THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#651099 - 01/06/11 06:23 PM Photographing fish that are going to be released.
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
I'm working on a Powerpoint presentation on photographing fishing activities.

When photographing fish that are going to be released, in cases where the fish may legally be held out of the water, I try to get my shots in
15 seconds. In some cases I might do another 15 second shot series after resting the fish for a few minutes.

So, my question is, what is a reasonable amount of time to have the fish out of the water.

I'd appreciate some serious answers on this.

#651102 - 01/06/11 06:29 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Sebastes]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
If you're holding the fish's head out of the water, I go with a lot less than 15 seconds...camera pointing at fish and angler, fish in the water, lift, snap, back in the water...mebbe five seconds per picture.

When I see a pic of a fish out of the water, I prefer to see water running off of it in the pic, if possible.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#651105 - 01/06/11 06:31 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Sebastes]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

5 to 6 seconds or less.. Considering how fast cameras take photos these days, that shouldn't be a problem.

Even if you can take fish out of the water, I think the photos with the fish's head in the water turn out the best.

#651113 - 01/06/11 06:59 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Driftfishnw]
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton, WA
Think of it this way: If somebody was going to take a picture of you after you tug-o-war'd for 5 minutes, how long would you want them to hold you under water? (Seriously)

#651115 - 01/06/11 07:05 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Audball]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
It's be ok with me...that NO pictures be allowed here, unless the fish was legal.

Edited by DrifterWA (01/07/11 12:02 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#651120 - 01/06/11 07:46 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: DrifterWA]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I like looking at fish pictures, especially if I can see the whole fish. I'd say 5 or 10 seconds tops then back in. I don't hoist them outta the water if it's illegal. If the camera's autofocus gives the fish a seizure when it bounces off of it, that can complicate things,

fb

#651124 - 01/06/11 07:53 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Todd]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: Todd
If you're holding the fish's head out of the water, I go with a lot less than 15 seconds...camera pointing at fish and angler, fish in the water, lift, snap, back in the water...mebbe five seconds per picture.

Yeah, I'd say 2 to 5 seconds for steelhead. Definitely not 15.

#651128 - 01/06/11 08:03 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Todd]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Todd

When I see a pic of a fish out of the water, I prefer to see water running off of it in the pic, if possible.

Good answer right here.
I would aim for 5 seconds.

For what it's worth, I would add....
I think that what works well is the photographer need to take complete command of the session and be very vocal as to what is needed from the fish holder. A vocal play-by-play from the photographer.
If the fish holder is a newb, then a little rehearsal is in order while the fish is being revived. Now is also the time for positioning in regards to background and lighting.

"OK, lift...turn the bottom out....hold that....got it."

The pics that I like are when the fish is supported by the "pectoral bridge" (not the belly) and gently held around the wrist of the tail.
With a feisty fish sometimes that is very hard to achieve.

So, I said 5 seconds, but in reality I have done that up to three times with plenty of revival time in between.

Edited by Direct-Drive (01/06/11 08:13 PM)

#651133 - 01/06/11 08:35 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Direct-Drive]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Gotta agree with most of the comments above.

How long outta the water? Few seconds, tops... as in single digits.

If you must get multiple shots of an exceptional fish and don't have a top-end camera with rapid-fire capability, remember to re-charge your specimen with a steady dunking while you are waiting for the first pic to upload to the card or waiting for the flash to re-charge.

Head in the water, head in the water! Lift only when the cam and cameraman are absolutely ready. ( BTW, in clear water, the head in the water shot is often more impressive than the lift/grip/grin.) Lift for 2-3 seconds (click) then recharge for 20-30 seconds or more before doing it again.

One more tip. GET IN THE WATER with your catch. Every one on this board is sportin' some kind of waders... some pretty high-falutin' ones at that. Use 'em! Getting in the water makes it MUCH easier for the cameraman to compose the hero shot (esp for all of you tall people) without having to lift the fish very far from its comfort zone. Also less likelihood of injuring the fish if you drop it.

For the guys that are afraid that the fish might get away easier if posed in deeper water, consider leaving the hook/lure/fly in the fish and passing off the rod. If you accidentally let go before capturing the shot you want, the fish is still tethered and can be easily played back to hand. I know a bunch of you are secretive about the "special" setup used to catch your fish, but I think having the goods that fooled the fish in the picture adds more character to the image.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#651144 - 01/06/11 09:22 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: ]
Fear_no_fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens
Originally Posted By: salmosalar
I go with 0 seconds.

The same, unless your going to keep a fish IMO it shouldnt be brought out of the water for any reason. You can get an excellent photo of a fish with half its head in the water

#651150 - 01/06/11 09:36 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: eyeFISH]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Yep, get in the water.....when you're in deep with the fish, I think that the pics look much better and the fish is easier to handle when you're not all bent over, kneeling on rocks, etc.
Sorry Doc, can't show the goods.
Just one of those things.....outa my hands grin

Edited by Direct-Drive (01/06/11 09:55 PM)

#651151 - 01/06/11 09:36 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Fear_no_fish]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
I like seeing fish shots, Ive never been big into killing any fish, so I have always treid to take my memories away in pics, they last a lot longer and I still find myself spending hours looking at shots from when I was a chubby little kid holding my first silvers.
I like seeing other people fish shots, share the experiance with those that dont get to go as often, share those mythical creatures that we are lucky enough to still be able to chase and make it past nets.
Hold the fish int eh water till you're ready, position it in the water for a nice shot, snap it and let um swim off. pretty simple....
Get everything preped while fighting and landing you can. Steelhead are hardier then people think, but still try and treat them with the most repsect we can.

my $.02

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#651158 - 01/06/11 09:52 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Fear_no_fish]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
The Canadians have done the most C&R research. Here's a link to a review of guidelines, based on research, from the Ontario Canada Ministry of NR:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/228125.pdf

And this is the study upon which time out of the water was numerically linked with death in rainbow trout:

http://www.cnr.uidaho.edu/fish511/Readings/Ferguson%20and%20Tufts%201992.pdf

This is from the Ontario C&R guidelines:

Handling and Photographing a Fish
• Keep fish in the water as much as possible to minimize air exposure.
• Never place your fingers through gills or in the eyes.
• Don’t hold heavy fish by the jaw as this may damage the jaw and vertebrae.
• Hold large fish horizontally and support its body to avoid damage to the internal organs.
• Use wet hands or wet cloth gloves to handle the fish.
• Have camera ready prior to landing fish to minimize air exposure.
• If possible, photograph the fish while in water.

#651164 - 01/06/11 09:57 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Fear_no_fish]
NW Wild Country Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Ditto what's already been said by Ripley, Doc, etc., and add a few more thoughts:

- The key word is "staging". If you're the guy holding the camera, it's up to you to conceptualize the photo, position the angler/fish and be ready with your gear (pre-focus, metering, etc.) before you say "go". Even if you don't have an auto-advance, you can easily take 3 good, unhurried shots in 3 seconds if you've staged it and are ready to shoot. Submerged, lift, shoot, shoot,shoot, back in the water.

- Somebody (Doc?) suggested taking photos in deeper water. I wholeheartedly agree. I like shooting in water that's deep enough so when I kneel or squat, I can get the camera at eye level with the fish. The most interesting steelhead photos I've ever seen were taken from just BARELY above the water's surface, shooting either straight at the fish, or very slightly angled up. This is nearly impossible to do if you're in water that's 8 inches deep.

-Under "general photo thoughts": Be aware of your flash. It helps to know exactly how your flash illuminates when you're photographing a subject with a reflective quality (i.e. a wet steelhead/Chinook/etc.). You have to have light to have color, but it's also awfully easy to "blow out" a fish by over-flashing or being too close when you use the flash. Know your flash.

JS/NWWC

#651170 - 01/06/11 10:16 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Wild Chrome]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

From a personal standpoint, I would just add that pics with the fish in the water are very cool. We're taking them more and more. Also, fishermen who care and are experienced can get a hero shot with the fish out of the water for less than 5 seconds. All you have to do is keep the fish in the water while your bud gets ready with the camera (hopefully the camera's out before you land the fish), then the photographer says "OK", you lift the fish, snap, the fish goes back in.

My partner and I both carry cameras so we can get it done quickly while the other lands the fish. (Actually, I'm still waiting for pics of my hen from yesterday. beathead) I have a remote control for my camera. If I'm solo, I'll set it on a rock just before the fish is ready and hold the remote (in a plastic bag) in my teeth. After I remove the hook, I hit the remote button, drop the remote in my vest pocket, and lift the fish.........in 6 seconds. Fish goes bye bye. At home, I rotate and crop the pic on my computer. They often turn out as good as if someone was there with me. You can do this with a self-timer too, but it's trickier because you have to be closer to the camera.

I do live in OR, BTW. I'd never lift a WA fish! eek2

#651176 - 01/06/11 10:29 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Wild Chrome]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Personally, I believe as long as the fish is fighting your hands to get free, he's got enough energy for a 7-10 second lapse out of the water.

But for me it's more important to revive the fish than it is a hero shot.... Get him back to life, then snap your photos...

Keith

#651177 - 01/06/11 10:32 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: OPfisher]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: OPfisher
Steelhead are hardier then people think, but still try and treat them with the most respect we can.

my $.02

I agree. I've landed fish, taken a few shots and let them go then gave the hole a rest and came back a few hours later and caught the same fish. Crazy as it may seem, I thought a certain fish on the Chilliwack actually fought better the second time around!

In fact, I was with Opie when he caught the same hen twice one day! That poor girl. smile

Edited by cobble cruiser (01/06/11 10:35 PM)

#651182 - 01/06/11 11:04 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: cobble cruiser]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Thanks for the thoughtful and well considered comments.

Since I use a motor driven dSLR most of the time, I usually have the photo in just a few seconds.

I always set up the foreground and background and fisherman's position before I ever take a photo.

I personally prefer to photograph fish destined to the Barbie which allows me more time for composition than C&R fish which are by necessity done very quickly.

I can knock out 3 or 4 frames in a couple of seconds on a C&R fish, but used the 15 seconds as a maximum example.

#651194 - 01/06/11 11:48 PM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: ]
Rudy Offline
Parr

Loc: Northern Nor Cal
I agree with Todd on this one. It's nice to see water dripping off the fish in the photo. A shot or two and then give them a rest in the drink. I don't think grip and grin pics kill these fish.

Don't discredit these creatures. We have all caught fish that have been mauled by a sea lion and still bit.

I think the key is not to pull on them like a wimp. Don't tire the poor things out. Pull on them like you mean it, and land them full of piss and vinegar.

#651231 - 01/07/11 02:42 AM Re: Photographing fish that are going to be released. [Re: Rudy]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Rudy
I think the key is not to pull on them like a wimp. Don't tire the poor things out. Pull on them like you mean it, and land them full of piss and vinegar.

Amen, brother! They should give you a shower when you let go. Also, don't fight them from above! All you're doing is helping them fight the current so it takes longer for them to tire out. Get your rear in gear and follow them! Pull their head cross-ways to the current so they can't hold and have to fight. That's the #1 problem I see leading to over-exhausted fish; fighting from upriver. The warmer the water, the more likely it's lethal. Add 45 seconds of suffocation for the hook removal and photo, and you have a dead fish later.

Doing it the right way is so easy,.............. beer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1141 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |