THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55537 - 12/11/03 05:07 PM Which Truck to Buy?
Sambo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kennewick, Wa 99336
Need some input. I will be buying a new 2004 truck in the next 3-5 months and have been doing lots of research on the Totyota Tundra Access Cab, 4 x 4, V-8, SR5, the Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab, 4 x 4, LS, 5.3L V-8, Short Bed, and the GMC Sierra 1500, Ext. Cab, 4 x 4, SLE, 5.3L V-8, Short Bed. I have two elementary aged children so room in the back is a must. Main purpose of travel: Pull my 14 ft Lowe, take kids to school, keep open the option of buying a camper, hunt, fish, trips over the mountain pass, etc. I have come up with a couple of my own conclusions but would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Sambo

#55538 - 12/11/03 05:35 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
BEANCOUNTER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bothell
Sambo, I see you are from Kennewick. I just moved from there. As for the truck Q, are you not considering Ford?? I know that they just changed body styles and first runs can be hit and miss but I've heard nothing but good things about them. And the powerplants offered in them are top notch. The 5.4 litre is a sweet motor, ie reliable, torquey, and modifiable (is that a word???)

#55539 - 12/11/03 06:10 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
If you want the option of buying a camper, buy the Chevrolet 2500 or 2500HD. Campers are heavy and GM products have much more carrying capacity than your other choices.

If you leave the camper out of the picture, you could consider the new Chevrolet Colorado 4 door or almost any SUV.

#55540 - 12/11/03 10:50 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
budnate Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell wa
Read this thread we just hashed it out over there.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?s=&threadid=177580

Bud.

#55541 - 12/12/03 01:21 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Picking up my new rig next week sometime.....should be my last truck for quite a while.

2004 F-350 King Ranch, crew Fx4 SRW , 6.0 powerstroke, etc.

Have had a powerstroke since 99 and I LOVE it.

Steve Ng

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#55542 - 12/12/03 02:25 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
solidsteel Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
I just picked up my f350 yesterday. Man, that 6.0 sure has a lot more power than my old 7.3. I think you are going to like your new truck!

#55543 - 12/12/03 08:32 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Steeliegreg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I finally broke down and bought my first Ford last year, a 2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4. I love it. I towed a 25' full keel sailboat with it, no problems.

#55544 - 12/12/03 09:49 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
Still have my 1986 f250 4x4 supercab 6.9L diesel non turbo. Truck runs great and has held up perfectly. 170,000 miles most of them pulling a boat or with the camper on it. I wouldnt think of buying any other truck than a ford after my experience with this one. But it could be another 170,000 miles before I even have to think about it.

#55545 - 12/12/03 03:11 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
solidsteel,

What did they do with the tranny (if anything) for the new 6.0 powerstroke? I've had 3 of the 7.3's and really like them, but was nervous retuning it for more power with the tranny they came with. I thought I had heard they were going to a beefier one along the lines of the Allison that Chev is using.

Sambo,

I would really re-think getting a halfton from any manufacturer if you plan on getting much more than a basic 8' camper. Even a 3/4 ton is overmatched by some of the bigger campers that are being produced now-a-days.

#55546 - 12/12/03 04:45 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Yes, they say more power from the 6.0, but then again I did chip my 7.3. I too was worried about the tranny, since both of my brothers had trans go out on them (earlier years), But the new 6.0 has a 5 spd torqshift transmission behind them, that some are saying are even better than the Allisons great transmission, I guess only time will tell.

Steve

#55547 - 12/12/03 04:53 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Sambo, Toyota's are not good camper haulers. I have a '96 T100 and to even haul a small pop up camper I had to install air bags. If you look at their design, all Toyota's have the rear axle too far forward in their bed. Most of your weight hangs over the rear axle. Otherwise, they are excellent high quality trucks and worth every penny over the US trucks.

#55548 - 12/13/03 01:42 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
solidsteel Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
I never chipped my 7.3 because I was afraid the tranny couldn't take it.
The 6.0 is rated at 325 hp and 550 ft/lbs torque. It has a lot more power than my 2000 7.3 had. The new torqshift transmission is said to be equal or better than the allison. I guess I'll find out fairly soon. smile
they redesigned the torque converter, and they gave it a larger pump to help with overheating. It also has a tow/haul mode similar to the allison. basically if you hit the brakes in tow/haul mode it downshifts one or two gears gear depending on the situation.
I never had any problems with my 7.3 or tranny, so I'm hoping for more of the same.

#55549 - 12/13/03 04:10 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
bear Offline
Parr

Loc: federal way
sambo
I have a 2001 chev 2500 HD crew cab long box With the duramax allison como. great truck with lots of power and torque. 4 doors make it nice for getting in and out I have 2 small childeren. I pull a 22 foot arima and going to be buying a camper. My GVW. is 9200 and scales at 6300 lbs empty. So keep this in mind when shoping for a pickup you might be overloaded with the pickups you are looking at.
bear

#55550 - 12/13/03 12:32 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Sammy Offline
Fry

Loc: Kennewick,
Thanks for all the replies. Still much to ponder. Camper is not a high priority right now and surely do not want a 3/4 ton with a 6.0. Never had a Toyota before but hear their reliability is awesome. Looking at the the new 2004, 4 door Tundra. I know it is underpowered to tow anything big, but the reliability part keeps coming up. I really like the front end of the GMC and just yesterday, was given a great price for a leaded Sierra 1500 from an Ifish car salesman. Once again, thanks for all your replies. More research to do.

Sammy

#55551 - 12/13/03 07:05 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the info FishNg1 and solidsteel.

PD

#55552 - 12/14/03 12:02 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
I heard in the next few years ford is going to start using cummins diesels has anyone else heard this or is it a b.s rumor confused

#55553 - 12/14/03 03:14 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

I think it's a BS Rumor, the reason they went with 6.0 from the 7.3 had most to do with the emission standards coming up. I don' t think there would be a reason for them to go with the cummins in my honest opinion, as the 6.0 powerstroke as it stands right now, has come out ahead in head to head truck tests between the big three. Read the ariticle below for just a bit of info.
Don't get me wrong, I think all three diesels seem to be great! Not for starting a brand war here.
web page

Steve

#55554 - 12/14/03 01:51 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

I imagine the rumor you heard comes from when Ford bought the division of Cummings that builds the motors that are used in the Dodge trucks. At first, every one thought they would make the switch, but it seems, from a business standpoint, that they are content with selling to Dodge and continuing to use the IH engines that are currently in the line. Also, I never did hear what kind of a relationship/contract Dodge had in place when Ford bought the division.

Seems like a good move, make money every time the competition sells a vehicle...

#55555 - 12/14/03 02:42 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
bigb8bigfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I kinda see your situation sambo, ya need a rig that's all around. Haul when ya have to and yet be able to pick up kids, or double duty, I'd have to go with the 4dr. Tundras. For kids with booster seats, they have the room, easy enough rig for the wife to drive on occasions or emergencies, pulling a boat 19' and smaller is perfect, continuous start-ups and stop and go traffic make it easier with a gas engine course unless you do long daily drives, (avg. 40 miles oneway,) I could see a diesel rig would be the way, and don't have to wake up half the neighborhood in the A.M. moving the rig or boat around, And depndability. A fact that I like to point out is yes, THE TRUCK IS BUILT AND ASSEMBLED IN THE U.S. and have plans to enter in the Craftsman truck series because of this. laugh Food for thought....

Robert

#55556 - 12/14/03 04:47 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Sambo,
Just a couple more thoughts since I'm in the market for a similar truck. First, I haven't looked at the Chevy so can't comment on them. I've looked at most other trucks, but am focused on the new F150 and Tundra Double Cab.

For reference I have 2.7L Tacoma Access cab (4 cyl). My truck struggles over the pass, but still gets the job done even with my 16' aluminum boat behind it.

The biggest problem I have with my Tacoma is too little space in the back for kids/dogs and when going camping too little space in the bed for stuff. With that said, I'd recommend climbing in the back seat yourself and seeing if you are comfortable....all access cabs I've looked at except the new F150 are too small / uncomfortable for adults or bigger kids. My truck was great with a 6 year-old, but at 10 my son is pushing 5 feet. The combination of too little leg room and seats with 90 degree backs make for an uncomfortable ride.

In terms of power/load/towing capacity the F150 is clearly superior to the Tundra Double Cab, but since I'm not adding a camper this is less of a concern for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1047 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |