THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#550978 - 10/30/09 07:18 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: The Moderator]
shawn k Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: parker
Ok Fly, what prompted this?

I wanna hear the story(s).

The last few interactions I've had with WDFW enforcement has been Brian out in the OP. Class Act officer and sure as heck hope the rest are like him.

I did see a young "go getter" type out in Forks last year that liked to bark a lot - and snapped a little bit at Stam. Heard he barked at a few guides, but I think he's moved on to "bigger and better" things.

His name is Corey and he is a good guy once you get to know him.

#550979 - 10/30/09 07:21 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: shawn k]
shawn k Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I have an idea lets contract the PT Skallam tribe to do the game enforcement for the state. grin

#550996 - 10/30/09 07:57 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: BrianL]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Originally Posted By: BrianL
Even city cops know that the best way to gain trust/cooperation is to have someone who speaks the language. Don't necessarily need to hire ethnic minorities, but they do need to start hiring/training for the ability to communicate in a second language.
Brian

I have a very large problem with that. This Country is a English Speaking Nation with a uniquely American Culture. If somebody comes here legally, then it is THEIR OBLIGATION to learn our language and culture, i.e., adapt/assimilate. If they want to stick their heads in THEIR cultural sand, then THEY should PAY The Penalty. The example of clam diggers not knowing that clams were out of season should have prompted the American English speaking person to report them and insist the appropriate LEO's take action. That is what Citizenship is all about. By not becoming involved, you only enable ignorance/law violations/American Cultural Insult.

Edited by JohnQ (10/30/09 07:58 PM)

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#550999 - 10/30/09 08:03 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: JohnQ]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
I continue to believe that a program to train and deputize some volunteers (minimum commitment, free annual license as compensation, reasonable standards for candidates) would be amazingly successful at increasing the liklihood of people getting caught and therefore dramatically affect behavior.

There are plenty of retired ex-military, former civil servants, or even just plain ordinary resource loving folks who are spending time out there helping out.

Ski areas have ski patrol, works pretty much like this. Why in the world wouldn't we try this, in a pilot proram?

#551005 - 10/30/09 08:18 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: slabhunter]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: slabhunter
So we wave our public resource goodbye?

In favor of Commercial, industrial impacts offshore?

No, we stick togehter as much as possible and support people who are willing to do the heavy lifting to change the culture from Harvest to conservation. Otherwise, the MPA will cover our open waters.

Im just convinced, we cannot overlook the demand for food. Buying out licenses, doesnt increase the food supply, if its not harvested.
A little perspective is needed. I saw a show last year in which Erin Burnett from CNBC went to INDIA. Its all about developing markets, ie business opportunity. They have thousand of people each month, who ARE NOW ABLE TO EAT TWICE PER DAY. So, whats for dinner? How much salmon would it take to feed millions of people in INDiA. (currently, other fisheries are being overharvested )

#551009 - 10/30/09 08:21 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: IrishRogue]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Originally Posted By: IrishRogue
I continue to believe that a program to train and deputize some volunteers (minimum commitment, free annual license as compensation, reasonable standards for candidates) would be amazingly successful at increasing the liklihood of people getting caught and therefore dramatically affect behavior.

There are plenty of retired ex-military, former civil servants, or even just plain ordinary resource loving folks who are spending time out there helping out.

Ski areas have ski patrol, works pretty much like this. Why in the world wouldn't we try this, in a pilot proram?

Yah know, this is NOT a new idea, but a great idea!!!!! There is an existing model for this in both Washington and Oregon, Reserve Deputies Sheriffs. I know I was one for almost 12 years. I had to attend a BPST certified training course that lasted almost 7 months, two nights a week. I still remember my Oregon BPST Number. If the Oregon Sheriffs Deputy was used as a model, it would also address and solve the "Jurisdiction Problems." In Oregon (don't know about Washington), a Deputy commissioned in one county has color of authority in all Oregon counties. And City commission police officers, only have color of authority within the geographic boundaries of that city. Also, as a commissioned LEO in Oregon I was required by statute to maintain a minimum of 36 hours of formal training every year. No money charged hands, it was strictly volunteer, however, if I was injuried (which I was one time), the sheriff of Multnomah County paid Workmen's Comp insurance on all of us so we were covered for injuries. I also had to buy and maintain all of my own equipment (uniforms, equipment, sidearm, etc.).

I wonder if Cenci is readinjg this???? Or at least BushBear who has Cenci's ear zip

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#551030 - 10/30/09 08:48 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: JohnQ]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
When I think of all the 1,000's of days I have spent hunting and fishing and I can count on one hand the interactions I have had with enforcement. That doesn't seem right. Granted I spend a lot of time in a boat but I've talked with the older guy in for forks brian I think was his name last year and he never even checked my license or my pair of brats. What's your guys thoughts on oregons enforcement? From what I understand the state police are the enforcement for odfw, how does that work? Couldn't agree more though about our wardens focusing on the resource and not a guy drinkin a beer while driving on a dirt road hunting, or some fisherman burnin one. Especially if we are going to be thin on enforcement they need to focus on the resource.

#551045 - 10/30/09 09:03 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: stlhdr42]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

The biggest thing about being a good steward vs, civl patrol is the willingness to make the call and not feel like you are a high school nark. It should'nt take payment or freebies to make the call. They dont want the hassle or the responsibility of showing up, getting harrassed or hurt. I dont want a civil partol coming around with a piece of wool trying to find a burr where the barb use to be.

i do not know if the CCA rewards program will be increased. A few have collected, but it has not stopped poaching. I guess if by wearing a LE hat, would make a difference, Id do it.

A sign at ramps and large parking areas, should include the poaching hot line number.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (10/30/09 09:12 PM)

#551050 - 10/30/09 09:12 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: JohnQ]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I spent almost four years as a reserve deputy sheriff after my military service.

I hold Enforcement in high regard. HM looks to favor stupid places when they try to be everything to everyone, and play the right games

And they make it so, to promote the most harmful, least sustainable levels of commercial harvest.

Shame on Region Six and Five Staff for buying into this garbage!!!

#551073 - 10/30/09 10:02 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: superfly]
FishOrDie Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: superfly

Also I don't know if you have noticed but we live in a very diverse state. We have every ethinic group that there is out recreating and enjoying the outdoors. Do you know that we have no Black officers, no Asian Officers, no middle eastern officers, no Indian officers and only 1 hispanic officer!! If you go to any average size police dept. in this state you will see officers of every race and of both genders. WDFW has ZERO diversity which makes them look like a bunch of redneck, white supremisist officers. This needs to change, especially being that you have a large number of Asian and african american sportsman.

Ummmm, how do you know there are no asian officers, or black, or others? I gotta call BS on this. You got some nerve. I personally know there is an Asian officer in Mill Creek region 4.

You are pretty ignorant, WDFW officers have one of the hardest jobs of ANY LEO in WA State, and for you to spout off about dope grows and how they shouldn't be looking for that is just moronic. Last time I checked growing dope is illegal, and they do encounter this "IN THE FIELD" where they belong. What are they suppose to do when they are investigating a fish and wildlife violation and come across a field of dope, on our public lands? Get a clue, the budget is drained. These guys do a great job and if that involves busting dope growers, or catching DUI's then so be it.

BTW, their uniforms say WDFW Enforcement Officer.

The problem is NOT WDFW officers, the problems lie with the department itself, and the politics of this corrupt state, and the corrupt public officials that keep getting re-elected.

FishOrDie

Edited by FishOrDie (10/30/09 10:04 PM)

#551096 - 10/30/09 10:57 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: superfly]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Also I don't know if you have noticed but we live in a very diverse state. We have every ethinic group that there is out recreating and enjoying the outdoors. Do you know that we have no Black officers, no Asian Officers, no middle eastern officers, no Indian officers and only 1 hispanic officer!! If you go to any average size police dept. in this state you will see officers of every race and of both genders. WDFW has ZERO diversity which makes them look like a bunch of redneck, white supremisist officers. This needs to change, especially being that you have a large number of Asian and african american sportsman.

It is time that we as sportsman ask the questions and take this to the commission and legislature and start the wheels of change. If we don't do something now we will lose the right to our resource. We need to form a group or a colalition to present the issues at hand to the commission and legislature to get the wheels of change moving and to hire a new batch of officers to compliment the under staffed group we have now and to add some diversity to the group to properly serve the diverse population of sportsman out there.

I know to some of you this sounds strange coming from me with my somewhat colorful past, but I do care about the resource and the people who protect it so lets stand up and take notice and help ourselves out.

Peace
Fly

THIS REALLY TICKS ME OFF!
I want to know where you got your information because it is INCORRECT!

There has been an asian officer with WDFW up in Clallam County since the mid 70's and he is still to this day working for the agency. Last year the agency hired another asian officer and he is in Snohomish County.

As for indian (native) officers there are several within WDFW enforcement, in fact they make up 3% of the enforcement department.

African americans and middle easterns are the least likely to work in law enforcement and that is a proven fact!

Do not believe this guy he is feeding you misinformation. If you want the true facts send me a pm!

#551097 - 10/30/09 11:00 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: superfly]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

pretty clear to me that the department enforcement division needs a house cleaning from the top down and that is first to remove the former state patrolman who is running the enforcement division and needs to retire since he has 37 years in and is most likely so out of touch with reality that he cannot see the forest from thew trees.

That is where we start.

Peace
Fly

The governor recently announced a "natural resource reform plan" which would move WDFW Officers to WSP, without our resistance it IS going to happen

#551100 - 10/30/09 11:04 PM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: JohnQ]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: JohnQ
Originally Posted By: IrishRogue

Yah know, this is NOT a new idea, but a great idea!!!!! There is an existing model for this in both Washington and Oregon, Reserve Deputies Sheriffs. I know I was one for almost 12 years. I had to attend a BPST certified training course that lasted almost 7 months, two nights a week. I still remember my Oregon BPST Number. If the Oregon Sheriffs Deputy was used as a model, it would also address and solve the "Jurisdiction Problems." In Oregon (don't know about Washington), a Deputy commissioned in one county has color of authority in all Oregon counties. And City commission police officers, only have color of authority within the geographic boundaries of that city. Also, as a commissioned LEO in Oregon I was required by statute to maintain a minimum of 36 hours of formal training every year. No money charged hands, it was strictly volunteer, however, if I was injuried (which I was one time), the sheriff of Multnomah County paid Workmen's Comp insurance on all of us so we were covered for injuries. I also had to buy and maintain all of my own equipment (uniforms, equipment, sidearm, etc.).

I wonder if Cenci is readinjg this???? Or at least BushBear who has Cenci's ear zip

WDFW used to have a reserve program until about 10 years ago when the agency cut it for many reasons including safety and funding (of course). So it is actually not a new idea

#551148 - 10/31/09 12:56 AM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: bigman]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
You are not following me, we need more "Game Wardens" Not Cops, they are spread way to thin and are over worked and often times alone on an island out there trying to do a job to protect "our" resources which we should be doing alot more to protect. We need to attack this at the highest level, there is no where near enough "boots on the ground" or as we said when I was in the army " trigger pullers" Less manangement and more officers and information officers !!!
Pretty simple eqaution !! and bigman, YOU ARE WRONG !!!
Got my info from the inside !!!

Peace
Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#551150 - 10/31/09 01:02 AM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: superfly]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

and bigman, YOU ARE WRONG !!!
Got my info from the inside !!!

Peace
Fly

So would you like me to provide you the names and email addresses of the Asian and Indian officers so you can tell them yourself that no Asian and Indian officer works for WDFW? This is pretty amazing considering I have worked with one of the asian officers and two of the indian officers in the past 2 months.... Who is your "
inside" source?

#551151 - 10/31/09 01:09 AM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: superfly]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

You are not following me, we need more "Game Wardens" Not Cops,

I admit I do agree with you on this issue. Prior to this decade WDFW Officers were only able to enforce hunting and fishing laws. However in the past 10 years WDFW Officers became general authority officers which means they can enforce any law of the state no matter if it's traffic, drugs, and so on. The thought was that WDFW Officers come in contact with general authority crimes all the time while in the woods (especially drug and alcohol violations) and instead of having to call the WSP or Sheriff Dept to respond to handle the situation the legislature gave WDFW Officers the authority to handle any criminal activities by thereself. Great idea however some officers have taken it to the extreme. There are some WDFW Officers who make traffic stops for things such as expired tabs, stop sign violations, speeding and so on. Should a WDFW Officer be doing that? Probably not. Now if a person was DUI would I want a WDFW Officer to stop the person, yes because they are dangerous.

I have worked with officers from many different natural resource agencies across the country and I have noticed one thing. In agencies where the officers have full police authority (and most in the US now do) the younger officers tend to be more like police officers (enforcing all laws) and the older officers tend to be more like game wardens (sticking strictly to fish and wildlife laws)

#551152 - 10/31/09 01:19 AM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: bigman]
fuzzygrub Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: the pacific northwet
aside from the racial issues
i can only remember 2 possibly 3 encounters with game wardens since about 1965
granted i don't fish but a dozen or two time out of the year but it seems i see people fishing illegally/snagging almost every time i do get out and zero enforcement

while watching the news tonight i see 6 wardens/wdfw/? they call them now with their thumbs up their asses and their brand new suv's trying to trap a bear in bremerton ?

it would seem to me that a overweight short ugly warden with camo pants could walk up or down any river on the west side and write at least $5 g a day in tickets to pay his/her and 3-4 office personal wages

more feet on the ground regardless of race would be nice

#551154 - 10/31/09 01:29 AM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: fuzzygrub]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: fuzzygrub

while watching the news tonight i see 6 wardens/wdfw/? they call them now with their thumbs up their asses and their brand new suv's trying to trap a bear in bremerton ?

it would seem to me that a overweight short ugly warden with camo pants could walk up or down any river on the west side and write at least $5 g a day in tickets to pay his/her and 3-4 office personal wages

more feet on the ground regardless of race would be nice

The reason why they were at the bear issue you saw on tv is because WDFW officers top priority is public safety and bears/cougars in a city is considered public safety. They are mandated (by law) to report to a public safety issue before they do any fish/wildlife enforcement. May sound dump to some, however when there is a bear running through Seattle (like there was this year) and the public asks where are the WDFW Officers and they say "o we were just checking fishing licenses on the river" i think we know what kind of a public relations mess that will be...

#551158 - 10/31/09 01:50 AM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: bigman]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
GW's should be just that. Looking out for wildlife infractions, and NOT COPS. They should be bitchslapping poachers and educating the public, and not waiting at a boat launch and writing dad up in front of the family for one crab that's a 1/64th" too small. They have a tough job that Im certain of.

I heard that GW's are now being trained at the WSP academy. Anyong know if that is true or false???

In all the years I've been fishing, I have not once been checked by a GW. I've been checked hunting a couple times, but never while fishing.

In BC, I've been checked by fisheries a few times and a LOT by fish counters.

#551164 - 10/31/09 02:00 AM Re: Sportsman need to Save WDFW From themselves !!!!!! [Re: fishhog]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: fishhog
I heard that GW's are now being trained at the WSP academy. Anyong know if that is true or false???

WDFW Officers do not attend the WSP academy, they actually attend the Basic Law Enforcement Academy (BLEA) in Burien. Only WSP troopers go to the WSP academy, all other police/sheriff/WDFW/DNR Officers go to BLEA. The WSP academy is about 6 months long, BLEA is about 4.5.

If you are going to say that WDFW Officers should not go to a police academy, then that is just not possible. Every law enforcement officer in the state must go to some type of police academy. State park rangers go to a state park ranger academy that is ran the same way as BLEA just not accredited by the BLEA academy. Gambling Commision agents go to BLEA, Liquor Control officers go to BLEA and so on. So WDFW DOES have to send their officers to BLEA

Edited by bigman (10/31/09 02:05 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |