Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#645286 - 12/17/10 11:44 AM Fox news impartiality
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

By Paul Farhi

The Washington Post

WASHINGTON — Fox News Channel's top Washington editor ordered network reporters to couple any mention of global climate change with skepticism about data underlying such a scientific conclusion, according to an e-mail released by a liberal media-watchdog group Wednesday.

Media Matters for America said the internal e-mail from Bill Sammon, Fox News' Washington bureau chief, called into question the network's impartiality in reporting on the subject.

In an e-mail sent last December to Fox News' journalists after a global conference on climate change, Sammon asked Fox journalists to "refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question. It is not our place as journalists to assert such notions as facts, especially as this debate intensifies."

Media Matters, a group that tracks perceived conservative favoritism in the news media, said it obtained the e-mail from a Fox News employee it did not identify.

Sammon and Fox News could not be reached for comment.

Ari Rabin-Havt, Media Matters' head of research, said the e-mail showed Fox News was attempting to create a false impression of the climate issue by giving a "fringe" minority of climate-change warming skeptics equal weight with those who have concluded the planet is growing warmer.

"The overwhelming, vast majority of scientists who have studied climate change" accept the trend as fact, he said.

#645294 - 12/17/10 12:04 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: stlhead]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
As long as Fox doesn't play that gay ass music after a TD this weekend,I'll be fine.Good luck,
SZ

#645307 - 12/17/10 12:47 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
StinkingWaters Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Termite Country
Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
As long as Fox doesn't play that gay ass music after a TD this weekend,I'll be fine.Good luck,
SZ

Or in the middle of a drive.

+ many thumbs

#645323 - 12/17/10 01:29 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: StinkingWaters]
DBAppraiser Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: MA13
Media Matters, LMAO.

"Sammon asked Fox journalists to "refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question. It is not our place as journalists to assert such notions as facts, especially as this debate intensifies."

That seems reasonable. And BTW, a lot of the data is being questioned, which is a good thing.

#645325 - 12/17/10 01:36 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: DBAppraiser]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Yup and there are those that see evidence of aliens in rock drawings just not the vast majority.

#645331 - 12/17/10 01:53 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
No one...and I mean NO ONE...with half a brain thinks that FauxNews is anything but the PR arm of the right wing whackos...after all, they're the only "news" network to ever go in front of the Supreme Court and argue...successfully, I might add...that the First Amendment gives them the right to lie on the air if they so choose, that they have no duty to exercise any modicum of truth or impartiality.

For those who doubt that their favorite "news" channel did this, try Google.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#645387 - 12/17/10 03:17 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Todd]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
after all, they're the only "news" network to ever go in front of the Supreme Court and argue...successfully, I might add...that the First Amendment gives them the right to lie on the air if they so choose, that they have no duty to exercise any modicum of truth or impartiality

I would guess they just wanted the same rights as MSNBC

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#645389 - 12/17/10 03:20 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

See, you can keep saying stuff like that if it makes you feel better, but it just ain't true...MSNBC is clearly biased to the left of center, but they certainly haven't gone in front of the Supreme Court and argued that they have a Constitutional right to lie...one that they exercise daily.

Just keep on watching, and filling your head with nonsense...but don't come here and expect to lay out the nonsense without getting bashed around for it...

Fish on...

Todd

#645391 - 12/17/10 03:25 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Todd]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Fox News isn't impartial? Gee, who'da' thunk it?

#645395 - 12/17/10 03:32 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Salmo g.]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water

There's a sucker born every minute

#645412 - 12/17/10 04:11 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
MSNBC? Better to call it MSDNC. grin

#645417 - 12/17/10 04:22 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Rivrguy]
DBAppraiser Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: MA13
Name 1 major news organization that is 100% impartial. Hint: It aint NPR either.

#645428 - 12/17/10 05:09 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: DBAppraiser]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

"Name 1 major news organization that attempts to be 100% impartial"

Fixed it.

Under that criteria there's a long list which Fox isn't on.

#645435 - 12/17/10 05:38 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Todd]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Todd
See, you can keep saying stuff like that if it makes you feel better, but it just ain't true...MSNBC is clearly biased to the left of center, but they certainly haven't gone in front of the Supreme Court and argued that they have a Constitutional right to lie...one that they exercise daily.

Just keep on watching, and filling your head with nonsense...but don't come here and expect to lay out the nonsense without getting bashed around for it...

Fish on...

Todd

I'm just saying that at times the truth is meaningless on both. Somebody had to have sued Fox for a case to end up before the supreme court. How did the court rule the cae anyway?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#645464 - 12/17/10 07:11 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Sadly most folks only want reinforcement of their beliefs. If they are on the wacked out right, birthers, etc, they believe everything they hear on Fox, and God help us, usually parrot the "facts" back at us. (I saw the fact that Obama’s trip cost $200 million a day right here on this board.) Same with the loony left, . Damn few of us go out of their way to listen to what the other side says. I listen to MSNBC about 10 minutes a week and the same for Fox. Both are unabashedly biased. (If you doubt that take a gander at the last year’s worth of debunked lies listed on Snopes.)I would guess more than 2/3 are right wing propaganda) IMHO Fox is a bit more blatant about it. But MSNBC has an obvious bias too. If you can’t see that you just aren’t smart enough to form a valid opinion on your own.

I get most of my news from BBC, CBS and the Internet. Are any of these biased – of course. But they try to keep it under control. BBC is great for world news often covering news in other countries that no US news will touch.

#645473 - 12/17/10 07:40 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Dave Vedder]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I quoted Snopes once and a guy pipes up, "Aw, they're from California ! Can't believe a word they say !"

#645498 - 12/17/10 09:27 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Direct-Drive]
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
As usual, people who make the biggest deal out of what is on Fox only are going on what other sources told them about Fox. Watch it for a few weeks at different times of day and then make your own judgement about whether they are as biased as "your" normal "news" source.

If you have a brain that works, you realize that choosing what to report guarantees bias. Anyone who thinks that there are any sources that are capable of being unbiased or are even trying very much to be unbiased are clueless about human behavior.

If you actually watch Fox, you know there are liberals on most of the shows that aren't silenced in any noticable way. At least not as silenced as NPR did to Juan Williams recently. I can't say whether they intentionally attempt to influence a certain opinion or not, but my guess is they do just like NPR, BBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, newspapers, blogs and of course, search engines.

What makes some people so mad about Fox is they don't want anyone to hear anything other than their side of the story...they know that if there is a discussion and facts are brought up, they lose. Instead, they pretend that the only bias that exists in the news outlet is Fox which is just bs.

#645506 - 12/17/10 09:56 PM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: jimh]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Every once in a while I'll watch the BBC news for a different spin on the issues. Surprisingly enough, the news they deliver is fairly absent of spin.

I watched Fox News once. Had to stop for fear of getting ill. I also had the same reaction to Keith Olberman. Polarized views, one way or the other, suck out loud. BTW, Glenn Beck sucks slimey donkey dongs.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#645548 - 12/18/10 12:30 AM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

JG, I thought I made it clear above, but I guess not...

A couple of actual journalists at Faux News attempted to tell a straightforward story, one their bosses didn't like...so they fired them.

The journalists filed an unlawful termination lawsuit, claiming that attempting to tell the truth is not grounds for termination. Obviously, Faux News felt otherwise, and argued that not only is it grounds for termination, but that they have the Constitutional right to lie to tools like you who will eat it up and regurgitate it on the InterWebz.

The Conservative majority on the Supreme Court ruled that it is ample grounds for termination, and that lying, even by the media, is protected Free Speech (you know, that 1st Amendment stuff that the right wing loves to hate?)...and that if Fox wants to lie to dumbasses who want to believe them, they have to right to do so.

You watch Fox and believe it...you're the dumbass they were talking about.

Don't believe me? Try Google...it's free.

Fish on...

Todd

#645550 - 12/18/10 12:35 AM Re: Fox news impartiality [Re: Todd]
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
Try Google...you actually think their search engine isn't biased? If you think that, you deserve what you find.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 807 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |