Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#600955 - 05/20/10 05:48 PM Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
http://www.bellona.org/articles/articles_2010/bp_info_blackout

This article starts off a little dull, but delivers in the end, read it through...seems legit to me.

Reading between the lines, it seems to me that BP is spreading these dispersants only to hide the true extent of the spill in the Gulf.

Me thinks this story is going to get pretty before it gets really ugly.
Pretty because all the news in the media will be whitewashed clean before you see/read it.

Really ugly once time exposes the true extent of this disaster and people wake up to what is really going on...

#600960 - 05/20/10 06:02 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: Sky-Guy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

They (BP, The Feds. Coast Guard, National Guard Media etc.) are working really hard at hiding how bad this is ......There is an all out closure and no access to beaches & wetlands. They are heaving truckloads of dead wildlife - covered with tarps onto barges to dump at sea. The toxic dispersing chemicals they used are outlawed in the UK. Also, it causes the oil to sink below the ocean's surface so the aerial views aren't that bad........

Reports of Tampa residents choking from fumes over the weekend...

#600966 - 05/20/10 06:16 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: Sky-Guy]
Loomis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I don't know if any one else saw the documentary on about the exxon valdez spill but the similarities between BP and exxon are so much alike its not funny. 20 yrs later and exxon got away with what amounted to a slap on the wrist and devastated many small communities. Hopefully BP and horizon have there feet held to the fire for the clean up and hardship they have created.

#600985 - 05/20/10 07:22 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: Loomis]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

OK, so I expect BP to downplay the extent of any damages resulting from their well explosion. What's up with MY federal gov't. and military doing the same? I don't pay taxes to be lied to or denied as much truth as is known. Seems like corporations really do rule the world. The government is just a puppet.

Sg

#600992 - 05/20/10 07:36 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: Salmo g.]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

+1 Salmo. It's totally unacceptable that environmentalists and reporters are being disallowed by our government from seeing the worst areas and relaying the truth to the public..

#601056 - 05/20/10 11:50 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: ]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
This is going to be so ugly that no one here can even begin to understand the fall out.

For the last 4 weeks the cheapest way of handling the spill has been the approach.

What it's going to cost in the long run will be staggering.

This mess is 10 times worse than you can imagine. The chances of it having a global impact on the economy is very real.

Rusty Bell

#601066 - 05/21/10 12:36 AM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: sykofish]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

My favorite quote read today:

""The Gulf of Mexico is a crime scene," said Larry Schweiger, president of the National Wildlife Federation, "and the perpetrator cannot be left in charge of assessing the damage."

#601070 - 05/21/10 01:07 AM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: Sky-Guy]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Sad to see the government siding with Big Oil. Really thought Obama would be different but his environmental record to date is less than impressive, not GW/DC mine/net/drill and shoot it all bad but not what I voted for. Guess a city boy from Chicago doesnt really give a [censored] whether he is repub or demo...lots of cover up and everyone sees it happening with only a token senate hearing or press conf to chide BP. This sucks...

#601071 - 05/21/10 01:11 AM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: Sky-Guy]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
It shouldn't surprise anyone that BP would underestimate and minimize...

What surprises me is the continued appetite for drilling... I mean, seriously? Will this stuff be a game-changer in our foreign oil dependence? Not a chance. There ARE legit alternatives (a topic for another thread) but people just seem to want to drill and spill.

See the results on this poll:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/04/29/scale-offshore-drilling/

#601078 - 05/21/10 02:01 AM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: IrishRogue]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Here's the skinny--

Not a single one of us will ever live long enough to see the planet fully recover from this. Probably not even our children. Maybe not even our grandchildren.

As fishermen, what price do you put on having an entire sea and all it's coastlines turned into a toxic waste dump?

The sheer volume already sea-bourne and growing by an Exxon Valdez every 4 days make it worse than all the ghost nets ever all combined, 10,000x worse than Exxon Valdez, Worse than all the dams, possibly worse than The Plague.

Even Chernobyl didn't fvck schit up this bad.

Humans really screwed the pooch this time.

#601079 - 05/21/10 02:49 AM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: Irie]
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Another "funny" part of this mess is the continued line of "we have never done this or that at 5000 feet deep". Well if you dont know how the fook to fix something that goes wrong in a deep water well it should NEVER be allowed to exist period.

#601080 - 05/21/10 03:45 AM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: summerrun]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Quote:
Seems like corporations really do rule the world. The government is just a puppet.

I try not to get political and this is why. How can this be happening without Bush being in charge. I don't think the US has had a real president sense maybe before I was born. Face it folks when the countries economy is tied to a runaway freight train and the oil companies are posting consecutive record breaking profits who do you think is using the money. That's rite WE ARE. Why raise taxes when you can let corporations over inflate the cost of something everyone uses then barrow most of the extra profit for little or no interest or maybe not pay it back at all. Just don't throw the corporation under the bus or they may cut off the easy money or worse yet want some of it back to pay for one of there F ups. The definition of Big money is when you reach the level that Uncle Sam comes to you and ask to barrow some then ask that you keep it on the down low. The corporations being successful and all are going to want the loan secured in some form or another. You know some funny looking president puppets to take the heat and blame [censored] on. Don't forget if profits get to low no money for Uncle Sam so if need be we may need to go to war or something to stimulate things a bit. We all want chit and were all to blame so no sense getting all bent out of shape over it. You wouldn't want to use your medical Insurance that everyone will soon need to have. Hey ya ever notice that Microsoft stock would split about every other time ya got your hair cut. I remember that. It was back when I first would get on a computer once in awhile because they were little tricky to figure out. Hell I even got ONE before the stock stopped splitting. Whats funny is they still get a [censored] load of cash for every operating system on every computer sold and now I seem to buy a new computer about every 2nd or 3rd haircut and use 2 or 3 different ones a day. Wonder what's the deal with there profits? Never could understand why Apple can't seem to catch up with em.

Oh well....Peace out

#601096 - 05/21/10 10:44 AM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: Achewter]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/21/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=C1

The Obama administration announced Thursday that it has ordered BP to release all data related to the massive spill, including environmental sampling analyses, internal investigation reports and details of the cleanup effort. In a letter to BP Group CEO Tony Hayward, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson told BP to post that information on a website and update it daily.

"The public and the United States government are entitled to nothing less than complete transparency in this matter," they concluded.

#601315 - 05/22/10 12:01 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: stlhead]
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#601344 - 05/22/10 03:19 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: John Lee Hookum]
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
The Coast Guard, enforcing BP's rules to keep media away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UbtuLjEyVA

The 60 minutes episode with one of the rig survivors is worth watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLJHTTOSkpg
Drill faster and don't worry about the broken chunks of gasket coming up.

#601362 - 05/22/10 05:51 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: summerrun]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I guess if you have enough $$$ you don't have to have a legitimate game plan for when things go FUBAR.

#601793 - 05/25/10 02:01 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: AkKings]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

The video of the broken pipe has been set to loop since Sunday, when part of the seafloor began spewing gas and oil around the well head. Experts now surmise that the well itself has been compromised, and that is how natural gas and oil have begun seeping out of the seafloor in close proximity to the wellhead.
These same experts now say that if the well itself has begun to break down, the whole "Top Shot" idea will never work, because the well itself is now leaking into the seabed well below the wellhead.

again, major media not covering this....its all covered up...

eek

#601807 - 05/25/10 02:46 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: ]
bacota Offline
Juvenile at Sea

This is BP's Katrina.

#601809 - 05/25/10 02:48 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: bacota]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Try BP's Chernobyl with a load of Valdez mixed in .. . . .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#601812 - 05/25/10 02:54 PM Re: Gulf Oil Spill-Information Blackout [Re: FishRanger]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Ryley, where did you see/hear that the video is looping? I've searched for and not found that?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |