THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#529548 - 08/17/09 04:11 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: Todd]
Rossiman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe, WA
Easy choice....
Chum eggs, as we have a abundance of them down in my neck of the woods.

#529559 - 08/17/09 04:40 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: Rossiman]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

I wonder if the chinooks bite other species eggs out of some ancient territorial instinct. Kill the competition by chowing their eggs down or smashing them in their beaks. I fish lots of chinook eggs on chinook and do well so maybe this idea they kill other species eggs is not what they are really trying to do. I know they are hungry cause with my cures they try to eat them deep most of the time if not every time.

#529568 - 08/17/09 05:49 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: salmon bake]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: salmon bake
I wonder if the chinooks bite other species eggs out of some ancient territorial instinct. Kill the competition by chowing their eggs down or smashing them in their beaks. I fish lots of chinook eggs on chinook and do well so maybe this idea they kill other species eggs is not what they are really trying to do. I know they are hungry cause with my cures they try to eat them deep most of the time if not every time.

Although a good theory, I don't see it that way. Too many coincidences with in stream eggs doing well on their own fish. I've found that at certain parts of a female salmons lifecycle they begin to rapidly expel their own fat content into the eggs and the higher that content in that particular species the better they produce when being fished. In other words, the more mature the egg you can get that still has that milky look prior to curing and without that glossy look the better they produce.... There's a fine line to that time period of retaining them....

Keith grin

#529585 - 08/17/09 07:06 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: stlhdr1]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

Fish are a trip man, that they chow their own young, and I totally have seen what u are saying about maturity and the opaque appearance vs. Shiny look. That being said humpie eggs should fish pretty well, even though they aren't the biggest berries around which I know some peeps like em large. What's up with your cure and where can I buy it from? You mail it out?

#529602 - 08/17/09 08:05 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: salmon bake]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Fish are a trip man, that they chow their own young, and I totally have seen what u are saying about maturity and the opaque appearance vs. Shiny look. That being said humpie eggs should fish pretty well, even though they aren't the biggest berries around which I know some peeps like em large. What's up with your cure and where can I buy it from? You mail it out?

Yeah, I'll pm you a cost sheet....

Keith

#529640 - 08/17/09 10:02 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: stlhdr1]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
UEC sucks.

Too bad I had to waste all those king eggs that are currently curing up in UEC - was the only cure I had. A Fat Female Ditch Pickle probably wouldn't touch those eggs now, let alone any self-righteous chinookie or steelhead.

Oh well, I will just have to make them work with my awesomeness.

laugh

#529680 - 08/17/09 11:45 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: The Moderator]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

I personally can't wait to burn up some eggs in the ultimate sauce. Can't suck too bad as I have seen finicky clackamas river springers choke on it so deep they were bleeding out of their bunghole when dudes from battle scrounge WA came down one evening. If springers want to eat it I will roll it along with all me other super sauces. Anytime someone disses a cure makes me think it actually works so good that Peeps are trying to keep it on the down-low status. Parker must be gettin skunked a lot these days which is too bad cause salmon are stacking like cordwood all over the darn place.

#530044 - 08/19/09 12:04 AM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: salmon bake]
Rod Builder Offline
Parr

Loc: Anchorage Ak
My favorite's, in order are Coho, Chum, king.

I do agree though, it's more about putting decent eggs in front of fish than having superior eggs in a desert. I'm lucky enough to live in a target rich enviroment so even C or D grade eggs work when I'm running low.

#530159 - 08/19/09 11:57 AM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: salmon bake]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Parker must be gettin skunked a lot these days which is too bad cause salmon are stacking like cordwood all over the darn place.

Yeah, that must be it.

Stlhdr1 - your cure sucks! I keep getting skunked when using it! Only a fool would use UEC.

But I'm glad baked salmon is here to show me how it's done!

Well baked? As Big Stick would have said, let's see some results of your awesomeness.

#530267 - 08/19/09 05:54 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: The Moderator]
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
My absolute favorite eggs are ..... Sockeye, with Chinook being Second.

Parker, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you some cure. Just don't tell Keith

#530268 - 08/19/09 06:01 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: Fishbait]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Email sent.

I probably had access to about a 100 skeins of sockeye eggs while up on the Kenai in July. Watched them all go in the river to feed the 'bows. frown

Maybe next time I'm up there I'll figure out a way to get them in some cure and shipped back down home.

#530349 - 08/19/09 11:11 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: Fishbait]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

That is pretty lame of me to not throw down some chrome pics, I need to get my act together and figure out how to upload pics. Pretty much chump status till I do, b.s. Only goes so far round these parts. Thanks for calling me out parker, but feeding your sockeye eggs to the trout is great news cause I will have that flavor and you won't!! evil

#530366 - 08/19/09 11:42 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: salmon bake]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

In hindsight, that probably wasn't the smartest thing I've done lately....

doh

Oh well, that just gives me an excuse to go get some more next year! thumbs

#530394 - 08/20/09 12:51 AM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: The Moderator]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

Out for a stroll the other day on a low tide humperooni bite(wasn't fishin) the beach mob was hooking piles of slimers as fast as I have seen yet this year, and the peeps were guttin hens left and right so I asked a few what they were doing with the eggs they said throw them to the sculpins. So in true bottom feeder egg junkie fashion I got lucky and they gave me a pile of eggos. Burning em up now, good egg haul for just walking my not so vicious mutts. Pays to ask nicely, if u do what I did beware walking up to a murders row of kids whizzing buzz bombers, make sure to approach from the side, and not from BEHIND cause you might be wearing thirty bright pink lures in your precious meat suit.

#530724 - 08/21/09 01:42 AM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: salmon bake]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

Holy hot fishing and egg haul season! Not getting nooks right now in CR but coho so thick you could do a two step across the estuary. COHO eggs it is for me. Have a fat sack of em cured up after this weekend. Now need some where to fish em up round puget sound soon. Green river, nisqually tidewater time yet!?! Coho eggs win my vote of best egg to cure, maybe cause we got a bunch of em!

#531315 - 08/24/09 05:29 PM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: The Moderator]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: parker

Maybe next time I'm up there I'll figure out a way to get them in some cure and shipped back down home.

1. Bring cure.
2. Bring lots of bags.
3. Bring more bags to put around your bag of eggs.
4. Put in your checked luggage.

Easier than catching a 30 on a bug rod for most.

#531439 - 08/25/09 01:13 AM Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

Loc: Silverdale WA
fedex em

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Thumbburner), 1176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |