Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#534029 - 09/02/09 11:23 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
Bunker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: River that your fishing!
All fish caught in the puke are flossed! But keep telling yourself otherwise. Whatever makes you feel justified.

#534032 - 09/02/09 11:43 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Bunker]
fishnbear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: A coastal river with fish
Hey jig -n-bob I hooked and landed 25 fish today 9 of them silvers on bobber and eggs is that conciderd flossing????? WOW some people

#534037 - 09/03/09 12:05 AM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: fishnbear]
tailout terror
Unregistered

Interesting...... 16 pinks munched your eggs under a float on the Puy! I guess I was wrong all along. Those fish "must" be biters!

#534039 - 09/03/09 12:10 AM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
fishnbear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: A coastal river with fish
I was suprised to, cause I was targeting silvers, also they bit on pink eggs go figure, cant figure those little buggers all the pinks caught were males

#534082 - 09/03/09 02:25 AM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I think there is an error in the replies to this post in that the general over-reaction on PP to an obvious flossing fishery (a rightfully sensitive subject) on the Puyallup is condemming a guy that is just asking questions. Geddy is offering he is still learning and doesn't understand terminology let alone coloquialisms.

I think the guy should be given a chance and deserves an explanation before the roasting. If he is a troll BBQ away, but the new guy shouldn't be condemned by the elitists ( I have been called worse) before being proven guilty.

Geddy- you sound like a stand up guy to me that likes to fish and wants to learn more. That is commendable and we all learn as we go. I'd fish with you- once at least. smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#534105 - 09/03/09 07:40 AM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: JTD]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
If you are not flossing the fish in the mouth then you are not doing it right. IMO, the people that think 100% of the fish are snagged are just as smart as those that think none of them are if they are hooked in the mouth.

#534165 - 09/03/09 12:41 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
Geddy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Puyallup, Wa.
I appreciate all the responses! I kinda expected this sort of reaction to this post, it does seem that this board has kind of an elitist element to it...not trying to be a smart alec or insult anyone, but it just seems that way. I'm not a troll, I just live 4 blocks from the puyallup and enjoy fishing for salmon there and thought I'd pass along how good the fishing was.

I do however enjoy this board, I've learned quite a bit and hope to continue to do so.

At the risk of being flamed further (I have thick skin), I don't understand how flossing hooks them in the mouth so often? I honestly did think the fish were biting the hook. Color me confused.

Paddy O' Furniture

Irish Philosopher.

#534168 - 09/03/09 12:50 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Geddy5]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
If you consider people that follow the law as it is written (to protect fish) elitist than consider me one of the elitisis.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#534192 - 09/03/09 01:42 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Jerry Garcia]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
PLACE: Just for fun, Mouth of the Toutle on the Cowlitz, Silvers.

AVERAGE CAST: Thirty yards.

CORKIES: Colorful, mostly reds and oranges

YARN: Colorful, no black

LEADER LENGTH: 6 to 10 ft

Fish hooked in the mouth per regs. I can not see nor can you that the fish bit willingly, but with the bright colors the fish can move away if it wants. I have seen fish in the Quilicene definitly move up to bite a fly, why should a properly presented corky and yarn be any different? Twitching jigs has become popular for Silvers. Do you suppose that when fishing corkies, and the lead hits bottom, it might twitch the corkie and yarn. Also that the longer leaders are needed to get the bait a little higher in the water colume and act right, as well as being above the fish so that they can see them better. You are welcome to join me there anytime and check me out. The wardens have not written me any tickets so I must be doing something right. PS I pinch the barbs and make every fish legal by punching it before resuming fishing.

Thats my opinion and I approve It.

Chuck G

Edited by N W Panhandler (09/03/09 01:48 PM)

#534194 - 09/03/09 01:46 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
So far as flossing goes...it's clearly not legal as per the regs, but is almost impossible to enforce.

The only enforcement is self-enforcement, and most guys who know how to driftfish know if they are flossing or not...it's up to them to decide if they want to fish legally and ethically, or not.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#534196 - 09/03/09 01:51 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Todd]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Where's the Energizer Bunny when you need it.

#534234 - 09/03/09 03:29 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: N W Panhandler]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: N W Panhandler

LEADER LENGTH: 6 to 10 ft

Thats my opinion and I approve It.

Chuck G

Drop that leader down to 24". That leader is plenty long enough for biting fish, especially those in murky waters.

Report back your success rate on a 24" leader.

#534238 - 09/03/09 03:36 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Jerry Garcia]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Like I said JG... I have been called worse. Flossing is wrong, I was only suggesting to give the guy asking questions a chance.

I am done now
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#534346 - 09/03/09 08:44 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
Geddy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Puyallup, Wa.
I will take that challenge! I'll be going out there again Friday morning, so I'll try the 2ft leader and see what happens.

Fishprince, you're right I'm just ignorant of how flossing works - why the hook ends up in thier mouth and not somwhere else. I'll try that when I find a clear running river in a real fishery (assuming I can find one).

I thougt that it was obvious that my 'bragging' about my gear was done in jest, and that even if it were taken the wrong way that my admission that I was still new and still learning the ins and outs would further illustrate the (apparently unsuccessful) attempt at humor. The only assumption that I make is that I'm probably one of the most comfortable people on the river as the Simms waders are more comfortable than any regular pants that I own, much less waders that I've tried. I bought them 4 days ago and am still experiencing and getting used to the 'awesome-ness' of them. Do I really 'need' them for the kind of fishing that I do? Probably not, but when I put them on just for a kick (they were pretty expensive), I couldn't get over how great they felt - they felt custom made for me. So I bought them.

Here is an embarrassing story about why I bought the Simms to begin with: A friend of mine and I went out on opening day and all I had were hip waders. The water was clearly too high for them, so my friend (who has alot of fishing gear) lent me a second pair of chest waders that he had in the his trunk. I said to him once I had donned them, "Dude, I think these are too small for me." To which he replied, "ah, don't worry about it, they're tough. Just give them back to me at the end of the season."

I used them for up until 4 days ago when, as I was bent over unhooking a fish, I heard a 'pop' coming from behind me...the seat of the waders had blown out!

I'll report back after I try the shorter leader.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Geddy5 (09/03/09 08:46 PM)

Paddy O' Furniture

Irish Philosopher.

#534360 - 09/03/09 10:16 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Geddy5]
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
Been Fishing for over 40 years and I always use 36-40" in clear water and 30-36" in dirty water. 24" is probably to short, unless your fishing shallow water. You want your bait/spoon 20-24" off the bottom. With your Lead making contact with bottom every so often, not dragging bottom.

#534375 - 09/03/09 11:16 PM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
tailout terror
Unregistered

He'll still get em but the hookup rate will drop dramatically. Will the others still be flossed? Yepper...... Pink salmon, silver salmon, sockeye salmon, king salmon, and chum DO NOT bite corkies in swift moving, 2" vis. water. Heck, I don't even think they do in steelhead green slow moving pools either but that is a whole different debate..... Bottom line is that you're having fun and your question was a great one... I have no problem with dudes lining up the banks of the Puyallup. I even participate once or twice a year to buck up the eggo supply but I really get annoyed when scent, color, leader, or yarn color become a topic. Folks, it doesn't matter!!!! thumbs

#534393 - 09/04/09 12:23 AM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: fishnbear]
Bunker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: River that your fishing!
Originally Posted By: fishnbear
Hey jig -n-bob I hooked and landed 25 fish today 9 of them silvers on bobber and eggs is that conciderd flossing????? WOW some people

I call BS! Now if you had said you can catch them on bob 'n' eggs in Late oct. or Nov. when the river begans to clear. Then you'd have me sold. WOW some people!

#534403 - 09/04/09 12:41 AM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
Fishguy50 Offline
Fry

Fish Prince, I respect the opinions of many of the knowledgable people on this board, but not yours. You are obviously not at all qualified to judge what flossing is or is not. You praddle on about your elitest opinion of flossing , but you fail to explain how the vast majority of the fish caught in the puyallup are caught in the mouth, rarely in the tail, side, back, or various fins. If these fish were not willing biters, there would be a lot more evidence of fish being snagged in other parts of their bodies. Corky/yarn color make a difference, scent type makes a difference. Your theory is hogwash and the fact you hate the puy, and wont fish it, automatically disqualifies you as a credible witness. By all means stay away! your silly fishing lesson would not be welcome anyway!!!!

Edited by Fishguy50 (09/04/09 12:47 AM)

#534412 - 09/04/09 12:58 AM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: Fishguy50]
subterranean Offline
Egg

I've been visiting this site for a long time and finally registered today just to comment on this thread. I began fishing the Puyallup with my Dad when I was probably 10 years old (sooner than that and I wouldn't qualify it as actual fishing). And the fact is, there are a number of people still fishing the Puyallup that do it the right way. I probably couldn't tell you their names because they are known by the holes they fish, the type of lures they use (spinner guy), or the jobs they once had (the principal). I thoroughly love the Puyallup River but am disgusted everyday I drive by River Road and see what its become. Still, I have to say that as one person who still fishes hardware legally, (I'm the spoon guy) without barbs, and who still catches and releases unclipped fish, I tend to feel defensive when people refuse to separate the river from the people who fish it, and who can't seem to distinguish between people fishing it the right way, and those who don't. Many of the same things can be said of lots of rivers, personally I've seen worse behavior on the Satsop, but I wouldn't condemn the whole lot because of that. The puyallup suffers worse because of its proximity to so many urban areas.

There are great times to fish on the Puyallup, when all the flossers have moved on, and there are a lot of places that are not conducive to flossing. I would suggest that some of you try to discover this other side of the "puke" but I wouldn't want the extra competition.

And another thing, for many people, myself included, we can't afford the drift boats, the weekend trips to the Sol Duc, and we don't have the kinds of knowledge of those river systems that one needs to be successful. I know the Puyallup. I've seen it change from successive floods and from successive levy repairs, hell, there are holes that are legends in my family that disappeared 15 years ago. And there are times of the year when I can find great fishing on a shoe string budget. It would take me a long time to develop that kind of relationship with another river. So please, show some respect. Condemn the practice, but don't put down my river.

#534418 - 09/04/09 01:11 AM Re: Puyallup report! [Re: ]
Fishguy50 Offline
Fry

Praddle, dribble, rattle. Reread this, YOU DONT FISH THE PUY. THEREFORE YOU DONT KNOW. PERIOD

Edited by Fishguy50 (09/04/09 01:13 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
backcast, Bad-Daddio, Drifter, FishinFredo, kmiller
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645435 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |