Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65483 - 03/26/02 11:50 AM garbage
Banock Offline
Parr

Loc: Oakville, Wa.
Stacie,
FishinFellaS, got me thinking, (thank you sir), could the department place garbage cans at the boat launch sites, IF, volunteers emptied them on say, a weekly basis? I belong to several fishing clubs that would probably volunteer for this, and would absorb the cost of disposing of the garbage. Just a thought.
Banock

#65484 - 03/26/02 12:31 PM Re: garbage
Banock Offline
Parr

The wife just had an idea, maybe an "adopt-a-launch" program. Just a thought.
Banock

#65485 - 03/26/02 03:02 PM Re: garbage
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Excellent ideas Banock.

I think if nothing else, we should all agree to bring an extra trash bag (large plastic type) and plan on spending 15min to 1/2hr picking up trash each type we visit a lake/river.

I'm as sick of the slobs out there as anyone else. And plan to be more proactive this year in the following areas:

RESPECTFULLY educating others
Reporting violations
Cleaning up mine and others messes

Keep the good ideas flowing!!

#65486 - 03/26/02 03:12 PM Re: garbage
Banock Offline
Parr

I usually only work about 10 lakes (fish), and am willing to try to organize a cleanup party on those lakes, (pull in the kids to, this might help as they can jump the adults). When I taught Hunters Ed. this really worked, the kids always questioned the adults ethics when they saw someone doing what they had been told not to do. This might lead to an "Adopt-A-Lake" program. LOL. Later
Banock

#65487 - 03/26/02 03:54 PM Re: garbage
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I don't mind picking up a few things that people leave behind. But you start doing it on a regular basis and the slobs that you pick up afer will keep spreading their garbage around.
There's got to be a better way to teach people not to litter. Or you need some litter police to give out some stiffer fines.

#65488 - 03/26/02 04:50 PM Re: garbage
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

I've seen it work both ways. When people see an average 'joe' like themselves picking up trash, they often realize that they should be more careful and may even start helping out.

Now there will always be some slobs that don't care, but I think if each of us tries to help out, the problem can only get better. Being a good citezen can be contagious, people just need someone to set the example.

My regular lakes/rivers are: Rattlesnake, Pine, Sammamish, Meridian, and maybe Alice and a few of the 'old weyerhauser' lakes around N Bend. If you see me with my white pickup and green canoe, look for me picking up trash before I leave. Also, I'll do my part to report litter and fishing regulation violators. Anyone else going to make that kind of commitment?

#65489 - 03/26/02 05:39 PM Re: garbage
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I'm down with that. My experience is when people see me picking up litter, the first thing they say is "Isn't that a nice thing to do". Then maybe, just maybe, you've planted a seed that will grow - perhaps the next time they will be the person picking junk up. I know this all sounds a little corny but I believe in it. As far as the slobs that will keep spreading the garbage around - lets face it, they're going to do it until they get a big fine. And even then they may still do to spite "The Man". These people aren't worth our energy to even think about. There will always be those that do what they can for others, and those that need others to do for them. Be thankful you have the spark of decency to know the difference. Bancock, I like your idea!

#65490 - 03/26/02 05:55 PM Re: garbage
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
PhishPhreak:
I'm with you. I always take back more than I take in. Unfortunately, I can only carry so much and would rather spend the time fishing. I could spend all day picking up stuff without wetting a line. How about the groups that hit the Middle Fork sand bars, party hard and light off fireworks on the 4th!? I think what is really sad is that most groups have young kids with them. The kids are taught by example - If you bring it leave it! They grow up to believe that is how you fish or camp.
All each of us can do, is what we can. I have spent time wandering the shores of Fenwick picking up all sorts of stuff - some I'd rather not even mention.....

#65491 - 03/26/02 06:00 PM Re: garbage
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Micro - I see you've been fortunate enough to discover the rare fresh water jellyfish smile

#65492 - 03/26/02 06:46 PM Re: garbage
Stacie L. Kelsey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver
We have an Adopt-an-Access Site Program where groups are registered volunteers with the Department and assist our access staff with keeping the access site clean.

A prime example is that the Cowlitz Game and Anglers do a wonderful job helping us with clean-up at Kress Lake.

We have a TON of access sites in southwest Washington alone spread through our six counties. And we have ONE guy to work them. So you can see, we could use all the help we can get.

Not all the lakes have WDFW access sites. I don't know who is responsible for those lakes, generally it is State Parks, or City Parks that are responsible for keeping them clean.

If you or a group are interested let me know and I can hook you up with the right people in your area.

stace

#65493 - 03/26/02 06:54 PM Re: garbage
Banock Offline
Parr

Stacie,
I have a meeting with Sue Patnude from region 6 next week and we will probably discuss this, and thank you, I didn't know there was a program already in place. Some of us will do what we can.
Banock

#65494 - 03/26/02 08:57 PM Re: garbage
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
It's just sooooo wonderfull to see an active discussion and positive thoughts
and pledges of action on this issue. I have personally adopted two lakes I fish frequently
and Unfortunately I have to say I'm the only one I ever saw cleaning up the
shorelines and water. Every time I go back it's filthy again.
But the point is if enuff people consistantly adopt their favorite couple lakes
and both ASK people not to litter and spend the last hour cleaning up, there
would be good improvement on the problem..
I fished today and hit heavy wind after noon. Spent 1 1/2 hour walking the
shore looking for bugs and litter. Not much there yet on both counts but
just wait. Oh, I waz on a quality lake too.......so like I been saying 10% or less of
what you can expect on powerbait lake.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |