Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63987 - 11/24/01 09:03 PM South Sound flounder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any one fish for flounder out of Hoodsport area?
Catch and release Chum are fine and fun, but a dinner fish would be nice too.
How to, and areas would be nice.
thanks in advance

#63988 - 11/25/01 08:36 AM Re: South Sound flounder
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Hey BASSIN, if you are looking for flounder or other bottom fish I would suggest going to Areas 11 and 13. I hardly ever hear reports from Area 12 of people catching bottom fish. I don't know if bottom fish just aren't there or people just don't fish for them in that area, besides crab. Good crabbin' in the Canal!

#63989 - 11/30/01 07:50 PM Re: South Sound flounder
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
Hey there... I can't speak for the south end of the Canal, but the north end is lousy with flounder. I haven't fished for them specifically, but I've caught a bunch while salmon fishing. I'm sure you can target them and do well, but I'm not really sure how to go about it.

Here's what I've found: most of the flounder I've caught have been from the depths-- over 40 feet. They've all taken herring or baitfish imitations such as Coyote spoons. If I wanted to go out tomorrow for flounder, I would use a bunch of small cut plug herring and dead drift with the bait a crank or two off the bottom. Fish shallow, and you're more likely to pick up sculpin and greenling.

You might be able to do well trolling artificials such as small spoons close to the bottom in the shallows or anchor and fish bait such as herring chunks or clam necks (which I've seen recommended) off three-way rigs. Fly fishermen tell me that they've caught a ton of flounder in the shallows fishing over mud and sand bottoms.

While I've been fly fishing for searun in some of the bays, I've seen starry flounder quite a bit.

Hope this helps because few things are as tasty as shrimp-stuffed flounder fillets.

#63990 - 12/03/01 04:24 AM Re: South Sound flounder
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
absolutely go deeper than 40'. that is the key. get too shallow and you will get scavengers. i use cut herring or fresh squid and both have been working well in area 11. we run the bait on a 1 or 1/0 hook with a 3' leader with a 1 to 3 ounce sinker depending on depth and current (use as much as you need to keep it down on the bottom but go as light as you can get away with) and bounce along the bottom with the current, or slowly with the motor.

#63991 - 12/03/01 08:11 PM Re: South Sound flounder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replys, KSR and Kjackson, where would you put in at for those locations? I may get a chance this week to get out and all the water down here is runnning REALLY muddy.
thanks in advance. confused

#63992 - 12/03/01 09:02 PM Re: South Sound flounder
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
redondo has a paved back-in ramp with a $5 parking fee and des moines has a hoist for $20 in/out (if you've got a boat over 18' and dont want to back your truck into the salt, this is the best way to go) i usually fish the poverty bay area north to 3 tree point. i havent been down to the narrows in a long time, ive heard that is a pretty good place fish also

#63993 - 12/04/01 07:00 PM Re: South Sound flounder
kjackson Offline
Spawner

For the north canal, I'd launch at Salsbury Pt. Park just north of the bridge on the east side. They've pulled the docks, though, and it's a bugger in a north wind. The other alternative in the north is to launch on the west side of the bridge at Shine Tidelands. The sign says it's closed, but you can still launch. Not a great launch, but it works when the wind is wrong for the other side.

#63994 - 12/05/01 12:37 AM Re: South Sound flounder
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Another location - area 10, Jeff Head off the white house in 120 feet of water. I was pulling them off my line last month while in pursuit of blackmouth. Heck, they were coming up 20 feet off bottom to grab my hoochie/herring strip rigs. So they reallt taste OK? I've never much bothered with them...

#63995 - 12/05/01 11:58 AM Re: South Sound flounder
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Mike--

You know that sole you see advertised for something like $5 a pound? Or have you ever bought "stuffed sole" in a restaurant for $20? That's the same thing...

Keith

#63996 - 12/05/01 02:43 PM Re: South Sound flounder
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
When I was a kid we used to catch a lot of them around Bremerton. Back then they were wormmy and not fit to eat. So we fished for true cod and they were better eating than Sole. Just my two cents worth. Jim S. :p

#63997 - 01/01/02 02:58 AM Re: South Sound flounder
Jack Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Gig Harbor
bassin, here's a surefire way to catch sole. Get yourself one of those metal crappie rigs and tie on a couple of 2/0 hooks. Then put on the appropriate size weight on the bottom of the rig; usually a 3 ouncer is fine. All you need for bait is earthworms, just rig them on the hook like you would for trout and it knocks them dead. No kidding! I use Sole for bait when I am fishing for Lingcod and I have found this method to be the quickest for catching Sole. Use anything smaller than a 2/0 hook and you will be digging down deep in their stomache for the hook. Just let the rig hit the bottom and reel up a couple of cranks. Good luck!

#63998 - 01/06/02 03:38 PM Re: South Sound flounder
Big Al Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
Bassin

Used to fish down there alot. We have a house just north of the powerplant. Follow what the other replies have said. Get fairly deep and use herring or baitfish just off bottom. I usually would go a little north of the powerplant (about 1/2 mile). You can get some decent ones there but there arent alot around. There is a pretty good launch just south of the powerplant but I dont remember the name of it.

Good luck.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Big Al ]

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Big Al ]

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |