Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#653600 - 01/13/11 11:48 AM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: wildbill]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
If you get a raft, get a good trailer as well so you are always ready to fish.
Having seen guys inflating and assembling, deflating and disassembling their rafts at the launch sure doesn't look like fun. I'd sell my raft if I had to do that every time I wanted to fish it.
I use an American Whitewater trailer for my 14.6' Aire.

#653622 - 01/13/11 12:58 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: wildbill]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: wildbill
I have a 12 foot cataraft and will be upgrading to a 14 foot in two weeks I've drifted most of the west end river on the OP many times. I'd rather have a DB for fall, winter and spring steelhead/salmon fishing and the cataraft for late spring and summer trout drifting. I can drift the OP winters for summer trout/steelhead in very low waters. I used to think I could handle any water on the OP until a couple of weeks ago. I introduced myself to the bottom of the river via current and a rock. Other than hardware, the cataraft floated me down the river upside down until I could get out.
Bottom line is confidence. DB require more skill and catarafts/pontoons are more forgiving. (Except in my case a couple of weeks ago!).

Care to share the long version of the story?

Also, Stonefish is dead-on about the trailer. Regular assembly/disassembly should NOT be part of your regular routine.

-AP

#653630 - 01/13/11 01:16 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: wildbill]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Originally Posted By: wildbill
Bottom line is confidence.

Confidence kills. Respect rewards.

Be safe out there. wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#653633 - 01/13/11 01:30 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
wildbill Offline
Alevin

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
Long story:

I was on the Hoko with my Bro-in-law putting in at the fish hatchery. We portaged around the first part of the canyon about 1/3 of the way down, fished the calm waters inbetween the portage area and lined up for the next rocky section about 50 feet down or so. A large bolder is in the middle of the section and you have to manuver left, pointing your bow to the right where you don't want to be (The rock). There is about a 15 foot shoot that the current will take you around, then you have to point your bow hard left and paddle away from the room of doom rock wall and out of the shoot. I lined up to the rock, slowly pointed my bow toward it, back rowing as the current gently took me around. But...I turned the bow to soon hard left and the current pushed my stern into the rock--back flipping us upside down. The river was angry that day my friend! (Seinfield) There was ice hanging from the canyon walls and we were very cold as we made a straight line to the pull out. I lost a lot of gear, but we will live to fish again. What was interesting was that I've been rowing the rivers on the OP for about seven years in a cataraft and developed a high level of confidence that caused me to take the river a little more aggressive than I should have. The whole experience was pilot error. I'm thankful that I'll have more opportunities to fish the OP rivers, but with a whole lot less pride and a whole lot more respect!

#653651 - 01/13/11 02:28 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: wildbill]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
wildbill what kind of pontoon do you have?

Edited by Rag N Steel (01/13/11 02:29 PM)

www.badcatboats.com

#653658 - 01/13/11 03:10 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: Rag N Steel]
wildbill Offline
Alevin

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
I have a 12 foot two man ODC 1220. It served me well, but it isn't the greatest for what I have been using it for. The tubes are single bladder and the frame, although it has held up--is a little weak. It's been on every river over here on the OP and has given seven years of fun and it is still in great shape, but it's time to get into a more beefy cataraft (pontoon). I'd love a DB, but being an Arizonan, I was born without good rowing skills. The pickles I've gotten myself into would have been disasterous with a DB. I liked the ODC for an introduction cataraft, but in my opinion, the rivers up here need something more stronger. The ODC is a little loose in white water while the other products have a much more sturdy feel to them. It's great on lakes and calmer rivers, but not rated for waters over Class II. However, I've shot all the OP rivers that are "shootable" and it has held up fine.

#653678 - 01/13/11 03:54 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: wildbill]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I like wildbill's honesty.
Wildbill I hope you have many more fun years on the river.

#653685 - 01/13/11 04:02 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: seastrike]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Originally Posted By: seastrike
I like wildbill's honesty.
Wildbill I hope you have many more fun years on the river.

+1

Refreshing, isn't it?
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#653686 - 01/13/11 04:03 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: seastrike]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
If I were running some of the sportier OP streams, I'd be using a whitewater rated craft...ODC's are not rated for whitewater. Having heavy duty pontoons and a heavy duty frame that is securely welded together is a big deal, compared to light duty pontoons and the rubbery frame that comes on the ODC's.

For safety's sake, stick to lakes and flat moving water with those boats!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#653691 - 01/13/11 04:07 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: seastrike]
Rag N Steel Offline

Oh just asking I have one of Shawn Mackey's BadCats 10 foot. I know his 10 foot tubes are 21" diam and his frames are top notch built solid. I know the odc are so so but i know a lot of people that bought them say they wish they saved up and bought a skookum or badcat. I love mine just need to find a buddy to float pontoons with.

2 people on a 20" 12' tube in white water seems like it would run deep and be very tippy
21" 10' is perfect for 1 person sits real high in water. Wish i would have gone 12' though so I could run a bigger cooler and more gear but that will be down the road soon.

Edited by Rag N Steel (01/13/11 04:15 PM)

www.badcatboats.com

#653696 - 01/13/11 04:11 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: Rag N Steel]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Rag N Steel
Oh just asking I have one of Shawn Mackey's BadCats 10 foot. I know his 10 foot tubes are 21" diam and his frames are top notch built solid. I know the odc are so so but i know a lot of people that bought them say they wish they saved up and bought a skookum or badcat. I love mine just need to find a buddy to float pontoons with.

I hope to have one later this year, maybe we can link up. Im in Puyallup

#653698 - 01/13/11 04:13 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: RB3]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
BadCat = whitewater rated boat smile

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#653701 - 01/13/11 04:18 PM Re: Raft vs DB vs Pontoon [Re: Todd]
Rag N Steel Offline

heres a link to one of his older boats and frames for sale WORTH it.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/2154798562.html
this shouldnt last long if not all ready gone

www.badcatboats.com

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, 1 invisible), 328 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645389 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |