THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#578550 - 02/03/10 07:42 PM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: eyeFISH]
GURU is king Offline
Parr

Just another example of bad management...

#578554 - 02/03/10 07:45 PM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: GURU is king]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

WDFW: Harvesting our way to recovery... one run at a time.

Anyone else diggin' how far along we've come doing it that way? huh

Maybe time to break out another game plan?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#578579 - 02/03/10 09:35 PM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: eyeFISH]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
What is funny to me is all the guys that assumed the river opened on Feb. 1st. That closed water was crowded as [censored] the day before the opener.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#578588 - 02/03/10 10:15 PM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Iwant2fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Whatcom County
Originally Posted By: Jason B
What is funny to me is all the guys that assumed the river opened on Feb. 1st. That closed water was crowded as [censored] the day before the opener.

It was open according to Brett Barkdull at WDFW, it was just never posted.

#578594 - 02/03/10 10:39 PM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: ]
Iwant2fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Whatcom County
Originally Posted By: salmosalar
Second, within 2 years the season will end on Jan. 31. This will pretty much eliminate the defacto wild fish C&R fishery that we enjoy in Feb.

Now ask yourself, "What is the reason for the hatchery?"

Where did you see that?? The proposal shows Feb 15th.

#578598 - 02/03/10 10:46 PM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: Iwant2fish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Apparently the reason for the hatchery...is the hatchery.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#578660 - 02/04/10 01:48 AM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: Todd]
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Just a question or two, with perhaps an absurd premise or two. And some cake.

Would operative MSY policy in eventuality of recreational restrictions lead to more netting if the hatchery were closed, as those foregone "takings" by recreationals would be claimed by tribals? (i.e., "If you're not gonna kill them, we will.")

Another question, more absurd: What, really, is the difference between closing the Nooksack to all but tribal (and, in the bay, commercial) netters, and closing the entire west side of San Juan Island to all but tribal and commercial netters? Are closures really enacted to protect a certain species, or to perpetuate "interests" profitably participating in the demise of that species?

The absurd icing on the cake is that we are all going to be protecting endangered species so that they may be more easily harvested for private profit.

Please please please tell me I'm wrong!

#578666 - 02/04/10 02:17 AM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: fishkisser99]
stickfisher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham, WA
The cake is a lie.

#578668 - 02/04/10 02:43 AM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: stickfisher]
Curt45lc Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everson, WA
this post even decided to make make me sign in.
kendalls hatchery program has solid smolt releases every year but this river is hammered so hard by the tribes. the layout is horrible, allowing netters to easily close off the river through overlapping nets in certain areas. i see this every year between maggies rock and the cable hole. down at marietta the same goes on. a gontlet of set nets with a pair of boats running a drift net down below. the nooksack has always been my home river, and i cant count the times around new years that i have seen nets with fifteen plus steelhead flopping around, just in the top few feet of the net in cable hole. that is where these fish are going. the hatchery run has been crap since the 05/06 season which was phenominal, filled the card with nooksack brats. that was the last year i caught a hatchery fish, whats changed? honestly tough to say but i see lots of early winter fish in the nets.

now the native run has been very strong, Feb. on the NF can mean steelheading that is unreal! just cover the water and you'll hook up all day. i see too many people just fishing holes and runs and with the river running clear, they are spooky, but stick a pink worm right behind a boulder or into a log jam, and you'll be getting slammed all day. that last week of Feb. its stacked between US bridge and Kendall, every year we pull days with 20 hook ups between me and somebody i take. it is a tough river to fish but since '98, it seems the wild run had been getting stronger evry year. some better than others but overall a steady increase. i'm not saying it couldn't be better but for big nates i've had better results here than the 'git or sauk.

#578707 - 02/04/10 11:37 AM Re: North Fork Nooksack River reopens to fishing [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
WaFlyCaster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
Stickfisher,

Unfortunately, I'm now of the belief that there is almost no path that will/can help the fish AND still allow much sportfishing. And that isn't because sportfishing is the problem.

The problem is that if the hatchery is closed down, which would help fish, netting and sportfishing will cease to exist in the same way they do now. The reasoning for the existing fisheries is to justify the hatcheries. The reason for the existing hatcheries is to justify the fisheries.

For example, as you can see by the WDFW's actions, they don't believe there are enough wild steelhead to support a CnR season. The only reason we're allowed to fish the Nooksack is because people are "fishing for hatchery fish". Anyone with much time up there knows that the wild fish outnumber the hatchery fish by a large number. So really what we are doing is living this lie.

The most frustrating part to me is that there are 2 runs of fish up there that the WDFW seems unable to find even though I could show them. The first are the wild kings that come up the NF in the summer. The other is the wild steelhead run.

Argh!

Youd have to be pretty blind to not find the wild kings in the NF in the summer.. Last time i fished it 2006-07 they were THICK. Rolling in some deep runs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1074 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |