are you you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#591723 - 03/31/10 11:23 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: RowVsWade]
ISO Chrome
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
Question 11 a. on form 4473...."Are you you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

Which most all MMJ patients could truthfully answer with a firm "NO". If
they were to add "Based on Federal Law" to the start of that question
then that would sticky things up a bit.

ISO

#592013 - 04/01/10 09:28 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

We floated a river today, caught some fish...even had a handgun on board...it wasn't grabbed.

Further updates as the weekend progresses...

Fish on...

Todd

#592108 - 04/02/10 11:39 AM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
You know, I have a pretty good history of starting 5 star threads. Why is this only a 1 star thread? 34 freaking pages people. Who else brings this much entertainment to you?

You people are beginning to dissapoint me.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#592128 - 04/02/10 12:10 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: ]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Are you double jointed or missing a rib or two?

I don't know how you do that all day.

Seriously though, its just nice being out here....

#592170 - 04/02/10 01:19 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Marz]
ISO Chrome
Unregistered

Seems I'm not the only one pondering the question of firearm ownership:

Kirkland shoot-out aftermath proves medical marijuana dilemma requires legislative fix - Dave Workman

The case of Kirkland medical marijuana activist Steve Sarich suggests that there may be something fundamentally wrong with federal firearm statutes that penalize people who have not been found guilty of a crime or adjudicated to be mentally incompetent.

Instead, they are simply “disqualified” from possessing firearms, as noted in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer's on-line edition, even if it might mean – as it could in Sarich’s case – that they are rendered unable to defend themselves from home invasion robbers who might kill them. This much has already been established in the Sarich case, because he traded shots with one of four thugs who broken into his home March 15. Sarich critically wounded one of the perpetrators, and another of the group slightly wounded him with a round from the stolen shotgun he was carrying.

Sarich, 59, said he tried to buy a shotgun and a pistol a few days after the March 15 shootout to replace ones seized by investigators. He said he has no criminal record but failed the background check because of federal laws prohibiting "unlawful users" of controlled substances from buying or otherwise receiving guns. Marijuana is illegal under federal law.

The March 15 gunfight was the second case involving Sarich and King County. An earlier case from January also figures into this situation, because at that time, Sarich disclosed to investigators that he has a medical marijuana certificate after one of the deputies smelled pot.

In the aftermath of the March 15 shooting, which I wrote about here, Sarich’s two .22-caliber pistols and a pair of other firearms in the Kirkland residence were taken as evidence by King County Sheriff’s detectives, which is standard procedure. Sarich, realizing his vulnerability, subsequently tried to purchase a shotgun and handgun, but because he is a medical marijuana user – legal under this state’s statutes – he is “disqualified” from even possessing, much less buying, a firearm by federal statute.

King County sent a copy of its report on the Sarich incident to the National Instant Check System, operated by the FBI, which promptly denied the gun purchase. Federal law has no exemption for medical marijuana users. The law classifies marijuana in the same realm as heroin, period.

Sarich runs CannaCare, an organization that claims 7,000 members in the state. It helps patients with legal advice, runs clinics where patients can meet with doctors who authorize marijuana use, provides patients with marijuana clones or starter plants and delivers about 50 patients a week with usable marijuana, he said.

This column takes no position on the use of medical marijuana. This case presents a tidal wave of irony because the only recourse for Sarich and people like him to not be legally stripped of their gun rights is to get the law changed. To accomplish that, medical marijuana users in this state will have to approach lawmakers who are no friends of gun rights.

At the federal level, that would be Senators Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell, and Representatives Jay Inslee, Jim McDermott and Rick Larsen, all Democrats. Their party currently controls Congress and the White House. But ask any of them if they would push for a change in the federal marijuana statute so people like Sarich could legally possess a gun for self-defense, and chances of a warm reception fall somewhere between zero and zilch.

Seattle’s FBI spokesman Fred Gutt put this in the proper perspective. Federal statute has no exemption for medical marijuana users. Under federal law, medical marijuana use is no different than smoking pot just to get stoned, or shooting heroin to get high. It is the “illegal use of a controlled substance” in the eyes of the federal law. That’s why Sarich got flagged in the NICS check, and denied his gun purchase. His dilemma is getting mixed reviews from Seattle Times readers, who are very divided on the issue.

State Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D-Seattle), who recently insisted that it is time medical marijuana patients get “complete protection” from prosecution, is one of Olympia’s most ardent gun prohibitionists. Kohl-Welles might be horrified if Sarich asked her to help him fix the law so he could arm himself for defense against another home invasion robbery. “Complete protection” in her mind might not be so “complete” after all.

It is time to provide qualified medical-marijuana patients complete protection under the law and to directly regulate the production and dispensing of cannabis. Patients should not have to fear arrest, home searches or property seizures by law-enforcement officers. Providers who want to help patients access medical marijuana should not have to risk prosecution and robbery.—State Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles

In the middle of this quagmire fall the law enforcement agencies. Sarich is angry at the King County Sheriff’s Office for sharing information on his case with the NICS system. However, King County and the FBI are stuck with having to enforce gun laws that are supported by – you guessed it – the same people to whom Sarich would have to take his cause. Sheriffs and FBI agents didn’t pass those laws, politicians did.

Besides, as sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. John Urquhart noted, Sarich “has been quite open with the press… as to his status as a medical marijuana patient.” Being high profile can put you on more than one radar screen, as it were, and FBI agents are certainly capable of reading.

If there is to be any relief for Sarich and others like him, it probably would be through the legislative process. If a person legitimately uses medical marijuana to address a medical problem, the argument goes, there should be no way his or her gun rights can be stripped. One should not sacrifice a civil right or their personal safety for using a controversial remedy that is legal in more than a dozen states.

#592189 - 04/02/10 02:06 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

He needs to go to a gunshow and buy one there, or through a private party sale.

#592192 - 04/02/10 02:13 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Dogfish]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
You know, I have a pretty good history of starting 5 star threads. Why is this only a 1 star thread? 34 freaking pages people. Who else brings this much entertainment to you?

Pretty impressive Andy. I was so enthralled with your 5-star clucker architecture thread that I completely missed that you've also significantly resolved the 2nd Article of Amendment matter too. Must have been because this one is only 1 star....

wink

#592201 - 04/02/10 02:37 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Okay, some of you can stay.

#592226 - 04/02/10 04:07 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Dogfish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Very interesting post by ISO. Poor Sarich now has to buy his guns the same way criminals do. Oh, that's right, he is a criminal under federal law. F'n drug laws proves we as a nation are stupid.

Sg

#592278 - 04/02/10 06:56 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: ]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Let see. 3 stars for Dogfish after 36 pages.

5 stars after 6 posts on the Hank Johnson Guam thread. Andy, maybe you need to add some babes in bikinis preventing imminent capsize of the mainland for those final 2 stars.... wink

#592360 - 04/02/10 11:30 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: Driftin']
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
'Andy, maybe you need to add so me babes in bikinis"

Steller advice. Adding bikini babeage is never wrong on this side plus it gives us old guys a kick in the cabeza de' melon and makes us actually think.

#592713 - 04/04/10 08:31 PM Re: Picture = 1,000 words. [Re: ]
Equinox Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The "Rock"
I believe all treaties must be voted on by the Congress but
> I may be
> wrong.
> I don't trust this administration.
>
> Subject: Obama Finds Legal Way Around The 2nd Amendment
>
>
> Obama Finds Legal Way Around The 2nd Amendment And Uses
> It. If This
> Passes,
> There Will Be WAR. pass it far & wide.
>
>
>
> On Wednesday Obama Took the First Major Step in a Plan to
> Ban All
> Firearms
> in the United States. On Wednesday the Obama administration
> took its
> first
> major step in a plan to ban all firearms in the United
> States. The
> Obama
> administration intends to force gun control and a complete
> ban on all
> weapons for US citizens through the signing of
> international treaties
> with
> foreign nations. By signing international treaties on gun
> control,
> the Obama
> administration can use the US State Department to
> bypass the normal
> legislative process in Congress. Once the US
> Government signs these
> international treaties, all US citizens will be subject to
> those gun
> laws
> created by foreign governments. These are laws that have
> been
> developed and
> promoted by organizations such as the United Nations and
> individuals
> such as
> George Soros and Michael Bloomberg. The laws are
> designed and
> intended to
> lead to the complete ban and confiscation of all firearms.
>
>
>
> The Obama administration is attempting to use tactics and
> methods of
> gun
> control that will inflict major damage to our 2nd Amendment
> before US
> citizens even understand what has happened. Obama can
> appear before
> the
> public and tell them that he does not intend to pursue any
> legislation (in
> the United States) that will lead to new gun control laws,
> while
> cloaked in
> secrecy, his Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton is
> committing the US
> to
> international treaties and foreign gun control laws. Does
> that mean
> Obama is
> telling the truth? What it means is that there will be no
> publicized
> gun
> control debates in the media or votes in Congress. We will
> wake up one
> morning and find that the United States has signed a treaty
> that
> prohibits
> firearm and ammunition manufacturers from selling to the
> public. We
> will
> wake up another morning and find that the US has signed a
> treaty that
> prohibits any transfer of firearm ownership. And then, we
> will wake
> up yet
> another morning and find that the US has signed a treaty
> that
> requires US
> citizens to deliver any firearm they own to the local
> government
> collection
> and destruction center or face imprisonment.
>
>
>
> This is not a joke nor a false warning. As sure as
> government health
> care
> will be forced on us by the Obama administration through
> whatever
> means
> necessary, so will gun control. Read the
> Article -- U.S. reverses
> stance
> on treaty to regulate arms trade.
>
>
>
> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States reversed policy on
> Wednesday
> and
> said it would back launching talks on a treaty to regulate
> arms sales
> as
> long as the talks operated by consensus, a stance critics
> said gave
> every
> nation a veto. The decision, announced in a statement
> released by
> the U.S.
> State Department, overturns the position of former
> President George
> W.
> Bush's administration, which had opposed such a treaty on
> the grounds
> that
> national controls were better. View The Full Article Here
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE59E0Q920091015
>
>
>
> Please forward this message to others who may be concerned
> about the
> direction in which our country is headed. This is a
> very serious
> matter!
>
> Silence will lead us to Socialism!!!
>
> Confidence is locking the door, and then not trying the
> knob to be
> sure.
>
> Have we been 'had' or what???
>

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 385 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |