THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 24 of 30 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#571415 - 01/11/10 11:23 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Salmo g.]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time...

I feel like posting in this thread made my IQ drop two points . . .

Sg

I feel like my IQ just went up a hundred!!! as that is exactly what I was thinking, its all about the baby steps...

Its also about testing the waters as well. If this doesn't pass it will give CCA and idea of just how much effort it will take to eventually pass it... There is no sense in blowing a huge wad of cash until you know just where the population stands...

#571416 - 01/11/10 11:23 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Salmo g.]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

i agree with you, lets say that the initiative passes and heck, lets say washington has one to and it passes and the whole LCR is now a selective commercial fishery taking many more hatchery fish and killing less esa listed fish just like the 25 dollar experts say, what would be your reason for getting the commercials off the river then ??

#571421 - 01/11/10 11:42 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: eyeFISH]
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

The only way to avoid having a delayed sportfishery for summer Chinook or summer run steelhead is the same only way that this will benefit ESA springers without ruining sportfishing for hatchery springers...and that's getting them off the river completely. Fish on... Todd

Not disagreeing with you there brother, but the likelihood of eliminating the comm fishery from the lower river is close to ZERO. Not playing commie apologist here... it is what it is.... esp so when the managing agencies are charged to ensure that viable commercial opportunities be made available. While I would personally love to see them go, I ain't holdin' my breath waitin'... [/quote]

Doc, I am not nearly pessimistic for a few reasons:
(This is strictly about the Columbia River)

1. Look back, through the 1990's WA invested millions in a series buybacks of gillnet permits.

2. When the Select Areas were expanded outside of Youngs Bay, NOAA fisheries is quoted as saying the goal of these areas is to get the gillnetters off the main river. A year was even stated as a goal by which gillnetting would be ended on the main river(I think it was 2003 but I have to doublecheck).

3. Oregon is continuing with their efforts to shift commercial springer harvest off the mainstem by re-programing springer smolts into the SAFE areas (and this has zero to to with HSRG)

4. Under HSRG, Washington is making huge production shifts, particularly Fall Chinook, into the SAFE areas. With that sort of expansion, there IS NO REASON to keep the commercials on the mainstem.

The current statutes of OR and WA are fully satisfied by allowing the commercials to take their fish from Select Area fisheries.

5. All factors considered, I expect an effort to reclassify sturgeon as a "game fish", removing them from commercial harvest. The incidental allowed sturgeon catch, is all that makes some of the gillnet fisheries profitable.

The CCA Oregon initiative which will further entrench commercial fishing is contrary to all these trends. And promises to worsen the conflict between sports and commercials.

This isn't bashing an organization. It's about recognizing and evaluating a very problematic policy and alternatives to it.

Edited by OntheColumbia (01/11/10 11:48 PM)

#571423 - 01/11/10 11:51 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time And this one I`ve heard alot lately too. The best way to eat an elephant is to share with the entire tribe. Heck there`s like 100 gillnetters or so. There`s thousands of us in this tribe, why bend and give them a share of the elephant when we plant the grass to feed it. They`ve had the best parts of the beast for far too long now and what did we get out of it? There`s no denying the benefits that sport angling has on our economy vs. commercial, old argument, gone over many times. Why does WDFW and ODFW bend over to give these few the heart and liver and leave us the guts? Where`s the precidence for retooling an industry that provides so little? Why do we have to fund retooling them?, any other industry except the government or state passes these costs on to consumers. Ya lots of questions but I think someone should be asking them and more, instead of blindly following over the cliff. Bill

#571428 - 01/12/10 12:23 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: billjr64]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
There has been plenty of time for questions, now it's time to think outside of the box.

#571430 - 01/12/10 12:49 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: billjr64]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: billjr64
the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time And this one I`ve heard alot lately too. The best way to eat an elephant is to share with the entire tribe. Heck there`s like 100 gillnetters or so. There`s thousands of us in this tribe, why bend and give them a share of the elephant when we plant the grass to feed it. They`ve had the best parts of the beast for far too long now and what did we get out of it? There`s no denying the benefits that sport angling has on our economy vs. commercial, old argument, gone over many times. Why does WDFW and ODFW bend over to give these few the heart and liver and leave us the guts? Where`s the precidence for retooling an industry that provides so little? Why do we have to fund retooling them?, any other industry except the government or state passes these costs on to consumers. Ya lots of questions but I think someone should be asking them and more, instead of blindly following over the cliff. Bill

Bill, all the answers will come to you, when someone comes to your employer and tells him, they can no longer do business, in the same manner, or same location or just raise taxes, that they drive him out. Bad management and greed, are not an excuse, to eliminate an entire industry. Get the Columbia squared away and make the legislature find other areas, that commercial fishing can function. You spend way too much time, thinking why it wont work. Thats not solving the problem. The first metal machine tools were made by hand. You have to start somewhere.

#571438 - 01/12/10 01:20 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Fast and Furious]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm all for taking a bite of the elephant...I'm not so hot on feeding the elephant and making it bigger as a means to get rid of it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#571454 - 01/12/10 02:40 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Todd]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
The only thing that has gotten bigger here is the box people stand on to tell everyone else how wrong they are.

mismanaged,micromanaged and over managed fisheries is exactly why we are here. Following some convoluted formula that is going to take us back to the days of wax candles and living in huts is out of the question. Waiting for the perfect plan will drive the last remaining "wild" fish into extinction.

Nothings perfect including every approach heard here, but I believe it gives us the best first step.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#571464 - 01/12/10 03:35 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

You are probably right. Since the sport fishing community and society in general can't find the balls to send commercial fishing on the LCR down the same history hole as market hunting it probably is better to save some sturgeon and steelhead from the nets. It's just hard to swallow that it's likely to be pretty crappy fishing for us sportfishers on the crumbs left over from the new ESA friendly selective commercial gear. Kinda like have an old sick dog that is killing your chickens and instead of putting a bullet through it's head you take it to the vet and spend thousands of dollars trying to fix it up. Oh well.

#571467 - 01/12/10 08:07 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Fast and Furious]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Bill, all the answers will come to you, when someone comes to your employer and tells him, they can no longer do business, in the same manner, or same location or just raise taxes, that they drive him out. Bad management and greed, are not an excuse, to eliminate an entire industry. Get the Columbia squared away and make the legislature find other areas, that commercial fishing can function. You spend way too much time, thinking why it wont work. Thats not solving the problem. The first metal machine tools were made by hand. You have to start somewhere. [/quote] ---- I`ve had to change careers several times in my life, same as market hunters,fish wheel operators,loggers,whale hunters,etc. So what your saying is we shouldn`t think about this and just vote yes? Seems kinda like voting on a bill without reading it. The first bronze tools were made by beating the crap out of a hunk of metal with a rock,yea that doesn`t make much sense either nor does it apply here. BTW LB, I asked you a question when I answered yours regarding wanting to kill all the wild fish, which was do you want to end all sport fishing? You never replied. Some of the postings that I`ve read from you lately seem to indicate that indeed you do. This should be much easier when commercials have no ESA impact and sports are the bad guys hurting all the nates. Bill

#571468 - 01/12/10 08:18 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Keta]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Good post Keta, I`ve read alot from you lately here and on the other board and have come to greatly respect your opinion and advice. I`ve really enjoyed your stories of Alaska and the big blue salt.Looking forward to hearing more from you. Been wondering what you said that got you barred from the other board for a time? Just curious. Bill

#571484 - 01/12/10 10:58 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Keta]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Keta
You are probably right. Since the sport fishing community and society in general can't find the balls to send commercial fishing on the LCR down the same history hole as market hunting it probably is better to save some sturgeon and steelhead from the nets. It's just hard to swallow that it's likely to be pretty crappy fishing for us sportfishers on the crumbs left over from the new ESA friendly selective commercial gear. Kinda like have an old sick dog that is killing your chickens and instead of putting a bullet through it's head you take it to the vet and spend thousands of dollars trying to fix it up. Oh well.

What was given of a public resource, can be taken away, but not over night.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#571500 - 01/12/10 11:40 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Keta]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Keta
Kinda like have an old sick dog that is killing your chickens and instead of putting a bullet through it's head you take it to the vet and spend thousands of dollars trying to fix it up. Oh well.

That's a great analogy there...

It's too bad CCA wouldn't be a little more patient and find better alternatives to get the gillnets off the river. Like Eliminating them as Gary Loomis preached from the beginning.....

You make them as selective as or more selective than sportfishers and what's the arguement going to be for allocations?

Keith thumbs

#571502 - 01/12/10 11:44 AM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: stlhdr1]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The argument is going to be the same one we've made at the allocation hearings over the past many years...we're more selective, we're better at releasing wild fish, so we should get the lion's share of the hatchery fish...we can harvest more as we kill our share of ESA fish...

...only it won't be us making that effective argument any more.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#571513 - 01/12/10 12:04 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Todd]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Todd
The argument is going to be the same one we've made at the allocation hearings over the past many years...we're more selective, we're better at releasing wild fish, so we should get the lion's share of the hatchery fish...we can harvest more as we kill our share of ESA fish...

...only it won't be us making that effective argument any more.

Fish on...

Todd

Then the tide turns.... It's almost like CCA's next step will be to assist in taking the sportsman to all barbless then again taking it a step further to a complete selective fishery of no bait and artificial only... Hmmm...

Keith

#571542 - 01/12/10 12:37 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: boater]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: boater

i agree with you, lets say that the initiative passes and heck, lets say washington has one to and it passes and the whole LCR is now a selective commercial fishery taking many more hatchery fish and killing less esa listed fish just like the 25 dollar experts say, what would be your reason for getting the commercials off the river then ??

Boater,

It will be intellectually honest to agree and admit there are two issues here: conservation and allocation.

Banning gillnets and substituting selective fishing gear contributes to conservation by nearly eliminating bycatch mortality. That is a good thing. Even though most of us know and understand it doesn't increase the conservation of wild spring chinook.

Allocation is the honest approach to the issue does indeed come down to "us" versus "them." We will need to admit and advertise that the belief that we can "have it all," that is, have enough salmon for all, commercial and recreational fishing, is dilusional. It will never happen, and all the objective evidence points that direction.

There are several ways to accomplish this.
1. Designate spring chinook as a game fish, not a food fish.
2. Designate sturgeon as a game fish too.
3. Build enough of a war chest to modify the WA state law regarding commercial fishing, making it subordinate to recreational fishing when the economic benefits of recreational fishing exceed those of commercial fishing, acknowledge that treaty Indian commercial fishing satisfies the legislative requirement for commercial fishing.
4. Develop fish traps at Bonneville ladder, Willamette Falls, Cowlitz, Lewis, and Kalama to selectively remove excess hatchery fish AFTER the LCR recreational fishery, rather than before. Those excess hatchery fish could be used for the "highest and best" use, which may be for commercial food fish sale, or another alternative.

The upshot is that the best reason for getting the LCR commercial fleet off the river is the same as it's been for years now. It's an anachronism that has outlived it's usefulness to society. It's a government and ratepayer funded welfare program that benefits few and harms much. I cannot actually think of a good reason to retain it, which is why I've advocated eliminating it for the past decade.

Sg

#571545 - 01/12/10 12:39 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: billjr64]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:

BTW LB, I asked you a question when I answered yours regarding wanting to kill all the wild fish, which was do you want to end all sport fishing? You never replied. Some of the postings that I`ve read from you lately seem to indicate that indeed you do. This should be much easier when commercials have no ESA impact and sports are the bad guys hurting all the nates. Bill

Ok Bill, you got me. I took the lead on no sportfishing last year, cause I only went out three times. Just because you want to swallow all the poor me, my allocation is going away, doesnt have much to do with my efforts. You guy still miss the larger picture, of what needs to be done and when its going to be done.

Dams arent going away fast enough
Hatcheries are closing and not being built(budget)
Habitat is still a function of gravel and nutrients, clean water...

None of those areas have made any break throughs.
Want fish in the future? Save what you have. The gear change in Washington is state wide, not just the columbia. Why bother chat with the tribes right now about giving up wild steelhead harvest and sales? Not easy to achieve with the gear they have.

I guess, you would rather spend your time, convincing people they dont need to eat salmon or sell salmon. Just ignore the wild fish kills in the tribal nets? Just ignore the global population growth. Just ignore the lost opportunity of expanding fisheries, in bays or on land.

Its all about the columbia springer run. Which no one fished for a decade when the fish were not fin clipped. If I was against sportfishing, i would not own two boats.

While we're at it, lets close yellowstone and the national parks and just pave them over. Shoot all the bison, screw the condor and the eagles. Lets be consistent. Wild fish have no value to you. Treat everything else, the same way.

#571550 - 01/12/10 12:46 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Salmo g.]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: boater

Boater,

It will be intellectually honest to agree and admit there are two issues here: conservation and allocation.

Banning gillnets and substituting selective fishing gear contributes to conservation by nearly eliminating bycatch mortality. That is a good thing. Even though most of us know and understand it doesn't increase the conservation of wild spring chinook.

Allocation is the honest approach to the issue does indeed come down to "us" versus "them." We will need to admit and advertise that the belief that we can "have it all," that is, have enough salmon for all, commercial and recreational fishing, is dilusional. It will never happen, and all the objective evidence points that direction.

There are several ways to accomplish this.
1. Designate spring chinook as a game fish, not a food fish.
2. Designate sturgeon as a game fish too.
3. Build enough of a war chest to modify the WA state law regarding commercial fishing, making it subordinate to recreational fishing when the economic benefits of recreational fishing exceed those of commercial fishing, acknowledge that treaty Indian commercial fishing satisfies the legislative requirement for commercial fishing.
4. Develop fish traps at Bonneville ladder, Willamette Falls, Cowlitz, Lewis, and Kalama to selectively remove excess hatchery fish AFTER the LCR recreational fishery, rather than before. Those excess hatchery fish could be used for the "highest and best" use, which may be for commercial food fish sale, or another alternative.

The upshot is that the best reason for getting the LCR commercial fleet off the river is the same as it's been for years now. It's an anachronism that has outlived it's usefulness to society. It's a government and ratepayer funded welfare program that benefits few and harms much. I cannot actually think of a good reason to retain it, which is why I've advocated eliminating it for the past decade.

Sg

Salmo, Safe For Salmon Plan does the very same thing only it takes commercials out of the allocation process.
It could, as CCA is now arguing for their plan, a first step toward eliminating commercials.
SFS could also work with alternative capture methods as well, substitute seine net for gillnet.

#571553 - 01/12/10 12:57 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Illahee]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Freespool,

But all those smolts transferred to net pens in SFS areas are not available to recreational fishing in their previous release sites, or migratory path along the way, but only in the SFS areas. Becauses the LCR fleet provides no social benefit that cannot be better met by other alternatives, I think the "higher and better" goal is to eliminate the LCR fleet entirely. And not accomodate them with a special fishing area. Why are you so invested in preserving these welfare recipients' part time fishery?

Sg

#571554 - 01/12/10 12:57 PM Re: Gill-net salmon fishing ban on ballot? [Re: Illahee]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
Safe for salmon is/was supposed to get the commercials off the main stem, but now they just enjoy the best of all worlds such as taking all the fish they can get into the safe area's that are payed for by us sportsmen and taxpayers for the benifit of just a few...kinda like all those bankers getting those big bonus's after we the taxpayers just bailed them out.

AND THE COMMERCIALS ARE STILL NETTING THE MAINSTEM AND ALSO ENJOYING STURGEON BYCATCH. WE WILL BE LUCKY IF WE ARE STILL FISHING FOR STURGEON IN FIVE YEARS.......

Page 24 of 30 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 29 30 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |