Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#600355 - 05/18/10 11:49 AM Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job ***
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/65950

Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job, Taxpayers Will Cover Your Health Care
Friday, May 14, 2010
By Nicholas Ballasy, Video Reporter

(CNSNews.com) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said this week that thanks to the new health-care reform law, musicians and other creative types could quit their jobs and focus on developing their talents because taxpayers would fund their health care coverage.

“We see it as an entrepreneurial bill,” Pelosi said, “a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.”

Pelosi made the remarks while speaking at the Capitol on Wednesday to the Asian American and Pacific Islanders Summit.

#600366 - 05/18/10 12:47 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: fishhog]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Quote:
...if you want to be creative and be a doctor or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.
Would that make it better? Or how about:
Quote:
...if you want to be creative and be a policeman or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.
Maybe this?:
Quote:
...if you want to be creative and be a clergyman or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.
Is the real problem that she used the word "musician" and you don't feel the arts belong in society? Or you just have a genuine problem with helping fellow Americans realize their full potential?

#600370 - 05/18/10 12:57 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: goharley]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Maybe she meant quitting their DAY jobs??

#600382 - 05/18/10 01:28 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: Irie]
Mikespike Offline
MPD

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
what's the difference between a large pepperoni pizza and a musician?

the pizza can feed a family of four. smile

but will the pizza get health coverage as well? stir

"Holy hell son, you're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

#600414 - 05/18/10 03:40 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: Mikespike]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

It's best that we are good little serfs beholden to Corp America for the very air we breath.

#600459 - 05/18/10 06:16 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Whatever!!!!.What next??????.Good luck,
SZ

#600527 - 05/18/10 10:43 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Very easily just out of context. It could easily be that she was trying to tell them that they could now be able to get insurance on their own, rather than have to get it from a big company. With a preexisting illness, many people simply cannot quit their jobs. If they do they will never get new coverage. The way things get twisted by everyone, I rarely believe any sound bites, from either side.

#600536 - 05/18/10 11:45 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: Krijack]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Very easily just out of context...

OF COURSE the quote was taken out of context. It IS from the "Conservative News Service" after all. fridge

#600551 - 05/19/10 01:22 AM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: 4Salt]
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Pretty hard to take her own words out of context. Sounds like she is encouraging freeloaders to me. But don't worry about it the government is picking up the tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRY7Wvim8-8

Edited by Vic (05/19/10 01:22 AM)

#600621 - 05/19/10 01:31 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: Vic]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds, WA
The problem Musicians and other artists face is not health care... it is food, housing, transportation, gear/supplies, etc. not to mention an industry that is not based on talent as much as it is marketability.

Most aspiring musicians are young and have the ability to get public medical treatment as it is. Many aspiring musicians are on food stamps and government assistance right now.

Health care is not holding artists back from developing their talent, it never has... it is just Pelosi trying to gain some points and give the illusion that pandering to freeloaders is somehow catering to the "arts".

#600631 - 05/19/10 02:53 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: Marz]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

WHY would Pelosi be trying to score political points by pandering to "freeloaders" Marz?

They don't vote and they don't contribute to her campaign. What could she posssibly have to gain by doing so?

'Splain it if you would be so kind. wink

#600638 - 05/19/10 03:07 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: 4Salt]
grizz1 Offline
Returning Adult

If you choose not to work at all or can't work for some reason you can get free health care now in Washington and free food and free housing and free schooling and lots of other subsidized stuff. If you stay in a job you hate that you have just to get access to health care subsidized to varying degrees by your employer you can quit but if you seek gainful employment in a job that doesn't offer any health insurance you can't currently get coverage from the new plan just passed but in a few years if the plan is still there as passed you will have to have insurance or pay a fine. It won't be free. If the congress manages to pass the public option, which is not in the current bill, you might be able to get cheaper insurance or maybe even free insurance. Pelosi's comments may be confusing to some I suppose.

#600644 - 05/19/10 03:49 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: 4Salt]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

They vote, I don't know where you get the idea they don't vote.

If you offer to supplement someone desire to pursue music in lieu of having a "day job" you are going to gain some favor.

The same "giving a helping hand" spin that is always put on social programs. Even if / when these programs prove ineffective or are taken advantage of there is always some impoverished child they can hold up to render opposing arguments inhumane or cruel.

It is no longer the unwilling, it is the unable or (in this case) a suppressed artist that needs to be freed from the oppressions of a working class life in order to blossom the flowers of beauty.

Sure sounds better than "another free lunch"

Edited by Marz (05/19/10 03:58 PM)

#600650 - 05/19/10 04:21 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: Marz]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Prove that people on public assistance vote Marz. Show me some stats. I'm bettin' the number is VERY low... if any at all.

Once again, you're just makin' this stuff up... ain'tcha? wink

#600658 - 05/19/10 04:42 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: 4Salt]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

I am not going to shake down the internet to please you, I will stand by the facts I KNOW and have EXPERIENCE with, not just sack riding the local libs.

I do know (as I have said before) personally a good amount of people that receive public assistance on various levels that not only vote but campaign and protest.

My very own brother is a musician in Oakland and receives food stamps and whatever other public assistance he can to supplement his music career, when asked, his response is.. "Yeah, most artists I know are doing it because it is really hard to find a job, let alone keep a job when you have to leave for tours". Yes, he voted... for Obama...

So what is your experience, where are all the public assistance recipients you know that refuse to vote?

Tell ya what, instead of blaming this on Fox news or "wingnuts" why dont you bring the facts, why dont you tell ME why people on public assistance dont vote or provide some facts about public assistance resulting in not voting, instead of once again wagging your finger of disapproval in my direction.

I dont make anything up pal, I trust my own experience over hearsay though.

Edited by Marz (05/19/10 05:41 PM)

#600667 - 05/19/10 05:11 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: Marz]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

So we can blame your parents for breeding freeloading kids and expecting the rest of us to support them.

#600672 - 05/19/10 05:16 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: stlhead]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Yeah, since it is a gene... not a well honed art form such as comedy.

#600737 - 05/19/10 09:17 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: ]
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

You made the assertion Marz... therefore the burden of proof is on you to back it up.

Nice try at dodging though. You are good at makin' excuses... I'll give ya that.

I challenged you because I knew you wouldn't be able to provide anything but anecdotal "evidence"... and of course, I was right.

Ya just gotta love AntiM don'tcha?

Make her look foolish yet again (like that's even the slightest bit difficult) and she'll be nippin' at your heels... tryin' desperately to start an argument with you for weeks! rofl

Hell... she's made a freakin' career out if it. cowboy

#600857 - 05/20/10 12:54 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: 4Salt]
Marz Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: 4Salt
You made the assertion Marz... therefore the burden of proof is on you to back it up.

Nice try at dodging though. You are good at makin' excuses... I'll give ya that.

I challenged you because I knew you wouldn't be able to provide anything but anecdotal "evidence"... and of course, I was right.

Actually you are the one that said people on government assistance don't vote, not me... if you want to believe that, have at it.

I would imagine that being such a proponent for the "common man" you would have developed enough proof on this matter on your own but (apparently) you don't and expect me to provide it.

Truth is, you don't really want proof, and even if you got it you would rather spend hours debating the validity of it rather than entertain the idea you may have been wrong... your MO is like a broken record, stalemate the discussion with straw man and claim victory.

I will just assume that you are all in with Pelosi and the statement about musicians quitting their day jobs was rooted in the millions of musicians that are unable to reach full potential due to their concern with health care and that government provided health care will result in a musical renaissance.

Is this where I get attacked personally like Aunty M?

Some would call it predictable, not me... I call it reliable.

#600862 - 05/20/10 01:07 PM Re: Pelosi to Aspiring Musicians: Quit Your Job [Re: ]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid

I guess you're right in a way. You look like an ignorant gasbag bitch to normal humans.
That's just the opinion of every single person I've ever met on this board..................... rofl ................most all of whom I find to be quite decent BTW.

You're a fukken asshole KK.

+1, gotta love liberalism, all about tolerance.. Unless it doesn't agree with the liberals position.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, eddie, 1 invisible), 1031 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645401 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |