Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#636233 - 11/18/10 05:10 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Ralph]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
60000 smolts is actually pretty small as far as hatchery releases go, you might get 1-2K back.

There's a sucker born every minute

#636267 - 11/18/10 08:52 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: SBD]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: SBD
60000 smolts is actually pretty small as far as hatchery releases go, you might get 1-2K back.

Exactly... a whopping 1500-2000 fish return.... WHOOPEE!

So what's the point of planting the fish in the first place? With so little potential reward at the end... at a time when NO FISHING is planned during dam removal and the ensuing 5 years? How are the out-of-basin fish to be removed from a system that is supposedly being managed for WILD recovery?

There's talk of a weir that could be used to remove these fish, but the weir cannot fish at all flows, and some amount of straying past the weir is bound to occur. You can't possibly believe they can get 'em all, so why expend the effort and $$$ to plant 'em there when it only obligates them to even more effort and expense to get 'em the hell out?

The equation stacks up like this.... virtually all risk and virtually ZERO reward. The risk benefit analysis clearly speaks against Chambers fish being planted in the Elwha.

If they are really that hard up for what little harvest benefit the program will produce, why not just plant those turds in another OP stream where hatchery steelhead harvest is already occurring. Damage already done, just put 'em there.

Just leave 'em out of the Elwha!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#636268 - 11/18/10 09:04 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Unless one anticipates selective fisheries. The Genie is out of the bottle Francis. This only the first of many things that will come with non lethal selective methods.

You will enjoy the conversations ( loudly ) for many years to come. grin

Edited by Rivrguy (11/18/10 09:04 PM)

#636391 - 11/19/10 11:57 AM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: eyeFISH]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
[quote=SBD]60000 If they are really that hard up for what little harvest benefit the program will produce, why not just plant those turds in another OP stream where hatchery steelhead harvest is already occurring. Damage already done, just put 'em there.

Just leave 'em out of the Elwha!

I agree!

Bill McMillan

#636410 - 11/19/10 12:42 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
I agree too

but what are we going to do have the elwah and the quill netting the brat producing rivers? at the same time. or split up 7 days a week? that's no good for those systems either...

#636451 - 11/19/10 02:40 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: hybridcx]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
Just remember there's something like 87 species of mammals, fish and birds that haven't signed on to the selective fishing plan. With all the habitat loss in other area's it might be really hard to rebuild theses stocks without the hatchery's..

There's a sucker born every minute

#636662 - 11/20/10 02:32 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: SBD]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Just got this message....will be interesting just finding out what the plans are for Lake Sutherland.

Mike Gross of WDFW's region 6 office.

"In response to your question regarding Lake Sutherland, a date has been selected, and location and time have been set for the public meeting to discuss the proposed fishing moratorium on the Elwha River and tributaries, including Lake Sutherland. The details, which will be included in a press release soon, are: December 15 from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm in Peninsula College’s Information Technology building, room M-125."

#636702 - 11/20/10 07:13 PM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: ParaLeaks]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Hello all,

I'm new here and mostly lurk. This is a very interesting thread and I am glad to have read the stats, facts, and people's opinions. I am still pretty new to river fishing (2nd year), but when I first came in my buddy told me of the fabled Elwah and 100lb salmon. I then told the story and showed her a glimpse of the Elwah whenever we drive home from Forks. The largest salmon that we have caught is a 15lb coho (wife) and it was probably one of the proudest moment we have had as a couple.

With that said, I do not see how they can not even give the fish a chance to do the dew themselves, before stepping in. Someone brought up the point of a fish kill with the silt that will result from the dam removal. How do they expect the wild fish to survive this? Especially since someone posted the dismal numbers that are returning right now? Do they have a means to mitigate that affect? Will they attempt a brood stock program? Have there been any plans to reduce or more heavily regulate ocean fishing? I have heard horror stories of MASSIVE accidental salmon catching by commercials.

Also I had a question if anyone knows the answer. Will the fish venture further and further upstream over time? Because I am under the impression that fish stay in the salt longer to develop more fat deposits to endure the further trek upstream. Could that be jumped started by moving wild fish up to these ideal spawning grounds? Also would that help reduce the loss from the lower rivers silt deposits ?

I haven't taken biology since 7th grade so please forgive any retardation or oversight in my questions and ideas. Thanks for allowing me to add my 2 cents to this discussion.

RB and Mara

Edited by RB3 (11/20/10 07:19 PM)

#636787 - 11/21/10 09:22 AM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: Todd]
coondog Offline
Parr

Loc: mason county
If all hatchery fish where clipped and them stopped at the hatchery when returning, then releaseing the wild fish to go on up river to spawn wouldn't this work. It sounds like the river needs a little help to restore the fish runs.

#636789 - 11/21/10 11:05 AM Re: New Elwha hatchery nears completion [Re: coondog]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Coondog,
They have put a weir across the river, but it will only withstand flows up to about 2,000 cfs. Once the dams come down and we get a pineapple express with huge amounts of rain, the Elwha will be up an roaring like the other OP rivers without dams. Good bye weir.....
Due to high water flows, I just don't see how they could reasonably expect to remove all the hatchery fish from the river at the hatchery.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 1100 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |