THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#546800 - 10/17/09 12:08 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 ***** [Re: stlhdr1]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Seems a little counter productive to recruit so heavily for an organization on this forum, then contribute to a thread in a way that makes said organization look like an inept motley bunch of snivelers and whiners.

That's what the PM function is for.

#546845 - 10/17/09 11:41 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Salmo g.]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
OTC,

We're on the same side. 9,000 members is a good start. The vast majority, like myself, send a check and don't actively participate. As membership grows, the number who participate in policy setting increases, and CCA action will shift toward the majority opinion, which is always subject to change.

An unfortunate reality, not acknowledged by all, is that allocation battles ARE the future of salmon fishing, forevermore. Even if CCA is misguided at this time on LCR selective fishing, I still think it's the best mechanism to make improvements to recreational fishing opportunity.

LB,

Boater can be a pita, but that doesn't make him wrong on the LCR chinook allocation issue. Under present law, regulation, and policy I'm sure he is right. Selective non-treaty commercial fishing on the LCR will reduce sport harvest of spring chinook. It is a point of contention, but it's not arrogance to try to make the argument. CCA may not want to get in an allocation battle, but they will find themselves in it nonetheless as the recreational share is reduced. You say that selective fishing will save wild fish; you do you reach this conclusion? I ask because you are wrong. I'm happy to discuss this at length with you if you like.

FR,

This is not a conservation issue. It is an allocation issue. NMFS has determined that it is OK to harvest up to 15% of wild CR spring chinook. You can bet the states and tribes will do everything in their power to harvest them. No party with authority is going to try to put any part of those 15% wild chinook on the spawning grounds. They are available for incidental mortality while fishing for the much greater number of hatchery chinook. The only question regarding this issue is who is going to "take" those 15% wild chinook, treaty tribes get 13%, with non-treaty commercial and sport splitting the remaining 2%.

AuntyM,

Some people think I'm a PollyAnna, not a chicken little. Here's something you need to know. The states do not fund CR hatcheries. They are federally funded under the Mitchell Act and Lower Snake Compensation Act to mitigate fish losses caused by the federal dams on the Snake and Columbia Rivers. While the original emphasis was commercial fishing, because sport fishing accounted for a small part of the CR salmon harvest. Further, the major part of the salmon harvest will continue to be commercial harvest - by treaty tribes - even if the non-treaty commercial sector disappeared tomorrow. The federal funding of the hatcheries will continue to mitigate dam-caused losses without the non-treaty fishery because of the treaty fishery obligations and the social and economic benefits of the recreational fishery.

I support selective fishing, but I don't support selective commercial fishing as a means to justify a commercial fishery that has become an historical anachronism or to increase the commercial harvest at the direct expense of sport harvest. Remember, the treaty fishery assures that 86% of the spring chinook will be commercially harvested anyway. Why share any more of the run with commercial fishing to keep the LCR hobby commercial fishery in business?

LB & Aunty,

Having your squabble here only serves the interests of those who would divide sport fishers, and we ain't gonna' improve sport fishing by your having it here. Please take it off forum.

Sg

Salmo stands up and shouts "the Emperor Has No Cloths".
And I'm in agreement.

#546885 - 10/17/09 02:48 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Illahee]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Keith,

There are two reasons why unclipped chinook may have CWT in their snout. First, some wild salmon are tagged to obtain harvest distribution data on wild stocks because they are sometimes different from hatchery fish. Second, some hatchery salmon are left unclipped but CWTed to provide "double blind" mark groups so that the differential harvest rates on marked and unmarked fish can be estimated. Of course there is the third reason, that some hatchery fish are not fin clipped. Thought you should be aware of the other reasons.

Sport fishing is not doomed. However, the more that sportfishermen engage in spitting matches with each other instead of organizing to advance mutual interests, the more that sportfishing will suffer.

If the price of bitching and criticism was to offer up one truly constructive suggestion, my bet is that way over 90% of the pissing and moaning would disappear. But since talk remains cheap, internet bitching continues to rule the day.

Sg

#546886 - 10/17/09 03:04 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Sorry if someone already pointed these observations out, but I didn't bother reading much after seeing the little bitchfest...

The states fund very little of the Columbia River hatchery system...it's funded mainly thru Mitchell Act funding as a mechanism to mitigate the federal dams on the Columbia...and that money isn't going anywhere, no matter who quits fishing or who gets more or less selective.

Anyone who thinks that the battle over LCR fisheries isn't almost 100% an allocation battle, no matter what side you are on, clearly has very little concept of how LCR fisheries are crafted. It seems to me that the folks who don't think it's an allocation-driven program are the same ones who seem to think that the commercial guys killing more hatchery fish and the same amount of wild fish is both good for fish and fishing...also, not all that logical of a conclusion to come to.

This thread is further evidence of how Salmo g.'s point that we all need to be united isn't likely to happen...why would anyone who has qualms about the CCA want to be involved in anything that includes the type of folks arguing on behalf of it on this thread?

GW Bush as a "uniter not a divider" has got nothing on the CCA.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#546891 - 10/17/09 03:13 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Salmo g.]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Thank you! beer

In the world of harvest it is the commercials well oiled machine delivering a steady and consistent message that prevails in the argument.

On the sports side, and only a newbie to this BB, I would say pick about any thread and you can see why the commercials win the argument not only with the agencies but the public. What amazes me is that sports fisherman don't recognize they are their own worse enemies. Bloody strange.

Edited by Rivrguy (10/17/09 03:14 PM)

#547157 - 10/18/09 04:18 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Phil Maraude]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

The salmon for all organization is a bunch of fish thieves. The former leader of salmon for all resigned after he got pinched for illegal fishing. If any of you sportfishermen think joining salmon for all will help the cause of sportfishing by keeping non-selective gillnetting around are truly morons who have been breathing seattle smog for too many years. Fish the columbia for springers for a while and see what destruction gillnets do to winter steelhead, early summer steel as well as chinooks.

#547165 - 10/18/09 05:36 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Rivrguy]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

What amazes me is that sports fisherman don't recognize they are their own worse enemies. Bloody strange.

we are on the door step of having the commercials change to a method that will realy hurt sportfishing and i`m not going to sit here and not say anything, if anything the cca should create a new position and call it the director of common sense and have salmo g. fill the spot, atleast then they would actualy think about what they are doing.

#547168 - 10/18/09 06:40 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: boater]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

There are better solutions at hand, like the SFS plan, where gillnets are removed from the mainstem, and their allocation shifts to the sportfishers.
Commercial harvest would then be taken from net pen fisheries.

http://www.safeforsalmon.com/

#547189 - 10/18/09 08:53 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Illahee]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

One step at a time peeps. Getting the nets off the river will not end up giving more allocation to commercials. The propaganda fools that support commercials have infiltrated the internet to create fear of the CCA. Washington state is full of commercial fishermen and I would bet all these spin doctor type posts come from buddies of commercial fishermen, or from commercials themselves. I fished in alaska years ago out in the bering sea and kodiak on a dragger. I was sick when I saw our net haul 9 tons of salmon of all species up dead. We just shoveled it overboard. That's when I became aware of the waste commercials are laying upon our oceans. Beware of the people on this site trying to spin your head around with senseless posts telling you CCA is going to inadvertently make things worse. I'm sending them all the $ I can. See you below bonneville next spring when we see a mega run of springers that are showing up because a judge ordered dams to spill, combined with a productive ocean cycle. Tell me I'm an idiot for believing we have a big run coming and for supporting the CCA. I don't mind, I'm not in this to be popular, but I will for darn sure remind the chumps on here next spring after huge numbers enter the columbia.

#547193 - 10/18/09 09:17 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: salmon bake]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: salmon bake

Getting the nets off the river will not end up giving more allocation to commercials.

they dont need anymore of the esa take allocation to get to keep more hatchery fish in the spring chinook fishery after they go to a more selective method.

to kinda change the subject, this year sports failed to catch about 20k hatchery coho in the ocean and about 50k hatchery coho at buoy 10 and the esa that was not used by sports was givin to the LCR gillnetters and they turned those 70k hatchery coho into about 15k of any coho, if the gillnetters had already changed to a selective method with a release mortality rate equal to sports what would be the reason why the new-fad commercials couldnt have caught and kept those 70k hatchery coho in the columbia and do you think that would effect sportfishing ?, and, the same amount of esa listed coho would be killed.

#547197 - 10/18/09 09:34 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: boater]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

“Commercial boats could actually catch a lot more hatchery-reared salmon if we can find new ways to reduce mortalities of protected wild fish.”

http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=aug2809b

#547213 - 10/18/09 10:50 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: boater]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

Boater, your a blatant propagandist, and not all that good of one at that. Your do nothing attitude makes me wonder how tied to commercial fishing you are. Blaming sporties for not catching enough coho at buoy ten had everything to do with state fisheries managers not raising the limit to above 2 fish per person/per day. Since you are needing the last word to spread your lies and fear tactics about the CCA go for it. Killing wild fish in gillnets is going to end. The goal IS WILD FISH RECOVERY!

#547224 - 10/18/09 11:28 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: salmon bake]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

One step at a time peeps. Getting the nets off the river will not end up giving more allocation to commercials. The propaganda fools that support commercials have infiltrated the internet to create fear of the CCA. Washington state is full of commercial fishermen and I would bet all these spin doctor type posts come from buddies of commercial fishermen, or from commercials themselves. I fished in alaska years ago out in the bering sea and kodiak on a dragger. I was sick when I saw our net haul 9 tons of salmon of all species up dead. We just shoveled it overboard. That's when I became aware of the waste commercials are laying upon our oceans. Beware of the people on this site trying to spin your head around with senseless posts telling you CCA is going to inadvertently make things worse. I'm sending them all the $ I can. See you below bonneville next spring when we see a mega run of springers that are showing up because a judge ordered dams to spill, combined with a productive ocean cycle. Tell me I'm an idiot for believing we have a big run coming and for supporting the CCA. I don't mind, I'm not in this to be popular, but I will for darn sure remind the chumps on here next spring after huge numbers enter the columbia.

You wanna know what I think? I think your damn near insane if you actually believe anything in this ridiculous quote. I've been battling the commercial fishers on the Columbia on behalf of fish and fishing for decades before anyone in WA or OR ever even heard of the CCA.

Fish on...

Todd

#547231 - 10/18/09 11:33 PM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

By the way, it's utter nonesense posts like yours, salmon bake, that make the definition of a "$25 Expert" really come to life...

Fish on...

Todd

#547240 - 10/19/09 12:11 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Todd]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

So since you are an "expert" todd, and been "battling for fish and fishermen" and have the dumbass quote " hey little girl, want some candy" on your page, show me what you accomplished in this fishery to protect it. If you want the credit for how awesome the columbia is managed currently then go ahead and take it. NOTHING HAS STOPPED these gillnets. Not even self proclaimed fish god todd. If u have done so much todd, and achieved nothing then maybe you should hand over the reigns to someone who can make an impact? A well funded, experienced, proven winner In other parts of the country type of organization? CCA perhaps? Seems to me todd you are a lost cause selling overpriced tackle that kinda sucks, and I along with lots of other sport fishermen see the importance of having a unified front who represents us! P.s. Todd, I dropped a hell of a lot of dough on CCA, way more than 25 bucks.

#547244 - 10/19/09 12:21 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: salmon bake]
hohbomb73 Offline
D.E.A

Loc: in da hood

Stick around sb, ...eventually, if you REALLY apply yourself, you too will have a "dumbass quote" by your name.

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat.

#547254 - 10/19/09 12:47 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: hohbomb73]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

A good quote by my name would be " not a gillnetter in disguise." support CCA and be good to the fisheries. See you all on the columbia next spring. Going to be an awesome run. Can't wait to see how it fishes in 20 years if we can keep judge Redden around to make B.P.A. Spill water, and after the incremental Victories the CCA is going to make on the behalf of wild salmon. Rome wasn't built in a day! First things first get rid of the gillnetters.

#547257 - 10/19/09 12:56 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: salmon bake]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

A good quote by my name would be " not a gillnetter in disguise." support CCA and be good to the fisheries. See you all on the columbia next spring. Going to be an awesome run. Can't wait to see how it fishes in 20 years if we can keep judge Redden around to make B.P.A. Spill water, and after the incremental Victories the CCA is going to make on the behalf of wild salmon. Rome wasn't built in a day! First things first get rid of the gillnetters.

Funny you should mention spill, the last time I looked at the list of litigants who sued the BPA over spill CCA 's name wasn't there, however several other fish advocacy groups were.

#547260 - 10/19/09 01:22 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Illahee]
salmon bake Offline
I get my candy from Todd

Freespool, spill was forced in federal court before the creation of the CCA. Give them time man. Also there are only so many dollars for so many fights, when CCA gets enough funding you will see more results. Dams held water back summer before last even after they were ordered to spill. B.P.A. Sold more power than they could generate, so they stopped spill to run water over turbines even though federal court ordered them not to do so. O.k. Done fighting about this facts are on the table, must be a bunch of gillnet huggers round these parts!

#547264 - 10/19/09 01:42 AM Re: columbia spring chinook 2010 [Re: Todd]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Looks to me like a pipe dream, this forecast.

I too, have come back year after year since the later Eighties.
Imagine the federal government more looking out for our public resource, not.

A wide range of opportunity for fellow veterans and myself has been lost. It is sad our government is still about Maximum Take.

I've vounteered for years to outlast this mind set. Even if I do not live to see the change, perhaps one of the 3K plus kids in my aquatic education classes will carry the flame.

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FishTickler, LadyZehe, MADWIZERD
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 357 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645468 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |