THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#576360 - 01/27/10 04:00 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: SBD]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
http://www.sos.state.or.us/elections/irr/2010/074cmts.pdf

CCA and tribal comments at the bottom of the page.

There's a sucker born every minute

#576367 - 01/27/10 04:25 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: SBD]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
74 is a result of the hold on politics the commercials have in Oregon, a lot of sportsmen are talking and a few in power are holding back progress. No one in CCA has said that hydro is not a problem, no one is jumping on it either at the moment. I would like to point out that CCA is a grass roots operation, we got our own deal here in Washington, Texas has there's. The togetherness is on a national level plus the overall knowledge. That might explan some of the 4.5 million for removal of ghost nets in puget sound.........

#576403 - 01/27/10 06:27 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Must of been by another company other than Exxon moon

#576405 - 01/27/10 06:39 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Suit yourselves, but I fail to see how purse seines CAN take more than a wall of gillnets. Especially since they have to close the net and take TIME to sort...

I'm sure a few sheep will believe you though. rofl

Here is one sheep,

I believe that if you were able to grasp how a Purse seine works, you would believe that a fleet of seiners would catch more than a fleet of gillnetters.

Now, seiners would of course be able to sort the catch, releasing the wild stock. Where a Gillnet fleet would, reach the quota of wild fish (and have to STOP fishing)

Not sure how seining is "better" than gillnetting or why when anyone trys to point something out why you have to call them a Gillnet lover but lucky you, you win the prize for having the HIGHEST post count.

Leadbouncer- You are a fucccking idiot
Aunty M - You are a Fuccking idiot

The rest of you, be careful what you wish for, yea I am a member of the CCA- no I don't go to meetings. Would I like to see Gillnetting on the Columbia ended, by non tribal commercial as well as the tribes (Yes).

(Francis see note above, maybe next fall you will let me have Todds old spot)

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#576408 - 01/27/10 06:45 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Was looking at CCA Texas website for a response to the Exxon 11000000 barrel tanker spill..Of course nothing, but I did find this over the top response to some trout that were getting hacked up in oil barge propellers.

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/jan/13/freezing-temperatures-water-traffic-dangerous/

#576607 - 01/28/10 03:27 AM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: SBD
Must of been by another company other than Exxon moon

It has nothing to do with ownership. Any LNG project that is designed with an open loop system is bad for the fish. Close loop systems are preferred. The Oregon site is a closed loop system and the water will be exchanged filtered and cooled about once a month. But the permit process is not over, so feel free to drag your lazy ass down there and lay down in the street. I hear the River Keepers have sort of lost interest. Seems Walmart is a bigger threat. Perhaps worth more in donations too. Looks like a lot of new jobs in the neighborhood between the LNG and the Gas fired Electrical plant, nearby. Oh, 59 million dollars over 40 years of operation, for salmon is nothing to sneeze at. With all the new power, perhaps you can tear down one of those dams afterall.

I read your other post about the ship having to take on ballast water. Well, Im not familiar with shipping. But the ships will be importing Gas to be transferred to the pipelines at the Oregon site. Export of LNG is not allowed. Federal law has many requirements of ballast water, due to the aquatic life contained. It will not be dumping ballast water anywhere near the columbia.

Had you bothered to call, you would know this. The article about Grampa Foundren and Walter and Bush is not exactly newsworthy. Your lack of knowledge about cca coming here, is just as boring. Loomis went to Houston and persuaded them to SUPPORT the People in Washington and Oregon who would form CCA chapters. They have the model. We do everything else.
If you had bothered to call, you would know that too.

Just because cca did not sue over dams, doesnt mean they are not a problem. The harvest problem on the Columbia began in 1866. We raise our own money and volunteer our own labor. If you want to go fight the dams for another decade or two, knock your self out. You dont get to decide what the organization is going to do, as a single member. The fact that you want to focus on the Columbia River or Snake river dams, does absolutely nothing about any fishery other than the Columbia and some of its tributaries. There are about eight positions on the Washington side and they will work on whatever position they choose to, at their own discretion. CCA Texas and other states were cleaning up derelict crab traps, long before the Washington Chapter took a position to support derelict net and crab trap removal. Being late to the party is not a crime, either.

I personally dont care whether you support or join cca. The bulk of the population does not share your narrow view of CCA and it Founders connection to oil. Since when do they want to drink poison and not catch fish? If we had 10,000 members in this state, we would be getting more done than we are now.
We would raise more money, have more volunteers and we could work on habitat projects and other issues at the same time. Every fence sitter, you turn off, could be the guy who knows a powerful legislator or future president. He could be sitting on a wad of cash, to make improvements in areas that you would approve of. But, we dont know who is hiding behind that screen name. Lots of gillnetters around. Either way, you are not improving the fishing.

#576785 - 01/28/10 05:34 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

Federal law has many requirements of ballast water, due to the aquatic life contained. It will not be dumping ballast water anywhere near the columbia.

the new lng plant is trying to get water rights for 15 billion gallons a year, they load it into the ships as ballast water once they unload the lng, as far as the money they will spend towards salmon, if this plant didnt harm salmon they wouldnt have to spend anything, how real stupid are you ?

#576806 - 01/28/10 06:34 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

LB never disappoints when it comes to the dipsh1t's perspective.
Wonder how much CCA would send to make him go away?
The energizer bunny of dumbass.

#576809 - 01/28/10 06:46 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: Illahee]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

#576825 - 01/28/10 07:46 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Aunty
This is alot closer than you might think! And all I see this initiative doing is fixing alot of problems for LNG, when the terminal fisheries are gone so will be bouy 10. The coast guard isn't going to allow 1500 sport boats running around when these ships are in transit which is going to be about every 80 hours 40 if you include the return trip. The 59 million dollar for habitat improvement over 40 YEARS is a joke and I had Bradwood send me some of the projects involved. The only recovery I see here is going to come from elimating the commercial fishery and severely limiting the lower river sports. Of course were going to find out just how many impacts there going to need to run this terminal in a few weeks, dams and tribes aren't going to cough up anymore so it has to come from somewhere.

http://www.bradwoodlanding.com/content2033

#576842 - 01/28/10 08:22 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Perhaps his concern stems from the fact that CCA's actions in the Gulf states was ultimately advantageous to big oil.
Careful Aunty you wouldn't want to risk your winning streak on this one.

#576861 - 01/28/10 08:55 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Apparently its not discussed at CCA meetings, imagine that.

#576866 - 01/28/10 09:07 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

I really don't know one way or the other, but I wouldn't risk my "never being proven wrong on the internet" on the fact that CCA might be in fact working with the LNG interests.
It's not like they have any track record here in the PNW.
Have you looked into who their lobbyists are? Or who their lobbyists also work for?

#576872 - 01/28/10 09:13 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
violin cryriver stir woot NUFF SAID.....GO AUNTY GO

#576911 - 01/28/10 11:08 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: AuntyM

Many of us tried the "home grown" advocacy groups. Unfortunately, THEY DIDN'T WORK.

grin

And that's why they call you the internets "biggest gas bag".
Several home grown fish advocacy have dogged the federal government in court with law suits to forced the BPA to spill for smolt out migration.
I know it's not like winning a cake at the PTA, but it's real progress none the less.
Are we going to count this as you being wrong on the internet Aunty?

This appeared in the Seattle Times.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorialsopinion/2010867330_edit24fish.html

For healthy returns, juvenile salmon have to reach the ocean
Court-ordered spills of water on the Columbia River dam system are getting credit for helping ensure more juvenile fish reach the Pacific Ocean, where they can thrive and eventually return upstream.

Restoring iconic salmon runs in the Pacific Northwest has a corollary in the business world. Success equates to moving product.

Dramatic numbers of returning coho salmon to the upper and middle Columbia River, and equally impressive results for sockeye salmon in the Snake River basin, are directly related to quickly and safely reaching the Pacific Ocean.

Recent years of court-ordered spills at federal dams have ensured more juvenile fish are sped through the system and reach the ocean.

Michele DeHart, executive director of the Fish Passage Center in Portland, cites the role of spills in boosting fish returns.

Ocean conditions are a factor, but for fish to benefit they have to arrive alive and in good condition, DeHart emphasizes.

The elements that shape healthy fish runs are complicated and interconnected: habitat, hatcheries, harvest and hydro. Fish need healthy places to start life and return. Hatchery efforts seek sustainable numbers without complicating the recovery of wild salmon. Harvest has been curtailed and eliminated in line with conservation efforts. Hydro is shorthand for the dam system, and tensions over water for power generation and nurturing healthy salmon populations.

Spilling more water at the dams keeps fish out of the turbines, impacts water temperatures and reduces the need to transport fish around the dams. Faster migration toward the ocean gets credit for the success that is being measured and cheered.

Ocean conditions have been good, and hatchery programs were present and consistent in periods with disappointing numbers. High returns trace back in part to moving fish past dams.

Salmon in the Columbia and Snake River basins are reaching the ocean to compete for survival and return. Court-ordered spills have had a measurable impact.

Edited by freespool (01/28/10 11:12 PM)

#576920 - 01/28/10 11:30 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: Illahee]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: freespool
I really don't know one way or the other, but I wouldn't risk my "never being proven wrong on the internet" on the fact that CCA might be in fact working with the LNG interests.
It's not like they have any track record here in the PNW.
Have you looked into who their lobbyists are? Or who their lobbyists also work for?

If your theory is correct then SOS and Salmon for All are working for LNG interests, because they don't have a statement on their website denying that fact or nothing saying they are against it in any way, shape, or form.
How about some facts on their lobbists and the way they have conducted themselves over the years. Once a commy always a commy?
With that said jack LNG has nothing to do about Initiative.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#576924 - 01/28/10 11:39 PM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: Lucky Louie]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Look it up yourself, Todd posted it on this site.
Oh CCA just hired Kevin Mannix as one of their lawyers working on the ballot measure in Oregon.
Kevin poses a huge credibility gap, among other things he championed the campaign to call hatchery and wild fish the same thing.
This just keeps getting better by the minuet.

#576940 - 01/29/10 12:10 AM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: Illahee]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Freespool, you must be higher than a kite the way you are acting tonight. rofl

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#576955 - 01/29/10 01:02 AM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: Lucky Louie]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

You can't make up stuff this good. rofl

#576959 - 01/29/10 01:19 AM Re: AP's Version: Initiative would ban gillnets [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Wingnuts that sponsor ballot measures that make it possible for Oregonians to now spend more on our prison system than we do for education.
Although he has had no luck in being elected anything, but it hasn't been for lack of trying.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 807 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |