Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#541554 - 09/28/09 10:59 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Bantam]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
RVRFSHR should make their own brand of knee pads. They'd be big sellers on this site.

rofl

#541615 - 09/29/09 01:08 AM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: The Moderator]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
Originally Posted By: parker
RVRFSHR should make their own brand of knee pads. They'd be big sellers on this site.

rofl

I was thinking the same thing

#541620 - 09/29/09 01:23 AM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: stlhdr42]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: stlhdr42
I saw you guys were runnin a mixture of herring and hootchie spinners on sunday, what was the results between the two. What out did what.

Both worked great, which boat were you in?

#541623 - 09/29/09 01:32 AM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Rossiman]
Lifesavin Offline
Egg

Thanks for the tips on using these spinners. I will try them when I hit the river Wednesday.

#541624 - 09/29/09 01:37 AM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Todd]
Lifesavin Offline
Egg

Originally Posted By: Todd
Originally Posted By: Lifesavin
My understanding of the best way to fish the Rvrfshr spinners is to tie a swivel to the main line and snap the spinner in? Presentation would be a little up river, let in sink and slowly start reeling and changing speeds? Is correct? How about choosing size and color for river conditions?

Thanks for the help in advance.

ls, Rvrfshr spinners come with a pre-installed swivel, so no need for a snap swivel.

The technique you are describing is excellent for summer runs, and works pretty well for winter runs, too...for coho, and other salmon, too, for that matter...I think it works better to either cast it into froggy water and retrieve it, or to toss it across and down slower moving water and let it swing, hopefully so it will be moving quite a bit slower than an upstream/reel down presentation.

Fish on...

Todd

Thanks for the input. I will be putting it to use Wednesday When I hit the river. Hopefully I will hook into something nice.

#541626 - 09/29/09 01:47 AM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: fish4brains]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
Originally Posted By: fish4brains
Originally Posted By: stlhdr42
I saw you guys were runnin a mixture of herring and hootchie spinners on sunday, what was the results between the two. What out did what.

Both worked great, which boat were you in?

I was in an 18ft alumaweld with a loomis fish on the side, probably too many boats out there to remember me. So you think the spinner and herring had the same amount of action in the bite department? Although I think I could have ran a banjo minnow and caught fish on sunday.

Edited by stlhdr42 (09/29/09 01:47 AM)

#541670 - 09/29/09 11:43 AM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: stlhdr42]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Seemed that the spinners were a little slow in the mornings, and were the hot ticket in the afternoons...but if you were in the right spot and fishing correctly, there were times that you could have been trolling with a banana peel and probably hooked up.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#541744 - 09/29/09 05:51 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Todd]
FINATIC Offline
Alevin

So...a couple of weeks ago at the Chehalis Fish-In I slipped Dr. Francis a couple of my RvrfshrHootchieSpinners...you can see one stuck in the maw of his "coho or Chinook?" thread...

Anyway...I made a bunch more up this morning in anticipation of a weekend of coho fishing, so I thought I'd share with the crowd...here they are...

First, I start out with Sampo swivels...I take off the stock metal rings, and put on split rings...here's all the parts:

In the next pic you can see the spinners sans hooks, and the hooks on the Sampo swivels...

The next pic shows the hootchies on the hooks...I open up the nose of the hootchie just enough to get the head of the Sampo through it, then put on the other split ring...

Put the split ring on the tail of the spinner, and you're good to go...

Today's selection...

The Sampo swivel? Yeah...probably not required, but here's why I use it...

Rvrfshr spinners don't really have rotating shafts...all well-built spinners ought not, and since Joe designed 'em and I built 'em, well, they don't spin smile The swivel actually allows the hootchie to flap around and twist around behind the spinner rather nicely.

It also helps with one other thing...I mostly fish with barbless hooks, and with no barb and the damn hootchie covering up part of the hook, I find that the swivel helps keep the hook jammed in the chops of a death-rolling silver better...

For steelhead in the summer I'm a big fan of the "toss it up, drag it down" type of spinner fishing...the exact opposite is employed for coho...

I'll typically toss it straight across, or downstream to about 45 degrees, and then reel it as it swings...but I only reel it just enough to keep the blade barely turning, which is an easy deal with a size 5 Rvrfshr...they spin nice and slowly.

Next steps include the fish hammering it, me setting the hook, and then playing the fish...hopefully resulting in a large two-tone hooknose in the box about five minutes later.

Fish on...

Todd

I see the componets are for sale on the site, I obviously need the Wire tool to build up my own---- CORRECT?????

I have used a few of my buds bench mounted ones and liked them alot better than any set of hand ones I have used, seemed to bend up a much straighter spinner body!!!

I likee the Sickles!!!!!

Thanks FINATIC

#541750 - 09/29/09 06:09 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: FINATIC]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
2 pairs of needlenose pliers is all the wire tool you need.

#541752 - 09/29/09 06:10 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: FINATIC]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Finatic...I make my spinners, and the thousands that end up in stores, with a pair of needlenose pliers, and pair of wire cutters, and my fingers...here's a video that someone else on another site made of how to put them together...it's pretty good.

http://steelheadnotebook.net/forum/index.php?topic=547.0;p=11

I find that the spinner twisting tools work OK, but they wear out before they could make anywhere near the amount I need to build, and my fingers and a pair of pliers never wear out...and I can make about one per minute once I get rolling...

Fish on...

Todd

#541765 - 09/29/09 06:51 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Todd]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
and I can make about one per minute once I get rolling...

funny, "rolling" always slowed me down wink sorry, couldn't resist

PS thanks for bringing up this thread again

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#541930 - 09/30/09 12:53 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Mikespike]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

On another note...

Since writing up that tutorial, I started using rubber squid, similar to B-2's, rather than hootchies when fishing froggy and/or dirty water, and the success rate went up measurably.

They make the lure move slower, and provide a bigger profile in the water when necessary.

I'm thinking about securing a bulk load of rubber squid like that to make available as a seasonal item...would folks be interested in something like that?

Fish on...

Todd

#541932 - 09/30/09 01:00 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Todd]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Yes!

#541935 - 09/30/09 01:01 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Castingpearls]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Pink Hootchies are really hard to find right now.

I hate pink years.

#541951 - 09/30/09 02:33 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Castingpearls]
Bent Rods Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chilliwack ,British columbia,C...
I have been tying mine up on sickle hooks with rubber legs and some crinkle flash, much like tying a jig.
Still waiting for numbers of Coho to test them on, any day now.

#541954 - 09/30/09 02:44 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Castingpearls]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Castingpearls
Pink Hootchies are really hard to find right now.

I hate pink years.

Think green or orange for coho.

If I had to only use two hootchie spinners, I'd use:

a) Pink body with a green hootchie
b) Orange body (or red) with an orange (or red) hootchie.

I know it's not a RVRANYTHING product, but the 4.5 Pentac blades and bodies sure have a put a flaming metric buttload (FMB) of coho on the bank for me.

What I *really* like about the 4.5's over any #5 and most #4's is the feel (wobble) of the blade. It's about the perfect size for most if not all of our rivers in this state.

The two spinners are #1 and #2 in this photo:

It's an older photo, but here's the same idea with a single siwash instead of the treble....

I tend to use the barrel swivel rather than the bead option. Both work, though.

#541955 - 09/30/09 02:48 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: The Moderator]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

My usual color combos are silver w/ orange or pink hootchie for colored or big water, and Gold or Copper with blue or green hootchies for clear water...that's about as technical as I get on the colors.

Fish on...

Todd

#541958 - 09/30/09 03:00 PM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: The Moderator]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Originally Posted By: parker
I know it's not a RVRANYTHING product, but the 4.5 Pentac blades and bodies sure have a put a flaming metric buttload (FMB) of coho on the bank for me.

rofl rofl

flaming metric buttload

rofl rofl

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#542133 - 10/01/09 12:21 AM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Todd]
Lifesavin Offline
Egg

Finatic...I make my spinners, and the thousands that end up in stores, with a pair of needlenose pliers, and pair of wire cutters, and my fingers...here's a video that someone else on another site made of how to put them together...it's pretty good.

http://steelheadnotebook.net/forum/index.php?topic=547.0;p=11

I find that the spinner twisting tools work OK, but they wear out before they could make anywhere near the amount I need to build, and my fingers and a pair of pliers never wear out...and I can make about one per minute once I get rolling...

Fish on...

Todd

Were can I buy the reflective tape/stickers to try on the spinners? Or the hootchies? So the spinner that I just bought from you I can separate and put the hootchie on and be ready to hopefully slay some Coho?

Thanks,
Andy

#542218 - 10/01/09 11:36 AM Re: Rvrfshr Hootchie Spinners [Re: Lifesavin]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Andy, you can get reflective tape and hootchies at most shops...Sportco in Fife and OE in Seattle have both, as I'm sure many other stores do.

I'm looking into securing some rubber squid for this purpose, in bulk, to make available to our customers on a seasonal basis...if I get that done, I'll let you know here.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |