Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#598992 - 05/08/10 11:27 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... ***** [Re: Driftfishnw]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I went down to the marina to help them deal with the behemoth...took three of us just to hoist it up well enough for a decent full length pic...Ryley will post up all the pics when he gets a chance, I took pics with his camera from the time I got there until it was in all the coolers...quite a project, to say the least.

I've got a big hunk in the oven as we speak...eating it up in about ten minutes smile

Extra-super congrats to Irish Rogue for his first few days of halibut fishing in his somewhat-recently acquired boat...three days, two 30's and the barn door...not a bad way to break in the boat!

The beast had an almost empty stomach...besides a bunch of already digested stuff, I found a rock about the size of a golf ball, a sea urchin (!), and both 9/0 hooks and the black label herring...all were in its stomach by the time we butchered it.

The cheeks were the size of $60 Porterhouse steaks!

Yummy. I got a tiny chunk, and it will feed us for three days.

Thanks, guys, for letting me come down and participate in the chop shop...I enjoyed it and could feel your excitement like I was there when it happened.

Larry, without bringing up a thousand other reasons why, native steelhead taste like sawdust, and a halibut tastes like, well...halibut.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#598999 - 05/08/10 11:46 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Todd]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Thanks for the help Todd.

75 inches total- 225 on the chart I heard. I don't know, It is just friggen huge.

50 inch long 5 inch thick filets smile

If you were fihsing for three days and only had two 30 pounders in the boat until this fish came along you would bonk it too.

Meat is awesome, I'll be drinking beer and vacuum packing until midnight.
Pics later.

#599000 - 05/09/10 12:03 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Sky-Guy]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water

There's a sucker born every minute

#599001 - 05/09/10 12:10 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: eyeFISH]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Maybe Sky Guy can BBQ a bunch for the WSC Banquet next weekend?

beer That's the spirit...

#599004 - 05/09/10 12:26 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Double Haul]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
If need be Ryley, I can swing over and take a couple of chunks off your hands. .. . that way you don't have to pack up as much. . . .

Don't you still owe me for that Maxi-Pad incedent? ? ? ?

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#599006 - 05/09/10 12:31 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Double Haul]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Congrats Ryley, beer
Nice poon shot, about where I aim. As for taking out a breeder, IMO she's been around 30-40 years and laid millions of eggs, she's done her job. I'll stick with the chickens though for dinner!
thumbs

#599013 - 05/09/10 01:08 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: AkKings]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Good Stuff!
See you at the WSC banquet.

#599014 - 05/09/10 01:10 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Doctor Rick]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Butt-Guy
Did Nelson measure it the second time? 72-75

Kajeekies kick butt

Edited by Achewter (05/09/10 01:16 AM)

#599021 - 05/09/10 02:22 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Achewter]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Incredible day! Art -- Todd typed 72, but it was absolutely 75". We measured it twice! We'll probably have to go document it from our picture (above) where you can see it on the floor of my Arima -- which has a 8'6" beam (and I'd guess maybe 7'6" foor... This thing was 6'3", 225. Essentially we caught an NFL Linebacker today!

Great job Ryley! So glad I got to share it with you, my dad, and Spud + Cathy + Mad Money/Anthony. Simply an amazing day.

#599025 - 05/09/10 03:11 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: IrishRogue]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
cool beans. Just need to give Ryley some crap. can't wait to see more pics. Herd the news shortly after it happened. Spud called Kelly then Kelly called me.
Hope he saved the tail for a mount or at least got a good measurement of it.

Never broke 100 my self so I can't imagine boating that beast. Gilled a 75 by hand once with no gaff, harpoon or net in the boat. Grabbed him by the throat and beat his head against the side of the boat for about 10 minutes before dragging him over the rail.
Congrats to all involved. Even Ryley. Something you all will remember every time you hear the words Big Fish

Maybe even more impressive is that Cathy was in the same area and didn't beat him to that fish.

Edited by Achewter (05/09/10 03:16 AM)

#599030 - 05/09/10 10:44 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Achewter]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Nice work Sky Guy!

#599037 - 05/09/10 11:58 AM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: ]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
EXCELLENT work!!!!!!!!!

That is one helluva flattie! Congrats Ryley and crew!

#599044 - 05/09/10 12:27 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Captain Q]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Nice. How long did it take you to get it in? How did you lift it over the rail?

#599047 - 05/09/10 12:45 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I at about two pounds of it last night...it was tasty. I'll be having more tonight smile

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#599048 - 05/09/10 12:49 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Todd]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/staff/stevek/recipes.htm

Here's some recipes from IHPC site, sounds like he's going to need a few with a 165#'s of meat.

There's a sucker born every minute

#599062 - 05/09/10 04:35 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: SBD]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Lets be clear on this, "I" only hooked the fish and reeled it up. "We", being Brian, Marv, and I "caught it". It's a team effort to the tenth degree, and landing a fish like this requires being prepared for it. Luckily we were ready to dance when this chance bit my herring.

We picked this fish up on a mound northwest McCurdy Pt. between Dallas and the Yellow can in 180 F.O.W. Fish bit a Black Label herring with a Silver Horde 10 inch Splatterback Hoochie skirt over the herring, 125# test leader off a spreader. SPUD gave us a pack of herring because we had ran out and that seemed to be what most were hooking up on. Last I heard I owe him $50.00 for that pack of herring he gave me out on the water wink

When the fish hit it felt like a bite but then nothing. I could feel a headshake right at the start, but then she acted like she didn't even know she was hooked. I did a few big pump and reels, and looked over at Marv to see if he wanted the fish. I had already landed a 30 earlier in the day and said I was handing any fish off to him if I hooked up.
He surveyed the situation...watched me pump up hard and reel down a couple times...with carotid arteries popped...and said no thanks... it's all you Ryley!

It took +/- 12 minutes to get color, at which point it looked like a 7x9 Karastan carpet in the water. We couldn't believe what we were seeing, and an eerie silence fell over the crew as the situational gravity set in, and we prepared to stab this fish with a harpoon.
Brian (IrishRogue) is a great captain in terms of preparing for whatever may come, and we've been talking about this trip for a couple months. He made a breakaway harpoon setup and a new gaff, and had it at the ready when the fish got to the surface. With a grunt and all his might, he drove the harpoon home perfectly right behind the gillplate and fin. I immediately loosened my drag and the fish did what she was supposed to do, which was sound about 50 feet in 5 seconds. She took the buoy under water for about 30 seconds while I retrieved her. The 50 feet of harpoon line helped stop the run..it was cleated off..we thought it was long enough wink

When the fish came back to the surface, I asked Marv to get my .45 from the cuddy because we weren't going to attempt bringing this fish aboard with any life left in her. I shot her right between the eyes once, which ended the fight pretty quick. At this point we just got her positioned so that I could hand the rod to Marv and both Brian and I could each use a gaff to grab her and pull her over the rail.

Silver Horde hoochie and a Black Label herring did the trick. The fish inhaled the bait 12 inches into it's gullet.

Here's a shot back at Edmonds:

A few shots while fileting the fish:

A little Halibut Assemblage. The fish had a Lamprey, a rock, an urchin, and a 45 slug in her ;):

A truly epic, incredible day, ...& a huge thanks IrishRogue for hosting me for the weekend and putting me on this fish. He has graduated from a greenback to an experienced old salty captain very quickly over the last couple a years thumbs ...by putting his time in on the water, networking with and listening to more experienced captains, and staying in the game.

Here's a shot of his 30# fish we caught Thursday night after only fishing for an hour or so:

Thanks 'Rogue!

#599063 - 05/09/10 04:50 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Sky-Guy]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Very Nice !!! Halibut Cakes everyday for a year...

#599064 - 05/09/10 04:53 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Sky-Guy]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Whoa. Awesome fish, Ryley! thumbs

I think that fillet alone is still about 5X bigger than any 'butt I've ever landed.

Never seen a PS 'butt, let alone hook one, but I did get to witness "something" yesterday that inhaled a 6-ounce jig, made a headshake, and snapped the line in about that fast. Right afterwards, Rico started swearing and saying something on the lines of "I knew I should have used a wire leader on that jig......"

Gotta love fishing with RVRRico! rofl Heard lots of great stories about Toff, too. rofl

I still don't think there are halibut in Puget Sound. I was just happy that the North River I was in was fully operational and that the motor didn't die on us.

Nice that you got to pull your Kimber on that 'butt. It would have never even dawned on me to bring it out yesterday.....not to mention that our boat didn't even have a gaff.

#599065 - 05/09/10 04:58 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: The Moderator]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Congrats on the fish of a lifetime Ryley! And congrats on a perfect harpoon shot Irishrouge! We herd about it on the water yesterday and was fishing about a mile SE of you. Suprised we didn't hear the pistol. Nelson told me the story on the beach last night (his version) and showed me the incredible pictures he took from his flybridge. That 22 Arima was looking like a very small boat with that animal in the cockpit with you guys. There was also a 163# landed into PT.

Good for you guys!

#599073 - 05/09/10 05:53 PM Re: Sky-Guy's 15 minutes... [Re: Jaydee]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
PS fish of a lifetime, great work boys!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, steely slammer), 1056 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |