Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#577978 - 02/01/10 11:14 PM last sunday of the season
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
I posted this on the refuge but figured I'd post it here too.

we were due...

jberry and I had talked about it for awhile, we were due... for a number of things, a good hunt together, a band, a hunt with some wind, no ice... bottom line is we were due for a hunt that would have everything come together. It finally did, even if we had to wait for the last day of the season.
Thanks in large part to booger eaters in the Yakima Valley we felt it necessary to head out of town for the final day of the season. It had just gotten to be too much of a cluster up in our local haunts and we were tired of all the damn pintails, and mallards that didnt want to pay us any mind.
3:30 rolled around awfully early on saturday morning as i rolled off of my bed. Lane and Jon were mostly ready to go although the enchiladas and/or mexican hotdogs from the day before were definately still in mind.
The day started off very well. An impassioned speach by the refuge worker really got us ready for the final day(hey jon, who got hammered sunday night?) upon arrival the pond was loaded with birds. Lots of geese, mallards and pintails were making their presence known in the dark. We hustled to set decoys, and gather some brush for a blind but even working fast we couldnt get set up by shooting light. We finally got down to business around 20 minutes after legal light but for the first hour or so we just couldnt quite get the birds to work their way up to our blind. They wanted to tuck into the lee shore and seemed to make a U-turn about 100 yards before they got to us. it was frustrating to say the least.
The star of the day was jon;s son lane. the little turd( a term of endearment) was shooting the lights out. he was done quickly with his limit of drake mallards and a nice bull pin. All on his own shooting his 2 3/4 inch 20ga auto. Not just bringing 'em down, but stoning birds. as a side note, It has really been great to see Lane come into his own as a duck hunter the past couple years. i wont cry like his mom did this weekend, but seeing him work birds by himself on saturday, shoot his first limit last year and like a seasoned vet calmly shoot his Big McRae on sunday, has been a pleasure. :tu Nice work Meat. :tu
It seemed like I spent a bunch of the morning not even hunting but trying to reset decoys, help some other guys with their dog and retrieve birds. but when i finally settled down to try to shoot my own, it was with difficulty. I managed to get a nice drake widgeon and bull pintail right off the bat, but after that i had some serious issues. thankfully Jon was more than willing to shoot some back up and help waterswat for me. it may be his most impressive shooting. At one point, right after i got back from my dog retrieving, we had a single green head dump in. Jon called the shot and i proceeded to miss 3 times. my only consolation was that jon and lane also couldnt bring him down with their combined 6 shots and I was able to quickly fish a 4th shell out of my pocket, feed it into my BPS, pump it into the chamber and bring him down. A nice fat drake, banded in 2005 in Alberta. 10 shots, 1 bird. i thought we were better than that.
It ended on a nice note too. Jon waited for me to retrieve a hen I had suckstered and floated out into the middle. Madison and I took a hike to go get her but Jon waited to finish out our limits. Lane, was on shore with his pup and we had 2 birds to go when i got back. I shot the first single that rumpledumpskinned into the decoys and Jon made a nice shot on the second. A fist bump, and just like that, it was over.
Another season in the books, not the best ever but they all have their moments and sunday was exceptionally fine for us.

oh and p.s. - hey daryl. we're hunting it.:fp

#578319 - 02/02/10 11:26 PM Re: last sunday of the season [Re: D3Smartie]
Fish-Culture Offline
Returning Adult

Nice shoot D3, good choice, it is definitely nice having some "local knowledge". It was my 9 year old sons first year this year, and it was a great year of learning experiences. It really brings back some memories of making the same mistakes. But at the same time it is amazing how quick they learn. He went from a box of shells for one duck on the youth hunt to 4 ducks for a box his 2nd to last hunt. He ended the year with around 20 ducks, but somehow managed his first band, first drake wooduck, and a lot of great memories. Hes already counting the days till next year. He will be dangerous next year.

#578404 - 02/03/10 12:28 PM Re: last sunday of the season [Re: Fish-Culture]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Nice post. Looks like it was a lot of fun.

#579699 - 02/08/10 12:21 PM Re: last sunday of the season [Re: Rocket Red]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
As par, a great post. Brings back some memories for me as well....

Emptying my BPS with my cousin doing the same on a lone drake that cupped up and pitched in perfectly. We just scared him real bad.

Watching the son of a friend of mine not miss with his 20-bore single shot.

Emptying the sky of 3 wigeon crossing left-to-right with one shot and getting a complimentary "F-you" from my good buddy sitting in the blind next to me and my Chesapeake.

A nice ending to the chapter. Thanks for sharing the pixels and prose.....

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 836 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |