THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 15 of 29 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#617674 - 08/23/10 04:00 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Jerry, funny you dont take issue with others who use that word. Do I think he is a dumbass? No. My fault for not taking the time to find a better description.

If you want to clean up the prison yard, go ahead its a big yard. Im sort of surprised anyone needed your protection, from little ol me.

#617678 - 08/23/10 04:07 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

According to some... no.

#617681 - 08/23/10 04:36 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
Originally Posted By: boater

the goal of the wdfw is to get more hatchery fish for the commercials so they can justify hatchery funding and once that happens there will be nothing we can do about it.

Some people on here must not be aware that CCA didn’t:

1)establish the 2% ESA mortality rate

2) if you believe the post above about getting hatchery fish off the spawning beds to preserve hatcheries

3)subsequently CCA didn’t cause the problem of having to rid the salmon off the spawning beds either

4)CCA didn’t allow gill nets with their 40 % mortality, by catch, and drop outs Etc..to be allowed on the river.

5)There is a solution to the possible protecting hatchery funding problem and that would be to commercially fish selectively ridding the CR of 40% gill net mortality along with the other aspects of gill netting noted above, and getting more hatchery fish off the river to try to protect hatchery funding or --just cut funding to hatcheries and forget about it.

Beautiful day out, so ---

i dont think you understand whats going on.

#617691 - 08/23/10 05:58 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Todd]
Hair Offline
Parr

Loc: Extremley Rightwing
Originally Posted By: Todd
Originally Posted By: Hair
When fuel shortages and pollution from cars were a problem, did we make less cars? Did we stop driving? Did we close off roads to save fuel?

Originally Posted By: "Todd"
Don't put in so many hatchery fish, and don't kill so many wild fish.

It's not so simple, not cut and dry like your example.

Yes, it is...if we want to do what we say, which is reduce the problems of overfishing and too many hatchery fish on the spawning grounds.

It would be refreshing if everyone involved would at least say the truth...fishing comes first, fish come second...instead of paying lipservice to the fish and then forming every single policy around the premise that first we will not stop or reduce our fishing, and then we'll see what we can do to tread water with the rest.

There's no reason to be so dishonest about it...anyone with half a brain can see it...may as well get it out in the open.

Fish on...

Todd

Todd,

Sustainable fisheries (which is in no way dishonest or misleading) can be accomplished using (and/or including) options other than reducing harvest and hatchery production. We are not bound by your narrow opinion to achieve solutions. "Solutions". The plural version.

How did we get there with cars Todd? We improved the engines for increased efficiency, the bodies for less resistance, made the fuel cleaner to reduce emissions, better tires, better design from top to bottom. Sure we could have reduced the number of cars, or blocked off roads, and yes it would have saved fuel or the environment. But it wouldn't have been sustainable now would it? Neither is a future dependent on reduced harvest and reduced hatchery production. Ideally, I'd like the solutions to have the same effect as reductions, and I think it's possible if we don't limit ourselves to narrow minded approaches.

#617692 - 08/23/10 06:07 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Hair]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Hair,

So how else would you suggest ridding the spawning grounds of hatchery fish?

Perhaps they should increase the hatchery limits in fisheries without ESA wild fish limits for sports fisherman? Maybe even NO LIMITS to sporties?? Rather than giving the excess hatchery fish to the selective Commercial fisherman.

There have been many days in my career of fishing that I cut a day way short or released bunches of hatchery fish because we had already limited the boat out...

Cut us sport fisherman loose to clean out the hatchery fish, I'm game...

Keith thumbs

#617694 - 08/23/10 06:09 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Hair]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
(19) The term ‘‘take’’ means to harass, harm, pursue, hunt,
shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, or to attempt to engage
in any such conduct.

I think any method tested and legalized S/C should be able to fit this criteria...Are we all ready to go there or are we still just playing little games?

There's a sucker born every minute

#617705 - 08/23/10 07:56 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1

i think weirs upstream as far as possible so we still have a decent amount of fish to fish over

#617711 - 08/23/10 08:33 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Whats funny is that an idea or angle to get more allocation away from the commercials has now turned into a (bowel) movement.

#617715 - 08/23/10 08:55 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

i think weirs upstream as far as possible so we still have a decent amount of fish to fish over

Although wiers certainly help, they're not a fix all application. For the early fall time I see them working but when mid fall comes with the rains and in the spring with the rains, I don't see them working.....

Keith

#617716 - 08/23/10 08:55 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Hair,

Perhaps they should increase the hatchery limits in fisheries without ESA wild fish limits for sports fisherman? Maybe even NO LIMITS to sporties?? Rather than giving the excess hatchery fish to the selective Commercial fisherman.

There have been many days in my career of fishing that I cut a day way short or released bunches of hatchery fish because we had already limited the boat out...

Cut us sport fisherman loose to clean out the hatchery fish, I'm game...

Keith thumbs

Ive got no problem raising the sport limits. CR springer allocation of ONE? is a waste of time. But the season would probably be cut in half.

Worse yet, how would we save wild fish from gillnets. Or should Idaho ship their hatchery fish down to youngs bay?

#617806 - 08/24/10 02:34 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
Hair Offline
Parr

Loc: Extremley Rightwing
Quote:

Keith,

Funny you mention harvest as a solution. How else do you think we remove them? It'll likely be harvest, segregating hatchery fish, making hatchery fish that spawn well and don't reduce wild fitness, or cut production.

I'm on board with boaters weirs as well. They too are more likely to see a higher return benefit for every recovery dollar invested. The idea to put them in a beneficial location makes good sense. It also makes good sense to put any near zero mortality harvest method above higher mortality fisheries.

#617812 - 08/24/10 02:54 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
UpRiver Springer Offline
Fry

Loc: Up the river
i dont think you understand whats going on.

I sure don't understand what's going on with CCA --

A co-worker in Vanc got this email invite:

######CCA Washington, in conjunction with the Clark County Parade of Homes, presents CCA Day from 10 AM to 9 PM. CCA members, friends and families will save $2 each on tickets into the event. Be sure to stop by the CCA booth outside of the entrance, to get CCA flyers and sign up your friends as members. Tickets are only $10 with the CCA discount. Come tour these beautiful homes, check out landscape and remodel ideas and make sure you check out the outdoor living space to see what is possible. There will be activities for the entire family, live music, fly casting seminar and much more. For directions go to www.ClarkCountyParadeofHomes.com.
Sponsored by - Building Industry Association http://www.biaofclarkcounty.org/
#################################

Even upriver hicks know the Washington Building Industry Assocaitions long history of anti-salmon,
anti-environment, anti-conservation lobbying.

Hard to believe CCA would partner with them.... just so they get $2 per ticket.

#617821 - 08/24/10 03:21 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: UpRiver Springer]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Its actually a very simple stratgey, x number of impacts availible for remaining habitat. Convice a bunch of people that there saving the planet by giving up their share for conservation and then distribute them between other non fishing user groups..

He who has the most gold rules..

#617825 - 08/24/10 03:36 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Boater favors the idea of a weir. His concept seems different than a suggestion I've made repeatedly, but it may be compatible. There already is a very good weir. It's called Bonneville Dam. Retrofit fish trapping and sorting facilities to the fish ladders, and you have a weir that is capable of live release of every single wild or unmarked fish that passes through. And hatchery fish can be sorted for any destination or disposition desired.

And Lead Bouncer, you still don't get it. On so many levels. I've explained to you before. And you still don't get it. Are my explanations deficient? Are you unwilling to understand? Or are you not capable of understanding? There's an answer somewhere.

Sg

#617831 - 08/24/10 03:44 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

And Lead Bouncer, you still don't get it. On so many levels. I've explained to you before. And you still don't get it. Are my explanations deficient? Are you unwilling to understand? Or are you not capable of understanding? There's an answer somewhere.
Sg

No there isn't..................

Keith

#617832 - 08/24/10 03:48 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Tribes could easily do this as this is how their shad fishery is conducted. So what would be the outcome if they did? Would lower river fisherys ramp up on the projected run.

#617839 - 08/24/10 04:16 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Boater favors the idea of a weir. His concept seems different than a suggestion I've made repeatedly, but it may be compatible. There already is a very good weir. It's called Bonneville Dam. Retrofit fish trapping and sorting facilities to the fish ladders, and you have a weir that is capable of live release of every single wild or unmarked fish that passes through. And hatchery fish can be sorted for any destination or disposition desired.
Sg

The thing is it wouldn't even have to be done at Bonneville dam, it could be done at a dam or two higher in the CR to give everyone a chance to catch the hatchery fish and allow them back to the up to the Klickitat that they came from...

Keith thumbs

#617842 - 08/24/10 04:33 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

That would work, moving more of the sport allocation above Bonneville that way if the run comes in short tribes would still get their half. But I still get the feeling they just don't want to give up their impacts, with all this talk about shutting down hatcherys and more habitat improvements its hard to blame them.

#617843 - 08/24/10 04:39 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Hair]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Hair
Quote:

Keith,

Funny you mention harvest as a solution. How else do you think we remove them? It'll likely be harvest, segregating hatchery fish, making hatchery fish that spawn well and don't reduce wild fitness

It also makes good sense to put any near zero mortality harvest method above higher mortality fisheries.

There is no such animal, hatchery fish are unfit for breeding with wild stocks, no matter if their F1 broodstock of F1000 mutes.
Also there no such thing as a zero mortality harvest method.

#617844 - 08/24/10 04:40 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

And Lead Bouncer, you still don't get it.

the only thing he gets is the mail rolleyes

Page 15 of 29 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28 29 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |