THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 25 of 29 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#625747 - 10/03/10 08:55 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Sg -
How does the FSC on Swift differ from the one on the Baker system?

Why is the Lewis/Swift a better candidate for re-establishment of Chinook than Baker?

Tight lines
Curt

#625750 - 10/03/10 09:51 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Smalma]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
OLYMPIA – With a strong run of fall chinook salmon returning to the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery, state fishery managers plan to transport up to 5,000 hatchery fish upriver and release them upriver above the last of three dams on the Cowlitz River.

Salmo no problem with trucking, it's the fact that at the same time were spending millions to switch over to selective fishing gear were also trucking hatchery fish to gravel to turn them into naturally spawning fish. Something that even 6 months ago if you would read the reports you would have been led to believe was impossible. Glad I didn't..

There's a sucker born every minute

#625847 - 10/04/10 12:55 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Smalma,

The Swift FSC is being sized for about 50% greater attraction flow, so larger size is the main difference.

I don't know if Lewis/Swift is a better candidate than Baker, but there are more accessible stream miles for spawning and juvenile rearing. Suddenly I'm having visions of enough Okanogan sockeye straying into the Lewis to start a run in Swift reservoir . . . too funny!

SBD,

I hope there's no inconsistency with attempting to increase natural salmon production and making commercial fishing more selective. The naturally produced fish are never going to support the high harvest rates that the hatchery fish can.

Sg

#625852 - 10/04/10 01:19 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Salmo g.]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

I hope there's no inconsistency with attempting to increase natural salmon production and making commercial fishing more selective. The naturally produced fish are never going to support the high harvest rates that the hatchery fish can.

Very true, but I can't find a working example of where hatchery salmon are commercially harvested using selective methods other than time and place, even the Colville fishery is based on that. The sport examples are just to keep the season open longer, the needs of the two user groups for economic purposes are vastly different.

Edited by SBD (10/04/10 01:29 PM)

#625858 - 10/04/10 01:34 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

SBD, I don't know where you get the impression that the selective fishery that the Colvilles are developing is based solely on time and place. It clearly is based on being able to release marked fish from a purse seine.

#625970 - 10/04/10 10:32 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: OncyT]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

I didn't say solely, but the time and place gets rid of alot of issues that the same boat with the same crew would have fishing down at the mouth. I believe this is what one of the speakers on the video is referring to when he says this won't work everywhere on the Columbia.

Edited by SBD (10/04/10 10:32 PM)

#625975 - 10/04/10 10:52 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

You're picking nits here SBD. Their selective harvest is based on the ability to release fish from the purse seine. I guess you can believe what you think one of the speakers means. I can, too. I believe he means that the release mortality will probably not be as low in the lower river.

#625977 - 10/04/10 11:09 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: OncyT]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Time to shut this down......the over and over bits are boring to read.

Enough people have voiced their opinions.....time to move on!!!!

bang, bang............now its dead!!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#625991 - 10/04/10 11:52 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: DrifterWA]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: common sense ave.
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Time to shut this down......the over and over bits are boring to read.

dont read it then.

#625992 - 10/04/10 11:53 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: OncyT]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Actually I've spoke with the fisherman from Cathalamet who own's the boat, and I'll leave it at that..

#626000 - 10/05/10 12:42 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Maybe you think we will be crushed if it didnt work. I doubt NOAA will lose sleep over it.

#626003 - 10/05/10 12:53 AM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Fast and Furious]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/boa/

Lead if I was going to throw money at project to reduce salmon impacts I would be on these sites. 5 million would have gone along way, the 175 million I've seen blown over the past 6 years with no change just makes me.. rofl I've worked around NMFS enough to know that when they want to cut something they will.

#626035 - 10/05/10 12:05 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

The Washington State governor press release regarding salmon recovery funds of $27.5 million and more funding for commercial selective gear testing.

http://www.governor.wa.gov/news/news-view.asp?pressRelease=1584&newsType=1

Part of the funding:
“Specifically, this funding targets reducing the negative effects of hatchery operations on federally listed wild fish and explores alternative commercial fishing gear, in a large scale study, to improve the harvest efficiencies on hatchery fish while reducing the total impacts to wild fish”.

To improve the harvest efficiencies on hatchery fish while reducing the total impacts to wild fish is a key statement.

I explained on the $27.5 funding thread how that could be done.

The short version is that WDFW is in the process to find out if the new gear will work in the LCR and establish a mortality rate which last year tests came in at around 1% for seines Vs a known gillnet 40%.Using this simplistic example , selective gear could catch 40 x more hatchery fish while killing the same amount of ESA listed as a gill net.

This would then be under the jurisdiction of US VS Oregon to decide on how this will affect the tribes up river and to figure out a reasonable solution for all parties involved in this continuous case of many years. Nothing is set in stone that commercials would have access to all these fish VS sports or tribes. Anything less than the 40X allocated would be a conservation savings of ESA listed fish that then would prove the Governors press release correct. To improve the harvest efficiencies on hatchery fish while reducing the total impacts to wild fish.

US VS Oregon will figure this and all the other variables out. Close to the beginning of this thread it was said that this wasn’t going to be decided on this or any other forum and ---that would be correct.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#626038 - 10/05/10 12:13 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

your really full of it today smile

#626040 - 10/05/10 12:14 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

http://www.governor.wa.gov/news/news-view.asp?pressRelease=1574&newsType=1

Here's another press release from the gov, we get the same ones down here..

#626046 - 10/05/10 12:51 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: SBD
http://www.governor.wa.gov/news/news-view.asp?pressRelease=1574&newsType=1

Here's another press release from the gov, we get the same ones down here..

What did that have to do with this thread. Here try this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

#626048 - 10/05/10 12:54 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
The Washington State governor press release regarding salmon recovery funds of $27.5 million and more funding for commercial selective gear testing.

http://www.governor.wa.gov/news/news-view.asp?pressRelease=1584&newsType=1

Part of the funding:
&#147;Specifically, this funding targets reducing the negative effects of hatchery operations on federally listed wild fish and explores alternative commercial fishing gear, in a large scale study, to improve the harvest efficiencies on hatchery fish while reducing the total impacts to wild fish&#148;.

To improve the harvest efficiencies on hatchery fish while reducing the total impacts to wild fish is a key statement.

I explained on the $27.5 funding thread how that could be done.

The short version is that WDFW is in the process to find out if the new gear will work in the LCR and establish a mortality rate which last year tests came in at around 1% for seines Vs a known gillnet 40%.Using this simplistic example , selective gear could catch 40 x more hatchery fish while killing the same amount of ESA listed as a gill net.

This would then be under the jurisdiction of US VS Oregon to decide on how this will affect the tribes up river and to figure out a reasonable solution for all parties involved in this continuous case of many years. Nothing is set in stone that commercials would have access to all these fish VS sports or tribes. Anything less than the 40X allocated would be a conservation savings of ESA listed fish that then would prove the Governors press release correct. To improve the harvest efficiencies on hatchery fish while reducing the total impacts to wild fish.

US VS Oregon will figure this and all the other variables out. Close to the beginning of this thread it was said that this wasn&#146;t going to be decided on this or any other forum and ---that would be correct.

Time to see how this one plays out along with the others.

#626049 - 10/05/10 01:00 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: Lucky Louie]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

It's a reminder of what happens when our goverment throws money at feel good projects without doing the math first.

#627457 - 10/12/10 12:01 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: SBD]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

ttt

#627464 - 10/12/10 12:18 PM Re: Alternative commercial fishing gears to be tested [Re: boater]
boater Offline
Three Time Spawner

Page 25 of 29 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |