THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 23 of 29 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#622768 - 09/20/10 06:14 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
It will be a way for them to access the sockeye fishery which has been off limits because of the steelhead issue.

Edited by SBD (09/20/10 06:14 PM)

There's a sucker born every minute

#622795 - 09/20/10 07:53 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: SBD
It will be a way for them to access the sockeye fishery which has been off limits because of the steelhead issue.

It won't be long and they'll be harvesting them in big #s........ A prime fish bringing a prime $$..

Keith

#622965 - 09/21/10 02:59 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Illahee]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: freespool

There isn't anything written in any state proposals that switching to a commercial selective harvest method will in fact reduce the number of ESA mortalities.

i know but some of the slow learners thinks there is.

#622972 - 09/21/10 03:27 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: boater
Originally Posted By: freespool

There isn't anything written in any state proposals that switching to a commercial selective harvest method will in fact reduce the number of ESA mortalities.

i know but some of the slow learners thinks there is.

That's the entertaining part... As you read back through this thread you can see the Naysayers coming around. They're beginning to realize what this is going to turn into. I even think Leadhead is starting to get it too.....

Keith thumbs

#622975 - 09/21/10 03:55 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Any thing can be said in here the internet, but in the real world science will prevail, and that isn’t good for the 40%ers ----gill nets.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#622983 - 09/21/10 04:33 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Any thing can be said in here the internet, but in the real world science will prevail, and that isn’t good for the 40%ers ----gill nets.

in the real world the release mortality rate doesnt matter what matters is the actual amount of esa listed fish that are killed.

#622999 - 09/21/10 06:23 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Any thing can be said in here the internet, but in the real world science will prevail, and that isn't good for the 40%ers ----gill nets.

in the real world the release mortality rate doesnt matter what matters is the actual amount of esa listed fish that are killed.

Boater you stopped in the middle of the equation. Are you OK?
I still understand what you are saying.

Boater you haven’t shown any scientific basis supporting your support of gill nets hence Da Bogeyman Theories. Where is your science?

#623011 - 09/21/10 07:50 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It doesn't take a fisheries degree, or a mathematics degree, to know that 2% of the run being killed in the non-tribal fisheries is 2% of the run, no matter how they are killed...just as it doesn't take any advanced degrees to math out that if the commercial guys catch more hatchery fish, we will catch less.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#623015 - 09/21/10 08:01 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Todd]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
sofa king

#623020 - 09/21/10 08:14 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Boater you haven’t shown any scientific basis supporting your support of gill nets hence Da Bogeyman Theories. Where is your science?

i have no use for gillnets but i have less use for a more selective commercial fishery taking more fish than they do now.

#623173 - 09/22/10 04:04 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Todd]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Originally Posted By: Todd
It doesn't take a fisheries degree, or a mathematics degree, to know that 2% of the run being killed in the non-tribal fisheries is 2% of the run, no matter how they are killed...just as it doesn't take any advanced degrees to math out that if the commercial guys catch more hatchery fish, we will catch less.

Fish on...

Todd

How does that work again..........

But in reality it's cool. Sportsman concede on behalf of a group that thinks they know what is best. Sportsman keep conceding and conceding and I've yet to see our mortality rates drop to allow us more of the ESA take/hatchery fish.... That's the battle to fight and carry forward with... Not one freely giving up our hatchery fish....

For those of you out of the area that rarely fish the Columbia it's easy to follow along and agree with what they're doing but digging in a little exposes an almighty [censored] plan......

Keith

#623257 - 09/22/10 09:16 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: stlhdr1]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
Same thing is going on country wide, for instance the idea that if the government spends more money this will somehow reduce the national debt. If the fish and wildlife depts. give the commercials more hatchery fish it will give the sports more fish. What kind of logic is this? The ones who believe this are easy to tell, they keep repeating the same old slogans like eating elephants and getting hatchery fish off the spawning grounds. When you try to tell them that those "nasty" hatchery fish are the ones that they can keep, and most of them are stopped by weirs at the hatcheries, it goes right over their heads. These alternative methods being tested were outlawed THANKS to the gillnetters because they could not compete with them. If a gillnet can`t catch a fish above a seining operation, what chance do you think you`ll have with a cut plug and a rod? Bill

#623290 - 09/22/10 11:10 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: billjr64]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: billjr64
Same thing is going on country wide, for instance the idea that if the government spends more money this will somehow reduce the national debt. If the fish and wildlife depts. give the commercials more hatchery fish it will give the sports more fish. What kind of logic is this? The ones who believe this are easy to tell, they keep repeating the same old slogans like eating elephants and getting hatchery fish off the spawning grounds. When you try to tell them that those "nasty" hatchery fish are the ones that they can keep, and most of them are stopped by weirs at the hatcheries, it goes right over their heads. These alternative methods being tested were outlawed THANKS to the gillnetters because they could not compete with them. If a gillnet can`t catch a fish above a seining operation, what chance do you think you`ll have with a cut plug and a rod? Bill

Hey, Bill long time no see. Give up on the other board? rofl
More DA BOGEY MAN THEORY. eek2

Some people eat elephant and some people eat crow. What is your choice? moose

So you are voting for alt.2 on hatchery DEIS to cut about 1/2 of the hatchery fish?

#623361 - 09/23/10 07:00 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
billjr64 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: SW WA.
Hi LL, no i didn`t give up anywhere. Lately I prefer fresh tuna to elephant and crow. Getting near the point where I`ll switch from surf to turf. Fresh heart is sounding real good. Cutting hatchery production at this time would be a big mistake for WDFW. Too many fishermen have already given up due to regulations and lack of fish. This may spiral out of control if we`re only left with natives to fish for, there`s not many of them even with all the regulations designed to protect them. Here`s your boogey man, if hatchery production is eliminated, 95% of us will no longer fish, take that to your budget meeting WDFW/ODFW. Bill

#623377 - 09/23/10 11:04 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: billjr64]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: billjr64
Hi LL, no i didn`t give up anywhere. Lately I prefer fresh tuna to elephant and crow. Getting near the point where I`ll switch from surf to turf. Fresh heart is sounding real good. Cutting hatchery production at this time would be a big mistake for WDFW. Too many fishermen have already given up due to regulations and lack of fish. This may spiral out of control if we`re only left with natives to fish for, there`s not many of them even with all the regulations designed to protect them. Here`s your boogey man, if hatchery production is eliminated, 95% of us will no longer fish, take that to your budget meeting WDFW/ODFW. Bill

I haven't read anywhere that hatchery production will be eliminated and I hope you haven't seen that either.

With all the DA Bogeyman gloom and doom. Just hang in there like the rest of us.

I think there is going to be some pleasantly surprised fishermen around here when everything is said and done.

#623385 - 09/23/10 12:07 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

I think there is going to be some pleasantly surprised fishermen around here when everything is said and done.

i`d like to know what your smoking ??

#623395 - 09/23/10 12:48 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

I agree. This thread has rambled on from alternative gear to what you are smoking.

#623397 - 09/23/10 12:57 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

It would appear this selective harvest as a means for recovery idea is faith based.
Unless you contribute, or attend the meetings, you don't get to smoke the good sh1t.

#623478 - 09/23/10 07:13 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

I agree. This thread has rambled on from alternative gear to what you are smoking.

i bet you cant explain why anglers are going to be pleasantly surprised because they wont be.

#623900 - 09/25/10 03:12 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Has anyone seen any stats on how they did with the test selective fishing this year?

Keith

Page 23 of 29 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28 29 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1371 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |