Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#545677 - 10/13/09 04:32 PM Muzzleloader Hunt and Observations
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burien, Wa
So, I just wanted to provide a quick Muzzleloader Permit hunt story with some observations.

My partner and I were pulled for the Winston 520 Cow Permit (only 45) and it was all last week. We had drive in access, since it is so big and they wanted some cows removed from the middle area of the treefarm.

So, we had a rough week of conditions, we had a full moon, we had completely sunny days with temps between 42 deg nights and 67 days. I know some would probably be happy with that but this makes for tough hunting. The elk were out all night long and then in the deep reprod and brush during the days. We had hunted this area for 15 years as archers so knew it well. The bull’s had their herds and so seemed to be keeping the herds in close and in the trees. We got there a day early and checked a couple of spots and the first one we jumped a 4x4 bull with 8 cows and then we jumped another 4x4 bull. So we were excited. Anyway, the rest of the week we only had 2 chances to get a shot on cows, but couldn’t seal the deal. We did have a great time! We also happened to sneak into an area, old growth with deep ferns, and we got within 80 yards of the largest bull we have ever seen hunting the west side, 6x6 with a HUGE rack, and he was between us and his herd of 12 cows that were about 150 yards away, but it was very exciting!!!!

Now, the observations: I know that we are individuals, we all hunt different methods and techniques, but there are some things that I think would be basic hunting etiquette.

1) If you drive into an area and you see a someone’s rig parked next to, just prior to, in a clear-cut, PLEASE just drive by. Don’t stop and talk, smoke or get out of your car/truck to see if you can see the other hunters or the animals they might be pursuing. I would hope that someone really wouldn’t shoot and animal that others are stalking.

2) Try and practice a “Pack it in and Pack it out” mind set at ALL times. Within ½ a mile of our camp there were at least 50 cans and bottles along side the road, at old campsites, and even on hiking trails. What is wrong with you if you just drop it or through it out the window? (not looking for praise) But my partner and I packed out 1 FULL white trash bag of smashed cans and bottles. That doesn’t count the ones that we just put in the trash or recycling at the gas station. I also packed out a small propane stove and some old hunting clothes and boots. PLEASE Pack it out!

3) Remember that there are other hunting seasons besides your own! So, the woods where others are hunting is NOT the place to sight in or target practice while other user groups are Actually Hunting. And this is really true if you have driven past a Private landowners sign (including Weyerhaeuser and Port Blakeley treefarms) that says “No Target Shooting”. And for goodness sake stop your friends, family or others that you might know that are STUPID enough to shoot signs!

These are just a few. I was reminded of my father as a kid… when I was doing something, that he had given me permission to do… “If you abuse the privilege you WILL LOSE the privilege!” And we have all seen and complain about loosing hunting access… but it is our own fault if we abuse the privilege!

GOOD LUCK to the Rifle Guys… go give it to them! Shoot Straight and Know Your Target!

Shawn

P.S. and one more observation 4) PLEASE, PLEASE learn how to make a “cat hole” when you are taking a dump or pee in the woods, or on the road, or in the ditch. Guys/Gals, I know first hand that if you are brave enough to be out there in the woods hunting that you should be able to get far enough off the road or away from the trail, and that you should be strong enough to dig a “cat hole” (a hole about 6 inches deep, or that you make with your boot heel) that crap into. Also, gal PLEASE, use the same method when you take a pee. And guys if your gal is to scared to get away from the edge of the road get you butt out of the truck and take her. PLEASE! It is ridiculous how much paper I saw sitting onto of the sole!

Attachments
Scouting Bull - sm.JPG

End of another great day - sm.JPG

Pink Rainier - sm.JPG

Pink Saint Helens - sm.JPG

Sign - sm.JPG

Edited by wabowhunter (10/13/09 07:58 PM)

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#545685 - 10/13/09 04:55 PM Re: Muzzleloader Hunt and Observations [Re: wabowhunter]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Great pictures and story.

Having a good time is what it is all about.

I liked your etiquette list. It is sad to think that for a lot of individuals, that kind of thing is not second nature or common sense as it is for most of us.

I always take a few minutes before I go target practicing to look at what units are open for what. Beyond that, I try and target practice in locations that are not good for hunting. Usually the end of a spur, in no-mans land 15 yr old reprod or something like that.

#545806 - 10/13/09 11:12 PM Re: Muzzleloader Hunt and Observations [Re: wabowhunter]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Originally Posted By: wabowhunter
And for goodness sake stop your friends, family or others that you might know that are STUPID enough to shoot signs!

Thats no chit! I have never been around anyone who does this. Its real bad over on this side. Every frickin sign has at least one shot from a centerfire and one shot from a shotgun.

P.S. We had some luck during out muzzy deer and elk hunts.........post when time permits (still wraping).

j7 2012

#546421 - 10/15/09 08:25 PM Re: Muzzleloader Hunt and Observations [Re: j 7]
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Gotta love the guys sighting their rifles in your hunting area. That always gets the blood boiling!

Looking forward to some pics J 7

#546504 - 10/16/09 12:54 AM Re: Muzzleloader Hunt and Observations [Re: Robbo]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
You can't fix stupid

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |