THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 10 of 29 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#616914 - 08/18/10 12:37 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Well, page 10 and since this thread is entitled alternative commercial fishing gear, I suppose it's time to add a few of my thoughts to that subject.

Commercial selective fishing;
1) Purse seines
A) I’m sure they wouldn’t want to fish next to sport fishers (conflict with nets around boats) as well as we wouldn’t want to fish next to them or in front of them
B) Bouy 10 to a deadline for sports above deadline to Bonny for seiners.

This keeps both fishing and away from each other.

2) Fish traps
A)We can fish around them and in front of them. I suppose I could pretend to be a goalie and anchor in front.
Here comes the fish I catch and put into the box. Fish trap DENIED.

3)Trollers
Just another boat on the water depending on how many

4) beach seines tangle nets etc.

Commercial selective gear is going to be tested and some implemented regardless of what you and I say on here. Just add or delete to the list the areas and gear type in those areas preferred and see where it ends up.

Oh this ought to be good. what

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#616920 - 08/18/10 01:02 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

I would hardly call this selective fishing idea a done deal, perhaps politicians will now get involved and tweak the concept in favor of the sport angler and our region's economy.

#616927 - 08/18/10 01:31 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
So one question I had....

The states are in the mode of "TESTING" the selective gear.

What happens if they find the selective gear to not be effective enough at removing hatchery fish. In other words, what happens if the selective tactics aren't successful enough?

Do they stick with gillnets?

Keith

#616930 - 08/18/10 01:43 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

You make a serious mistake of overestimating the importance of sport fishing licenses for salmon and steelhead. WDFW can live without it. The majority of fishing licenses are sold to anglers who fish lowland lakes for resident trout about five times a year, at most. We hard core anglers cost the Dept. more than we pay.

Sg

There is more than licenses on the line. The state economy comes to mind.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00970/wdfw00970.pdf

I like collecting spread sheets. Would you be willing to share the break down of license holders in this state?

#616938 - 08/18/10 03:01 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: stlhdr1

even if this selective stuff works i have not read anything about discontinuing the use of gillnets,

Frazier said the pilot study is likely just the first step in a multi-year effort to identify – and likely modify – commercial fishing gear for possible incorporation into the fishery.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/release.php?id=aug2809b

also,

“Commercial boats could actually catch a lot more hatchery-reared salmon if we can find new ways to reduce mortalities of protected wild fish.”

reducing mortalitys and reducing the allowable esa take is 2 diferent things.

#616949 - 08/18/10 03:15 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

What happens if they find the selective gear to not be effective enough at removing hatchery fish. In other words, what happens if the selective tactics aren't successful enough?

Keith

The feds factor the gill net at 40% mortality rate on released fish.

If this years numbers comes close to last years on commercial selective gear tested, there is no reason to believe gill nets are needed let alone accepted by the fishing community. Along with the gill net 40% mortality rate is also the by catch factor.

Then there is new selective gear not tested last year in which I'm interested what mortality rate they come in at when tested this year.

Edited by Lucky Louie (08/18/10 03:53 PM)

#616953 - 08/18/10 03:25 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

LL,

If I had it, I'd send it. I'm just going on non-current reports by WDFW regarding recreational fishing distribution. Maybe it's from the USFWS 5-year surveys.

Stlhdr1,

Remember, WDFW can't eliminate or reduce gillnet fishing, cuz according to unsworn testimony, the rate of drug use and youth suicide in Wahkiakum County will significantly increase. You don't want that, do you?

Sg

#616961 - 08/18/10 03:34 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Keith

If this years numbers comes close to last years on commercial selective gear tested, there is no reason to believe gill nets are needed let alone accepted by the fishing community. Along with the gill net 40% mortality rate is also the by catch factor.

Then there is new selective gear not tested last year in which I'm interested what mortality rate they come in at.

The selective testing results I seen showed some low #'s of fish they caught and handled.... It was apparent there wasn't much effort in the study.

A person would think there's opportunity at some big #'s though in the right place at the right parts of the tides...

Keith

#616962 - 08/18/10 03:35 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Stlhdr1,

Remember, WDFW can't eliminate or reduce gillnet fishing, cuz according to unsworn testimony, the rate of drug use and youth suicide in Wahkiakum County will significantly increase. You don't want that, do you?

Sg

Too funny...... rofl

Keith

#616991 - 08/18/10 05:32 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I think that a well positioned fish trap and a purse or beach seine in the right locations could put up some good numbers. However, the return per dollar spent won't be as high as gillnetting. Nothing beats the low operating costs of gillnetting with its fairly good catching effectiveness, which no doubt is why there is so much resistance to changing. That and of course the drug use and suicide in Wahkiakum County.

Sg

#617011 - 08/18/10 07:23 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.

so if the new method has a release mortality rate of 10 percent and the esa take was still lets say 5 percent, how many wild esa listed fish will get saved with the new lower release mortality rate if they fish up to the 5 percent esa take amount before the season is closed ?

#617018 - 08/18/10 08:11 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
The idea of terminal fisheries sounds interesting. Seems like fishing in terminal areas would minimize non targeted by catch, both non clipped and other upriver fish.

#617019 - 08/18/10 08:13 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
WDFW is sure going nuts with an idea that as far as I can tell has never been proven as a recovery method and even the HSRG report clearly states won't recover anything but speeds up the process as new habitat is reopened..Want more wild fish take down the dam's faster..

The HSRG also concluded the hatchery and harvest reforms alone will not achieve recovery of the listed populations in this ESU—habitat improvements are also necessary. In addition, the effectiveness of habitat actions in this ESU will be greatly increased (more than doubled, under the HSRG assumptions) if they are combined with hatchery and harvest reforms

Edited by SBD (08/18/10 08:14 PM)

There's a sucker born every minute

#617038 - 08/18/10 09:25 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Keith

Like we'll just give up on gillnets? They dont need to fish in the river. If Oregon and washington banned commercial fishing, they would just wander north, or take the buyout. You dont think Alaska would sell more permits if we banned commercial fishing? They get 3% on the catch. The wild fish killed in the ocean are just like the dead ones in the river, only a little smaller. Thats the crazy part. These clowns go after the herring and sardines, (food source) catch fish that are not mature, catch lower 48 fish that are not mature and have to catch more, to get the same poundage. If they fish near the terminal areas, avoid and separate lower 48 fish we get more fish and they are bigger. Bigger fish, same poundage less work. Christ we mights as well just eat the fking smolts. We can all switch to snoopy rods. Are you tired of paying for fish for Alaskans to catch and sell here? We should send them a freaking bill.

#617039 - 08/18/10 09:32 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

So how many springers do you suppose they catch?

#617045 - 08/18/10 09:49 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: freespool
So how many springers do you suppose they catch?

Im sure there is a trap here. I will buy you the scuba gear and you can follow them.

tell you what. Go trade the springer for all the other fish.

You keep the springers and they get everything else.

#617050 - 08/18/10 10:42 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

How many of our coho would you guess they harvest?

#617053 - 08/18/10 10:58 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Typical Barney.

Idaho fish
Washington fish
Puget Sound fish

Not just Oregon.

We also raise Tule kings for BC

#617125 - 08/19/10 12:54 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Grand Coulee Dam started being built 1933 producing power 1941.

On the time line we sort of jumped over the wild CR salmon that were caught by the walls of death in the Columbia to being caught in the ocean as well.

The marine factor is one of the components of where the 2% ESA which is established by the feds which in turn impacts the amount of encounters we can have on some of the CR wild fish.

Ocean caught wild fish still plays a role in what happens in terminal fisheries including the CR. Just because we don't see them being caught doesn't mean it isn't happening.

EDIT: After rereading the 62 page report by the feds,

After further review of the 10 CR chinook stocks involved, it excludes CR springers and Snake R. summer chinooks. So I'm updating this previous post.

#617144 - 08/19/10 02:55 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

You can add steelhead and coho to the list of foreign commercial ocean unexploited stocks.
So from No Head Just Lead post of "Alaskans and Canadians are getting all our fish", we have fall chinook, which a good portion are of Tule stock.

Page 10 of 29 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28 29 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |