THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 22 of 29 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#621016 - 09/12/10 12:04 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Doctor Rick]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I'm fine with selective fisherys if the numbers work, but it's the mentality that as long as your throwing something back your doing the resourse a big favor that's scaring me.

There's a sucker born every minute

#621034 - 09/12/10 12:54 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm continually amazed by the clear fact that so many folks can't, or won't grasp the most fundamental and basic tenets of how fishing seasons on the LCR, especially for spring Chinook, are set.

They are not set...ever...by the amount of hatchery fish harvested by a user group.

They are set...always...by the amount of wild fish killed by a user group.

Always.

Your allotted impact gives you 500 ESA fish to kill...4 to one hatchery fish to wild fish in the mixed stock...

50% release mortality in your fishery? Bonk 4000 hatchery fish, release 1000 wild fish, kill 500 wild fish.

25% release mortality in your fishery? Bonk 8000 hatchery fish, release 2000 wild fish, kill 500 wild fish.

5% release mortality in your fishery? Bonk 40,000 hatchery fish, release 10,000 wild fish, kill 500 wild fish.

The ONLY variable that changes relative to release mortality is how many hatchery fish you kill...the amount of ESA wild spring Chinook stays constant.

This is not rocket science, nor is it quantum mechanics...it's very, very simple algebra, combined with a very, very basic understanding of how fisheries work under the ESA.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#621035 - 09/12/10 01:00 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Todd]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Any manager from ODFW/WDFW will tell you the same, you try and pass it on and holy chit it's like your talking to a bunch of camel jockeys about burning the Koran.

There's a sucker born every minute

#621037 - 09/12/10 01:04 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer

Boater, we would not be addressing the issue if gillnets had 3% mortality. The lower the returns, the lower the tolerable mortality. You can bet, they will be picking away at our 10% before this is over.

Leadbouncer, what you said here tells me you dont have clue one as to how the fish are managed on the columbia, do yourself a favore and get educated on the matter.

#621040 - 09/12/10 01:30 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
If the DFW's were pushing the fantasy, I'd be especially aggrieved...but even they don't pretend that anything other than more hatchery fish ending up in commercial totes is the goal...why any sportfisherman would not only suppor this, but make up utterly ridiculous justifications for it, is beyond me.

The State DFW's do things all the time that don't even pass the straight face test, and not even they will pretend that there's anything beyond increased commercial harvest...downstream, and in front of us...as the goal.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#621045 - 09/12/10 01:45 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Todd]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

I used to believe that if more sport anglers would just get more involved in the process, good things would happen to sportfishing.
Now I think the average angler isn't smart enough to pour pizz out of a boot.

#621052 - 09/12/10 02:08 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Wickersham said the CCA isn’t insisting that gillnets be banned. “We’re not picking gear for somebody,” he said. “We want to see the tools out there so there are some options.

http://tdn.com/news/article_f6e0ac19-575d-5a9d-8c39-b203e6c92139.html

#621061 - 09/12/10 03:12 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Boater, its not the first time that has been said, nor is Ed the only person who ever said it. But since you seem to believe and [hang] on whatever is printed in the paper, you can have that riddle all to yourself.

#621082 - 09/12/10 12:45 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Boater, its not the first time that has been said, nor is Ed the only person who ever said it. But since you seem to believe and [hang] on whatever is printed in the paper, you can have that riddle all to yourself.

are you saying dont believe anything the cca puts out in a news paper release ?

#621213 - 09/13/10 12:55 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Im saying its not news. It was said in Blakes Committee in January.

#621576 - 09/14/10 07:18 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: freespool

I used to believe that if more sport anglers would just get more involved in the process, good things would happen to sportfishing.

i agree and whats interesting is how commercial fishing happy phil anderson and the commission have become, simply amazing.

Edited by boater (09/14/10 07:20 PM)

#622237 - 09/17/10 07:43 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

"At the end of the day it's got to be something we can all make money on," Frazier said

http://www.cbbulletin.com/393123.aspx rolleyes

#622399 - 09/18/10 07:43 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: freespool

Well said, simply amazes me how many red rubber noses are worn by those advocating some of these groups.....

Keith thumbs

#622469 - 09/19/10 02:24 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: boater

"At the end of the day it's got to be something we can all make money on," Frazier said

http://www.cbbulletin.com/393123.aspx rolleyes

Also states that:

This year's research has three main goals: evaluating whether and/or which gears can efficiently catch fish, the general condition of the fish and the extent of any short-term mortality.

The plan for 2011 will include a long-term mortality study and the development of an implementation plan that maps out strategies for investment, marketing, equipping, location and gear type.

Selective commercial fishing gear is moving in the right direction--- just like all good plans do.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#622520 - 09/19/10 02:08 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Selective commercial fishing gear is moving in the right direction--- just like all good plans do.

It's like putting on a wet bandaid.......

Keith

#622522 - 09/19/10 02:20 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1

Keith

We are not trying to stop an infection. We are trying to stop the extirpation. You cant have recovery without fish.

#622537 - 09/19/10 04:47 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Keith

We are not trying to stop an infection. We are trying to stop the extirpation. You cant have recovery without fish.

Sure you can.... You can broodstock the crap out of them, we're headed down that path already......

#622540 - 09/19/10 05:18 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

How much are willing to pay for a guides license?

#622642 - 09/20/10 12:05 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Keith

where has it been written that if they go to new selective methods they are going to kill less esa listed fish ?

#622661 - 09/20/10 01:26 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

There isn't anything written in any state proposals that switching to a commercial selective harvest method will in fact reduce the number of ESA mortalities.
Further there doesn't seem to be any scientific evidence to support it either, no modeling that shows any possibility of killing fewer ESA listed species.

Page 22 of 29 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28 29 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1395 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |