Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62508 - 05/07/01 09:22 PM Going to Lake Chelan
Reel Novice Offline
Fry

Loc: Bothell
Any advice for having luck on Lake Chelan. Will visit Wapato Lake while visiting, that has been fun before, but any advice for the surrounding lakes would be appreciated! Will have a small fishing boat for trolling at my disposal! Thanks for your help!null

#62509 - 05/07/01 09:38 PM Re: Going to Lake Chelan
badboy Offline
Alevin

Loc: portland oregon
I had good luck at Chelan my first time out.
I recommend Rick Graybill's book on Fishing Lake Chelan. We caught 3 small lake trout near the "narrows" using a hot spot flasher and herring in a "crippled anchovy" bait holder. We caught them deep; over 300 feet on bottom.
You must add longer downrigger cables, 400 or 600 feet long. Electric downriggers are required; unless you're an idiot. Good luck.

#62510 - 05/08/01 12:25 AM Re: Going to Lake Chelan
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
For less deep fishing but still lots of fun the silvers in Mills Bay are about 30-60 feet deep, you can use a small clamp on downrigger. These fish were running around 12" last May and tasted great. Here's my report from last year:
May 27-29,2000

From Mike Carey

My boys and I spent three days in search of the lunker lake trout and Chinook that reside in this huge lake. I had to set up my boat to fish deep, rigging up my electric downrigger and swapping out my small lake-troll downriggers. We fished each morning from 6am to about 10am, when the wind would pick up and begin to blow us around (plus by then the kid's attention span was being stretched to the limits). I ran one rigger down to the bottom, going progressively deeper, starting at 100 feet and going to 230 feet. No deeper only because my fish finder stops at 240 feet. We tried plugs, hoochies, and large spoons. The second line was a small downrigger so it never went deeper than 60 feet, we used it for the kokanee and trout.

Had no luck with the big boys. No strikes at all. Even so, I'm pumped to try again. It was pretty cool trolling down so deep. The silver action was good. We caught several in the 12" range on small silver spoons and super-duppers. I don't like using gang gear as I want to feel the fight, but we did notice other fishermen doing well on silvers with gang gear. We did just fine without. The fish tasted great with a nice firm, red flesh. They bite very soft on the downrigger, but did hook themselves OK. We also caught a powerful 16" rainbow on a surface spoon 75 feet behind the boat. A wonderful time was had by all.

Good luck!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 821 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |