Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#648852 - 12/29/10 02:42 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
I haven't wrapped my rod since I got married,It's a good feeling when ya know your rod's safe.Just sayin.Good luck,
SZ

You're married, ferchrissakes...why would you wrap it when the only reason it comes out is to take a leak or cough for the doctor?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#648859 - 12/29/10 02:53 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: Todd]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Todd,funny chit.But after being together for 15+ years and married for 10 of the 15 the honey moon is still going strong.The only rod wrap's needed for this guy say shimano or loomis on them.Good luck,
SZ

#648867 - 12/29/10 03:05 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
RvRWitch Offline
Egg

FInished my first Rainshadow rod last month. All you need is 3 stands such as ones in the picture above with the V indentation. A helpful tip is a couple of pegs sticking out of them to place a rubberband on to put downward tension on the rod (see link below). I bought the cheap motor/stand from Batson for $48, but you can rig your own if you don't have the money. I hand built 2 other stands to match height.

http://www.batsonenterprises.com/wrapping-machine

For the threat wrapper system, I just used the popular coffee cup + stack of books technique. Put the thread spool loose in the coffee cup, pull thread out and wrap it around the cup handle once or twice depending on the friction of the handle, then through the pages of the book. How many pages sit on top of the thread determines the tension on the wrap.

One note on this method is that the thread is coming from the far side of the rod coming to you, while most all purchased wrappers will have the thread coming from under your chin heading away from you. This makes a difference if you are a newbie and are trying to follow videos as it does mean you have to wrap opposite.

If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would do anything different. Of course, if you want to do a ton of rods, then you'll want a foot-pedal operated wrapper and one that allows for multiple spools (for thread weaving multiple colors).

Edited by RvRWitch (12/29/10 03:08 PM)

#648917 - 12/29/10 06:19 PM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: RvRWitch]
Batson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sequim
My first wrapper was a flex coat hand wrapper. After four rods I invested into the Rod smith aka Forecast Wrap Machine. I considered the investment pain management.

Really if you want the best Hand Wrapper all you need is two Forecast AL-Base two Rod Supports and thread carriage http://www.batsonenterprises.com/wrapping-machine then just buy the Batson Drying machine or Forecast and you saved a few bucks to start. The thread carriage rolls up and down the base like butter and the spring loaded fully adjustable rod supports are mint. At the end of the day your going to say I should have just bought the Forecast Machine trust me. I would start with the Batson Hand Wrapper and Batson Drying Machine then step up to the Wrap machine after that and pass on the Hand Wrapper to your favorite bud to try. Just Saying wink
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

#649011 - 12/30/10 12:33 AM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: Batson]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I have a PacBay wrapper which can wrap under power on the foot pedal and has a separate motor as a drier. The drier is crucial. I turn my finish coats by hand for an hour and then flip on the drier and sneak outta the room. Wrapping under power is pretty nice too. . .it's not about being in a hurry. . .just easier to get nice even tension and threadwork, especially on long runs. It's been pretty good to me so far. Good luck,

fb

#649329 - 12/31/10 12:29 AM Re: Rod wrapper advice? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
solducsinker Offline
Fry

Loc: forks, wa
i spend a lot of time on rodbuilding.org and rodbuildingtutorials.com. google rod building forums and you'll find a plethora of useful info on how to build everything you'll need to wrap rods. there are lots of good ideas for colors/techniques there too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 263 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645359 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |