THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 17 of 29 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#618030 - 08/25/10 06:07 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Funny you would consider SAFE Areas as status quo, I can tell you from experience in the Legislature, commercials don't think that at all.
You seem to advocate a none scientific solution, with very real possibilities it will hurt sport fishing, with no scientific modeling that shows this plan will in reality help ESA listed species.
It appears to be nothing but a gut feeling plan, with no scientific bases what so ever.

#618036 - 08/25/10 06:23 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Wait... where's your "factual" basis that CCA is protecting the dams, power companies, and every other industry impacting the CR fish?

Yeah... that's what I thought. There isn't any.

SAFE protects gillnetters and their interests, just like freespool does.

Gillnets must go.

The lack of interest in the annual spill regime, zero organizational presents in Judge Redden's court room, that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I can think of more.
Those two facts shows either CCA is run by a bunch of idiots, or they don't really care what happens to CR stocks, and so far their agenda seems to be a stalling tactic on any real recovery efforts.

#618043 - 08/25/10 06:49 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
UpRiver Springer Offline
Fry

Loc: Up the river
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
Originally Posted By: Dan S.

Living in a house doesn't mean you have to support BIAW's agenda.

Well, whatever that agenda is, they have done a pretty good job of buying votes in Washington, on both sides of the isle, like the commercial fisherman, the power company, BIG ALUMINUM, BIG OUTBOARD, BIG REEL, BIG BOATS.

BIAW is one of our state's most powerful lobbies. Comparing it to boat builders and fishing companies is absurd.

Furthermore, none of those others is as rabidly anti-conservation as BIAW is.

Why would CCA associate with an organization that is completely and fundamentally at odds with CCA's mission? :

"According to an article in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the BIAW is Washington state's biggest lobby against climate change, open space, and other environmental legislation. According to the same source, the group's newsletter has gone so far to equate environmentalists with terrorists. [33]"

"The BIAW is unlike other business groups in Olympia according to environmental lobbyist Clifford Traisman. "They are to the far right of most business in Washington state," Traisman says. "They believe the free market should rule supreme." [34]"

In 2005, the southern resident orcas were designated an endangered species. In 2006, the BIAW along with the Washington Farm Bureau sued the government to remove orcas from the endangered list. [35]
The legal challenge was thrown out of U.S. District Court. [36]

In 2007, the group challenged the Endangered Species Act (ESA) that protects threatened and endangered salmon across the West. [37]

In 2009, the BIAW has been fighting environmental legislation such as solar water heaters in new homes. [26]

There's tons more about BIAW out there...

There's plenty of responsible businesses and organizations that CCA can associate with. Instead they choose BIAW; raising a lot more questions about CCA than how many $2 transactions CCA earned at the event.

#618064 - 08/25/10 08:46 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Hair

Sustainable fisheries (which is in no way dishonest or misleading) can be accomplished using (and/or including) options other than reducing harvest and hatchery production. We are not bound by your narrow opinion to achieve solutions. "Solutions". The plural version.

How did we get there with cars Todd? We improved the engines for increased efficiency, the bodies for less resistance, made the fuel cleaner to reduce emissions, better tires, better design from top to bottom. Sure we could have reduced the number of cars, or blocked off roads, and yes it would have saved fuel or the environment. But it wouldn't have been sustainable now would it? Neither is a future dependent on reduced harvest and reduced hatchery production. Ideally, I'd like the solutions to have the same effect as reductions, and I think it's possible if we don't limit ourselves to narrow minded approaches.

If you want to look at this as an anaology to cars, look at it this way...the problem we're trying to prevent is the problem that cars with no steering wheels and no brakes tend to go off the road and slam into telephone poles, killing those in the car...unfortunately, the solution we're talking about here, following the analogy, is to try and solve that problem by putting a cool license plate holder on the back...looks cool, but doesn't even approach the problem, much less solve it.

Originally Posted By: SBD
Whats funny is that an idea or angle to get more allocation away from the commercials has now turned into a (bowel) movement.

The problem, SBD, is that the entire point of the commercials going selective is exactly the opposite of what you just wrote...the entire point is to put more hatchery fish in the totes on the decks of the commercial fleet...not less.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#618074 - 08/25/10 09:12 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: stlhdr1

Although wiers certainly help, they're not a fix all application. For the early fall time I see them working but when mid fall comes with the rains and in the spring with the rains, I don't see them working.....

how bout this idea ??, it should not effect sportfishing,

If we were to place fish traps at the mouths of our rivers and a processing barge next to the nets, it would yield a much higher-quality product.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/CCA_Loomis_1.htm

#618083 - 08/25/10 09:41 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
rofl

Russian's fishing selectivly. rofl I know some guys that helped them get their King Crab fishery off the ground, it was like how much Crab do you want? Ok that will cost you 2 suitcases full of greenbacks and that was to the fishery's managers..

There's a sucker born every minute

#618124 - 08/26/10 01:38 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: boater

Although wiers certainly help, they're not a fix all application. For the early fall time I see them working but when mid fall comes with the rains and in the spring with the rains, I don't see them working.....

how bout this idea ??, it should not effect sportfishing,

If we were to place fish traps at the mouths of our rivers and a processing barge next to the nets, it would yield a much higher-quality product.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/CCA_Loomis_1.htm

I've got an inside feeling CCA's gonna crash.... And in a hurry..........

I'm not certain that I've met as many stupid people as I have with an organization..... It's sad really. Either CCA dissapears back to TEXAS or sportsman are doomed on the CR..........

Keith
Keith

#618152 - 08/26/10 11:08 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Dogfish]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
I would hope that all of teh folks here would take a few minutes off of this discussion and send an email to the WDFW about the proposed Neah Bay rules changes.

Take a break folks, send an email.

You don't think I would forget about the real world.
Sent e-mail awhile back.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#618155 - 08/26/10 11:23 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

I've got an inside feeling CCA's gonna crash.... And in a hurry..........

I'm not certain that I've met as many stupid people as I have with an organization..... It's sad really. Either CCA dissapears back to TEXAS or sportsman are doomed on the CR..........

Keith
Keith

At this time I could say how stupid some of the people in SOS are, or share CCA accomplishments to compare to yours rofl
Take your pick.

#618158 - 08/26/10 11:44 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Any other type of fish I could understand this but salmon are the homing pidgeons of the fish world. They can just move the target lower river hatchery stock down to the terminal fisherys and be done with it..

#618160 - 08/26/10 11:59 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: SBD
Any other type of fish I could understand this but salmon are the homing pidgeons of the fish world. They can just move the target lower river hatchery stock down to the terminal fisherys and be done with it..

not realy, they still need some to return to hatcherys so they can raise them before they move them to the net pens.

#618161 - 08/26/10 12:02 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Guess I ment whatever extra they want to give to the commercials, not the whole shabang.. beer

#618165 - 08/26/10 12:12 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

what i cant figure out is what the average sportsman who supports this selective commercial fishing thinks will happen to sportfishing ??, if people dont like to fish after gillnets with the measly amount of fish they catch how do they think fishing will be with new selective methods that take more fish plus still having the gillnets, this is a recipe for disaster when this happens and if it spreads to willipa and grays harbor, why is this so hard to figure out ????

#618168 - 08/26/10 12:26 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

i dont think you understand whats going on.

One point that sticks out from this thread is “what’s written on IF or PP won’t be the deciding factor on what happens on the CR”.

So what I understand is you have been;
1) writing before commercial selective gear was tested
2) writing while commercial selective gear is being tested
3) and you will be writing after commercial selective gear has been implemented.

#618179 - 08/26/10 01:03 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
UpRiver Springer Offline
Fry

Loc: Up the river

BIAW is to blame??? rofl
Let's post this again, because some of you need to get a clue.

I do need "a clue", as in -- I don't have a clue how charity that touts itself as a "conservation organization" would associate itself with a business organization that is proudly anti-conservation.

The same business organization that was recently sued by the State of Washington for fraud.

It just doesn't make sense. It's so plainly weird that you have to wonder if the CCA people that made the arrangement with BIAW, knew about BIAW's background and anti-fish lobbying? Or is CCA's leadership so personally wrapped up in Dino Rossi that none of that matters, and they'll use CCA to leverage his political campaign?

Either way, there's no shortage of good businesses to work with and CCA made a bad choice that reflects poorly on them.

#618182 - 08/26/10 01:12 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
Hair Offline
Parr

Loc: Extremley Rightwing
Originally Posted By: "boater"
what i cant figure out is what the average sportsman who supports this selective commercial fishing thinks will happen to sportfishing ??,

Because everybody on this forum agrees selective fishing in a mixed stock fishery is good for both fish and harvest, and it will be an integral part of future sustainable fisheries. I think supporters of these proposals believe there will be some benefit, even if it's hoping their good faith efforts will reward them. There's an obvious confusion between a tool (selective harvest), and the derelict use of the tool (putting it in front of other less efficient fisheries), an entirely different problem.

#618187 - 08/26/10 02:00 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: IrishRogue]
Hair Offline
Parr

Loc: Extremley Rightwing
Originally Posted By: "Salmo g."
Boater favors the idea of a weir. His concept seems different than a suggestion I've made repeatedly, but it may be compatible. There already is a very good weir. It's called Bonneville Dam. Retrofit fish trapping and sorting facilities to the fish ladders, and you have a weir that is capable of live release of every single wild or unmarked fish that passes through. And hatchery fish can be sorted for any destination or disposition desired.

The more I think about that the more I like it. Outstanding.

#618195 - 08/26/10 02:44 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: ]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

What will happen to sportfishing if selective commercial fishing methods are used?

Same as it is now. Following good ocean survival years, the sport seasons will be good and fishing will be good. Following poor ocean survival years, the sport season will be not as good and neither will catching.

you dont have a clue, do you even fish ?

#618218 - 08/26/10 05:11 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

what i cant figure out is what the average sportsman who supports this selective commercial fishing thinks will happen to sportfishing ??, if people dont like to fish after gillnets with the measly amount of fish they catch how do they think fishing will be with new selective methods that take more fish plus still having the gillnets, this is a recipe for disaster when this happens and if it spreads to willipa and grays harbor, why is this so hard to figure out ????

You seem to have quite an imagination coupled with your theories that I think I’m going to call “the bogey man theories.”

What you can’t see will definitely hurt you.

Most kids grow out of that stage, why haven’t you?

#618229 - 08/26/10 05:51 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

You seem to have quite an imagination coupled with your theories that I think I’m going to call “the bogey man theories.”

What you can’t see will definitely hurt you.

Most kids grow out of that stage, why haven’t you?

i guess basic understanding of the issue`s isnt one of your strong points ?

Page 17 of 29 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28 29 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |