THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#640265 - 12/04/10 02:00 AM Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing!
stillyfun Offline
Fry

Loc: WA
Looking for ideas on what is the best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! I like to drift fish from the bank and do multiple methods, from bouncing off the bottom with a corky and yarn setup to doing some float and jig setups as well. Looking for recommendations as far as length of rod, line weight and power.

#640271 - 12/04/10 03:21 AM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: stillyfun]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
It will vary a bit due to how much you do each style (i.e., 80% drift fishing, 20% jig), how big of water you are fishing (small stream vs. big water) weight of jig/lure being fished, etc. etc,... a person must custom fit a rod to your particular styles/locations/species....

While a rod can serve multiple purposes, trying to do too much with one rod will lead to a lack of performance over all applications with said rod.

That said, *I* would say a good starting point for what you've mentioned, would be something 9'6", mod/fast action, 8-12 or 8-17lb, medium power. Tweak as necessary:
Drift fishing: little shorter, fast/ex. fast action, med/hvy power.
Floats: longer, slow/moderate action, lighter line, lighter power
Sidedrifting: 9'/9'6", with the 'float' qualities above.
Big water: longer/stronger
Small water: shorter/lighter
Boat: lighter (can chase fish with the boat)
Bank: heavier (often no room to chase fish, horse them to you)

#640295 - 12/04/10 10:44 AM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Twitch]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
The one you have in the dumpster after getting a nice baitcasting outfit smile

Sorry, couldn't help it. But my feelings are they are more a hindrance than an advantage in 95% of the steelhead game.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#640297 - 12/04/10 10:55 AM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Bob]
mikey b Offline
Returning Adult

I would go with a 9'6" jig spin certified pro. I believe it is the best all around rod out there.

#640308 - 12/04/10 11:38 AM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Bob]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: Bob

Sorry, couldn't help it. But my feelings are they are more a hindrance than an advantage in 95% of the steelhead game.

+10

Bob I hope you did that post while on the road!

#640315 - 12/04/10 12:06 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Dave Vedder]
Bent Rods Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chilliwack ,British columbia,C...
Good post Bob, not many instances where a spinning outfit will come close to a baitcaster in performance or presenting as well.

A good quality 10 footer with a low pro baitcaster is about the best setup for versatility, unless your using floats all the time, then its the long rod with the pin, or a long rod with a baitcaster.

#640319 - 12/04/10 12:13 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Dave Vedder]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
Bob I hope you did that post while on the road!

Come on Dave, You can do a one man show...

Sorry for the hijack... 10.5 ft 6-10 or 8-12 line rating

#640322 - 12/04/10 12:29 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: mikey b]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: mikey b
I would go with a 9'6" jig spin certified pro. I believe it is the best all around rod out there.

Yep.
X96JS.

Or something similar:
9'-6"
6-15
1/4 - 3/4

Edited by Direct-Drive (12/04/10 01:05 PM)

#640328 - 12/04/10 01:00 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Direct-Drive]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Gotta disagree with Bob and Dave. There are certain situations where a spinning rod shines over a baitcaster. Specifically, in my case, central CA rivers that run low and clear 90% of the time because most water goes to ag. Throwing 2-3 shot slinks (.250) and a small piece of roe with a baitcaster is a recipe for disaster. Life's too short for backlashes, plus, you cant get any distance with a 2 shot slinky unless you use a spinning setup.

That said, THE absolute best rod to drift fish with is the Loomis STR 1082s IMX. Amazing sensitivity, plenty of backbone, and perfectly balanced. Pair it with a Stradic 2500 and some 8 lb test and you have the best spinning outfit available for chasing Steel IMHO.

#640333 - 12/04/10 01:30 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
there is no ""best spinning reel" if your needing it for freshwater only. the gears are generally crap. they are distined to fail.

look into the saltwater spinners, they're built to handle strong fish with great drag systems and superior gears.

#640334 - 12/04/10 01:37 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Bob]
Kinetic Kwik Offline
Spawner

Loc: sum x wet,sum x dry WA 4 Life

#640335 - 12/04/10 01:42 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Bob]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Agree. Baitcasters are much more versatile when it comes to control of spoons, driftgear, floatfishing, mending, feeding line, etc. etc. and the list goes on.

#640343 - 12/04/10 02:31 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Kinetic Kwik]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
...and if you don't want to drop $500 plus on a DC reel? Then what do you do if you want to throw a 2 shot slinky to the other bank? Let's up the ante...what if the water is low and clear and you want to drift a roe cluster without any weight at all? If all ya got is your bc, you just eliminated that option. I'd say the spinning outfit wins the "versatility" contest.

#640346 - 12/04/10 02:38 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: cobble cruiser]
sidewinder Offline
Fry

Loc: bothell
There are many good choises, and waaay more opinions. I have a few fancy rods. I like them all. Many of them are Fetha Styx's, and I am very happy with them. I also have Sage's, Loomis's, St.Croix, Lami's, Shimano's, Okuma's, Berkley's (i like the old series one's) LCI's...the list goes on, and on...I think spending reallly big bucks on a rod is something a lot of guys have to do, but I don't believe its necessary. A nice Lami, or st.croix will do just fine, and they are getting expensive too. Nothing wrong with okuma either. This post probably is'nt going to help ya. Figure out your budget, and go start playing with them. Light weight, and sensitivity is going to cost more. If your hard on rods..Don't do it! lol

A 9'6" rod would probably be a good choise since you mentioned bobber fishing. For me..I would go 9' because I think long rods are a hastle in the brush. You can get most jobs done with a 8-12 wt rod.

#640403 - 12/04/10 08:00 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Bob]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout

I'm glad a lot of people believe this because it leaves fish for me! thumbs Overhanging trees, wind, summer sun, the seam on the other side, light lures, and light line are all situations where spinning rods excel, especially from the bank. I bank-fished a home-stretch of a local river yesterday for the first time with my 1084c and was surprised at how much less I could effectively fish because of overhanging trees. My usual spinning rod is actually 6 inches longer, but is much easier to flip adequate casts out with. Casting rods have an advantage with drag, but that gap is not as big as it used to be. As far as the gears being weak; that's true to a point (I had a big steelhead break a drive gear on a Stradic 2000 once), but the smoothness a quality reel provides allows you to crawl a spinner or spoon at the perfect speed, without losing sensativity, which is huge for a hardware angler.

As far as what to look for, I think Twitch's post is right on. Make sure you look at the Lami X96JS (more of a drift rod IMHO) and the XMG series. A lot of people prefer a shorter, faster casting rod for drift fishing and longer, slower spinning rod for float fishing.

Good luck!

#640407 - 12/04/10 08:30 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Wild Chrome]
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

I have two twinpower spinning reels an they will not break no matter what and have top quality drags! You get what you pay for!

#640413 - 12/04/10 08:55 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: sidewinder]
stillyfun Offline
Fry

Loc: WA
Actually I value all of your thoughts as I have a fair selection now, but as I fish longer (been fishing for 10 years now), I realize there is so much more that I can learn and that is what I value about our posts. What I feel I have clearly heard is that a 9'6" or 9' rod would be a good choice. I presently have a nice Certified Pro that is 9', but has a 15-30 line weight rating. It is a great rod and I actually caught a nice steelhead with it but not the best for steelhead. I also have a few 8'6" rods with one of them being a St. Croix and then I do have one baitcaster that is also 8'6" and it is a Shimano Clarus. I like them all, but I really have found that I am liking the longer rod for the fight with the fish once it is hooked. So all of your posts confirmed that a little longer rod is really what I am looking for. I also have a nice Shimano Saros as well as a Pflueger President reel, and a Abu for my baitcaster. I would like to eventually pick up a Shimano Stradic 3000 or something close to that in the future. Any other thoughts are welcome and of course we are all feeling the down economy times, so I am somewhat limited on funds, but I have found that if I am patient and watch all of the listings there are ways to get nice rods and reels without breaking the bank! Hoping all of you are enjoying the fishing and some catching too!

#640437 - 12/04/10 09:46 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: stillyfun]
mikey b Offline
Returning Adult

I have to disagree with anyone who thinks that spinning reels are inferior to casting reels. After fishing steelhead in eastern washington I can tell you that wind + light weight = backlasshes. I can understand how its convenient to get an extended drift but most times the extended drift isn't nescesary and can be a distraction.

#640478 - 12/04/10 10:57 PM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: mikey b]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
I like spinning for low water. Baitcaster for murk. Buy them both.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#640573 - 12/05/10 01:54 AM Re: Best spinning rod for steelhead fishing! [Re: Jason Beezuz]
tailout terror
Unregistered

The day I find someone that can cast their spinning rod 30 yards on a dime time after time I'll be sold. until then it's casting 90% of the time. Like the spinners in ultra low summer conditions for floats and micros but that's really all their good for with the exception of the big noodles for freedrifting big ole' globs of roe..... That said, x96 js if that's what you're after. I like the brother rod and feel as though it's the most versatile rod in my arsenal.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1012 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |